Reattaching my hood insulation

vwdsmguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf black 5-spd
It is attached at the edges, but hangs on the engine in the middle. Are there metal ribs on the hood bottom side that I could screw with washers the insulation into, without piercing the hoods outer surface? I haven't pulled it down to look at so far, but there must be something to screw to. Anyone do this?

ToxicDoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, S7, .216
There are several clips as mentioned. They get brittle and crack with age. See if they're still available.

GEFP

Veteran Member
TDI
2- 2001 Jettas, 2 - 2002 Jettas (1 for parts) 2003 1.8t Jetta (parts) 2014 Jetta
What I did with an old truck was run twine from clip to clip in the problem areas. Tie it off on the first clip and then run the twine to the next one. Wrap it around the clip and then move on the the next clip. It didn't look the fanciest but it worked.

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
I recently Amazoned a replacement hood insulation kit that comes with new clips.
So they are being made. The VW dealership may also stock them.

Blacktree

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta 5-spd
Last edited:

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
I tried spray adhesive on mine - the insulation still sagged (separated). Ripped it all off.

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
My insulation is old and started to sag causing the slots where the clips go in to be elongated a tad, enough so even replacing the clips wouldn't hold it.

I created some "washers" from a plastic bin i was about to throw out anyway to help the clips hold better. The plastic is thin enough to fit in the gap.

Last edited:

vwdsmguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf black 5-spd
hood insulation

First, thanks for the clip info however I used several sheetrock screws with fender washers and carefully drilled into the diagonal hood braces that I could see when I pulled the front of the insulation down about an an inch. This is the same fix I used on my sagging headliner after reading about the PITA replacment proceedure. At this point in my cars life I don't care so much about looks. I don't even notice the screws anymore.

Blacktree

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta 5-spd
My insulation is old and started to sag causing the slots where the clips go in to be elongated a tad, enough so even replacing the clips wouldn't hold it.

I created some "washers" from a plastic bin i was about to throw out anyway to help the clips hold better. The plastic is thin enough to fit in the gap.

That looks pretty familiar. They say great minds think alike. ;)

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
First, thanks for the clip info however I used several sheetrock screws with fender washers and carefully drilled into the diagonal hood braces that I could see when I pulled the front of the insulation down about an an inch. This is the same fix I used on my sagging headliner after reading about the PITA replacment proceedure. At this point in my cars life I don't care so much about looks. I don't even notice the screws anymore.
Hope you used sheet metal drywall screws and not the wood version. There is a difference in holding grip.