rearview mirror

Rosie

I have a 2001 Beetle and there is a vibration affecting the rearview mirror. In daylight all objects are blurred, at night the other cars headlights form a solid stream of light. The dealer says the mirror is fastened tight and as of yet cannot come up with another solution. Says the problem is only on the diesel models.

DeafBug

Gone but Never Forgotten: Requiescat In Pace
TDI
2001 NB
I have 2001 NB also and my rearview mirror does not vibrate to make the pictures blur. It vibrates when I ride on a crack filled road. When the road is new or no cracks, no vibrations. But it does not vibrate to blur pictures. Yours must be so bad.

Saw another post about the same issue only with loud music. Guess that is common in any car.

ertzog

Veteran Member
TDI
2K Golf, 05 Sprinter 118
I've never noticed any vibration at all. The comment that it is only diesels is a good indicator to find another dealer.

------------------
Blk/Blk Debadged 2000 Golf GL TDI

STNK BG 1

Veteran Member
TDI
NB,2001,yellow
On our recent vacation, I discovered that the mirror vibrated enough to blur vision between 80-85mph. Slowing below that cleared it right up. (and improved mileage)

------------------
2k1 NB 5 spd Yellow. CD changer, mud flaps. No engine mods
Putting my trust in German engineering.
Gisteren een droom...heden werkelykheid

Rosie

Well just so you know...mine does it at any speed over 40 mph and is the WORST between 55 and 65mph. Since that is the majority of the speed I drive I don't think doing 40mph on highways will work.
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by STNK BG 1:
On our recent vacation, I discovered that the mirror vibrated enough to blur vision between 80-85mph. Slowing below that cleared it right up. (and improved mileage)

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Rosie

Did you tell your dealer about it, and if so what was the response? I was told that there have not been any other complaints!
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by NBKrissie:
I have that vibration also. Figured I'd have to learn to live with it.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Janusz

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2000
See if the vibration goes away after you turn your radio down.

Seriously my mirror never resonates to the road or the engine but will vibrate ever so slightly from the loud speakers (loud louspeakers, whatever).

------------------
John/Y2K Golf GLS TDI auto

gardentender

RIP, Gone But Not Forgotten
TDI
Jetta GL 5 spd, 2001, Galactic Blue
there was a similar complaint from someone with an Asian name in here a month or so ago.
I think(?) he had a NB, too.

NBKrissie

Veteran Member
Hi Rosie:

Took Wolfie for a spin to get specifics on this: I get the vibration ONLY when the road is pretty rough or bumpy combined with speeds over 40 mph. All other times quality is good. I'm wondering if your mirror is stable? Perhaps it was mounted wrong or the mirror is defective, or both.

------------------
01 NB GLS TDI Techno-Blau

y2kBug

My wife's 2k NB had a similar problem with vibration induced blurring in the rear-view. While climbing into the car one day, she knocked it loose. Being mechanically inept, I was unable to return it to its original mounted condition. I took it to my dealer who reassembled the mirror...and the blurring went away. It's possible that the mirror was not quite properly seated and that the reassembly put it into its proper alignment.

The NB mirror isn't attached to the windshield and seems to be a bit more sensitive to vibration than the windshield mount in my 2k1 Jetta.

I'm not suggesting that you start yanking on the mirror to pull it loose, but you might suggest the dealer check the seating for misalignment.

Have a good one,
Dan