Rebuilding BRM Injectors? and what to do about dropped socket in engine

doug1976

TDI
2006 JETTA
I had been running with an injector errorcode P0272, etc. for a while and tried everything to fix it. Finally bit the bullet and installed a set of used injectors out a head with bad camshaft. That fixed it. No more error codes. Two questions.

1. I have a feeling that there is nothing wrong with my old injectors except maybe some trash stuck in the passageways (bad fuel?). I paid $300 for the used injectors and so I don't want to pay a bunch more to get my old injectors fixed. But I'd like a spare set. Can you recommend someone that can dissassemble and clean up my BRM injectors for a reasonable price?
  2. Darn if I didn't drop a 1/4" socket and 12 point down the oil passageway during the injector swap. I tried everything to fish it out. No luck. How big of deal? I don't hear any rattling and the engine is running like new.

jdhunt0

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta
I think VW meant to include a 1/4" socket when they built them. I also hear it helps with the cam wear problem.

Sorry. I guess I didn't add anything useful, but if I dropped a socket in my engine there is no way I would have started it up before getting it out.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
Don't run the car with the socket and that down there ffs or you'll end up with a bigger bill, get it out first by either using a telescopic magnet type tool or get the sump off and see if it's in there or if you can poke something up from the bottom to push it out.
As for the injectors drivbiwire does all that cleaning and refurb stuff.:)

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
Well did you get out? If not, you asking for trouble down the road.

Jnitrofish

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5, 2005.5, and 2006. 5m, 5m, and DSG.
First, if the tool made it to the bottom of the oil pan, I see little problem with running the car. The dense tool in far less dense oil will stay firmly against the bottom of the pan. I pulled my pan to replace the oil pump when I did my last camshaft and found dead bugs on the bottom of the pan, and if the bugs had been sucked up, they would have been caught in the screen on the oil pump.

With that said I would still go as far as to remove the pan to get the tools out.

BTW, you did get new rocker bolts (or already had reusable bolts) right?

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf VI TDI, 77 kW (CAYC)
How did bugs get there?

And are you sure you really dropped the socket?

RT1

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf 1.9 TDI w/tiptronic 09A
I'm in that "been there done that" only in my case it was an allen socket
down the head drain (note to self: put rag in hole next time) in my Izuzu. I turned the engine by hand until I heard a "clunk" indicating my socket had hit the sump. In that case the sump was so deep that I wasn't worried about it. The fact is a steel tool isn't going to move too quickly through oil but you still need to be concerned about the crank shaft clearance relative to the sump. If the tool migrates into a position where it gets caught between the crank throw and the sump it could blow a hole through the aluminum leaving you stranded with no oil. It's probably worth the effort to drop the pan just for peace of mind.

doug1976

TDI
2006 JETTA
Tools in Sump All Gone

Recovered all the parts with a magnet during an oil change. Oil Pan was recently pulled for another job and nothing was found. So I must have fished them all out during the oil change.
Still have 4 injectors looking for someone to rebuild them.