recent clutch install now no crank issue

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 B5.5 TDI/geared BSM, BV43A turbo,stage 2 TDTUNING. 2005 5sp manual passat tdi stage 2 tdtuning,BSM delete. 2015 Passat TDI 6sp manual.
This seems strange to me. I replaced the clutch in my manual B5.5 tdi passat and now have a no crank issue. I thought the blue switch on the clutch pedal was causing it but it appears to be functioning properly. I even disconnected it and jumpered it but the problem persists. I also replaced the little rubber coolant line that runs from the back of the head up to the radiator hose. It was rotten and quite a bit of coolant leaked out of it near the coolant flange and down the starter side of the engine. I replaced that hose and now suspect the coolant that came out of it could that have shorted the starter solenoid. Any ideas out there besides the obvious of testing the starter?

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS BHW sedan 5 speed conversion. BHW Carver SantaCruz in progress
Is it turning over? If not make sure the clutch safety switch is good.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Did you reconnect the big battery ground at the top of the bell housing?

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
If it's not turning over check the little wire for the solenoid on the side of the starter, they often break.

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
This seems strange to me. I replaced the clutch in my manual B5.5 tdi passat and now have a no crank issue. I thought the blue switch on the clutch pedal was causing it but it appears to be functioning properly. I even disconnected it and jumpered it but the problem persists. I also replaced the little rubber coolant line that runs from the back of the head up to the radiator hose. It was rotten and quite a bit of coolant leaked out of it near the coolant flange and down the starter side of the engine. I replaced that hose and now suspect the coolant that came out of it could that have shorted the starter solenoid. Any ideas out there besides the obvious of testing the starter?
I would doubt the solenoid being shorted out with just some coolant going onto it. I would more suspect loose wire, broken wire or something like that, but I would recommend checking and verifying you have voltage at the starter, then check the solenoid wire that is supposed to be hot in start, make sure that it is getting voltage as well.

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 B5.5 TDI/geared BSM, BV43A turbo,stage 2 TDTUNING. 2005 5sp manual passat tdi stage 2 tdtuning,BSM delete. 2015 Passat TDI 6sp manual.
it all came down to having the correct slave rod length: too short and the clutch dragged and starter wouldn't engage, too long and it slipped. After several variations in length, the sweet spot came at 2.875" tip-tip on that darn rod. I found no other way to get here other than experimenting with the rod length until I hit the sweet length. Those rods should have some adjustment in them but don't. The Valeo vwztips installed in this conversion back in 2013 was grabby and shook the whole car when engaging on takeoff and it was also slipping when I hit the throttle hard at around 35 in 4th so I assumed it was shot. When I removed it, it looked great with plenty of meat left on the disc. The LUK was installed and it felt awesome and smooth but was slipping same as the Valeo. After much research in old forums on Vortex, I noticed a consensus on oe manual B5 and 5.5 passats that were engaging really high on the pedal from the factory. So my issue makes sense as does the fix. I hope this helps anyone down the road experiencing similar issues with these magnificent manual passats.
BTW, cudos to the LUK DMF Aaron sells.