Received a letter from California Emissions

Screenial

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
I got a letter from the Air Resources Board of California asking for my vehicle to be part of a study which they are subcontracting out to a company called Automotive Testing and Development Services. They want to pay owners of test vehicles $1500 and let them use a loaner car while they test my vehicle. I of course have a lot of questions, but I did go to the governmental website. It does appear legit. My biggest question is will they alter my car.
Anyone else receive one of these letters?

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Yes; lots of people from California are reporting that letter.

No one knows what CARB is proposing to do with these. It goes beyond the ordinary real-world testing in which they keep the car for a week or so.

If you contemplate submitting your car, ask LOTS of questions and feel free to report here if you get any answers.
- Are they proposing to modify the car?
- If so, what is the nature of the modification?
- If the modification, or the nature of the testing, causes adverse effects or component failures in the future, whether foreseen or otherwise, who pays for future repairs?
- How much mileage are they proposing to put on the vehicle given the 3 month timeframe?

Personally, I'd just throw the letter in the garbage. $1500 isn't worth the risk. If CARB wants to test vehicle modifications for that sort of timeframe, they can darn well go out and buy one on the used market and assume the risk themselves.

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
Not only that - but next time try to do some searching for similar topics - you would think on something like this we would have had some previous posters with the same thing.

And I would agree with TADawson - "Pound Sand" is all the response this requires, if you even bother to respond to them....

rwolff

Veteran Member
TDI
None yet
For those people who want to sell but are facing the "dieselgate" (and dropping fuel price) depressed resale values, why don't they write to the folks at CARB offering to sell their TDIs at pre-scandal blue book values? If CARB bites (yes, I know they bite, but I didn't mean in that sense of the word:D), it could do whatever it wanted with the car BECAUSE IT WOULD BE THEIR CAR, NOT ONE BORROWED FROM A MEMBER OF THE PUBLIC - including crushing it at the end of their tests so that they could be sure it was taken out of circulation.

theguywiththelongestname

TDI
previous TDI owner
Here the weblink to the CARB FAQ "Motor Vehicle In-Use Testing Program"

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/inusecom/inusefaq.htm

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) About ARB's In-Use Test Program:
How long will my vehicle be kept for this test program?
In most cases, an owner's vehicle will be returned in 5 to 7 days. In some cases, extra testing may be required and the vehicle will be needed for a few more days. In these cases, the owner will be contacted and asked permission to keep the vehicle for an extended period of time. If an owner needs their vehicle back immediately, the vehicle will be returned promptly.
Is my vehicle insured while it is being tested?
The ARB fully insures the vehicle from the time they receive it from the owner's home or work and until they return the vehicle back to the owner. The rental vehicle that is loaned to the owner while the owner's vehicle is being tested is also fully insured.
What kind of rental car do I get?
The rental car supplied to an owner is a late model vehicle, comparable to the owner's vehicle, with automatic transmission and nicely equipped.
What kind of testing is performed on my vehicle?
The vehicle is tested for exhaust and evaporative emissions. The vehicle is placed on a dynamometer (a device that allows the vehicle to be driven at appropriate loads for a given speed inside a laboratory) and is driven utilizing a universal transient test cycle that closely duplicates basic driving conditions. As the vehicle is driven, the vehicle's exhaust is sampled and weighted against the mileage driven. When the test is completed, exhaust emissions such as hydrocarbons, carbon monoxide and oxides of nitrogen are quantified in grams/mile. Vehicles are also placed in a SHED (Sealed Housing Evaporative Determination) to determine what amount of hydrocarbon emissions are evaporating from the vehicle, while the vehicle is parked.
How many miles are added to my vehicle?
The mileage can vary but it's usually the distance between the vehicle pick up point to the ARB's Haagen-Smit Laboratory located in El Monte, California times two plus 100 miles. If the vehicle needs additional tests, the mileage added to the vehicle will be more.
When do I get my incentive check?
The ARB offers a monetary amount for participating in the test program. When the owner's vehicle is returned, the vehicle will have been washed and have a full tank of gas and an incentive check will be issued to the owner. If the owner's vehicle is not used for testing, a reduced incentive check will be issued to the owner, the vehicle will be returned with a full tank of gas and a car wash.
How do I participate in this program?
To participate, fill out the on-line registration form at this ARB Vehicle Test Programs web page, or completely fill out and mail back the Reply form that is sent from the contractor.
What if I don't want to participate?
The program is completely voluntary. If you don't want to participate, simply write 'Decline' on the Reply form and mail it back to us.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
I wonder if nicely equipped means a Corolla or Elantra with bluetooth.

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
I haven't received the letter but if you PM me the project number I'll submit my vehicle.

roflwaffle

Veteran Member
TDI
Maybe a TDI in the future. For now... D - 82 Rabbit, 63 190d; H - 00 Insight, 05 Prius ; G - 82 RN30
$1500 for letting someone drive my car on a dyno for a week or so sounds pretty sweet to me. Shoot, they even wash it and fill up the tank. I'd drop it off with a thick layer of grime and maybe a gallon left in there for good measure. :D

LogicBomb

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat
I signed up for it, but like some here, I have questions that I want answered in writing before I turn my car over. Some of my questions are;

Intent - What exactly will be done with my vehicle? Modifications? How many miles will be added (though I doubt they'll surpass my 700+ weekly)?

Responsibility for damage - If they're out driving my car and get into an accident, are they responsible or is my insurance going to have to foot the bill, and then me in the long term? Possible damage to the vehicle, exterior scrapes, curbed wheels, et all.

The time frame - The letter clearly states a "3 month period", in which they'll have my vehicle. Why do they need it for 3 months?

Theguywiththelongestname posted information that pertains to random field tests. This is hardly random, and seems to be much more intensive than just a hop on the dyno and take some readings.

UFO

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle
$1500 for letting someone drive my car on a dyno for a week or so sounds pretty sweet to me. Shoot, they even wash it and fill up the tank. I'd drop it off with a thick layer of grime and maybe a gallon left in there for good measure. :D
I wouldn't want my tank filled with gas. Just saying.

DaveC

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf GL, 5 spd, Mohave beige, 2015 Golf TDI red!
1+
I would like to sign up for this CARB test. Can someone please post the project number or send it to me by PM?

Thanks, Dave

DaveC

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf GL, 5 spd, Mohave beige, 2015 Golf TDI red!
I wonder if this testing will void your warranty?
If that were to happen, and CARB found out about it, they would send VW to burn in financial hell.
Think about it. CARB has VW over the barrel over this emissions issue. CARB would be angry if their testing on cars were to void the warranty on the cars they tested.
CARB can make the "fix" to the VW cars very expensive and painful to VW. VW does not want to make CARB any angrier than they are now.

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
Or return it not roadworthy . . . $1500 paid for $20,000 of wear and damage isn't my idea of a good trade . . . :) :)

- Tim

LogicBomb

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat
Has anyone heard back from CARB about this project? I sent a response back at the beginning of the year... no response yet

I have not, but I'm assuming this will come to fruition once VW has an accepted fix. Doesn't make much sense for them to take our cars until they have a working fix.

Brian's96TDIPASSAT

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Golf TDI SEL 14 Passat SEL, bought back by VW 11 Golf TDI, bought back by VW 05 Passat TDI 96 Passat TDI, sold
back in the late 80's through the 90's I worked for a CARB certified lab, we did full blown FTP75 emission testing which is the test that certifies cars for emissions, fuel economy etc. We used to "borrow" cars and depending on what our intent was, it might include modifications or just plain testing a component. I"m thinking they might want it pre and post software update to see if the fix complies to standards.