Rearview mirror upgrade?

AGreen

TDI
2002 Golf TDI, 5 speed; 2015 Passat TDI, DSG
My rearview mirror is in bad shape. Rather than simply replacing it, has anyone upgraded to a newer mirror with auto dimming? Perhaps even something from a non-VW with homelink and compass?? Seems like I can tap power from the dome light fairly easily.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
I know people have taken MKV mirrors that have auto dimming and compass functions in them and put them in MKIVs, looks pretty nice too. Not all MKVs came with them though.

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
I put a homelink one in mine - was a bit of fun to get switched and unswitched power for it, but definitely worth it.

RexNICO

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Tiguan, 2011 Q7
The easiest to find is an auto-dimming compass from an Audi A6/C5. Though the A4/B7 & A6/C6 with the hidden compass display is pretty neat.
The main challenge with any aftermarket with Homelink, etc is the windshield mount. Though there are twist to slip mount adapters.
I still have lots of different mirrors (whole units and parts) if you’re interested.

Here is MoGolf's OEM+ how to.... but it requires the (GLX/GTI/GLI) windshield with the proper mount.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=38714&highlight=autodimming
This covers adding both auto-dimming and a rain sensor, which admittedly is a much more complex (& expensive) undertaking.

Last edited:

AGreen

TDI
2002 Golf TDI, 5 speed; 2015 Passat TDI, DSG
Thanks for the replies. MoGolf went more than knee deep on his upgrade - impressive.
Integration into the car (rain sensing) besides power is too much effort/cost for this car. I’m looking for easiest. Dimming and compass for sure. Homelink would be nice, but I don’t want to turn this into a project. In our 2015 Passat, homelink is in the sunvisor. I could add that later. Is homelink possibly in the mirror on the Audi?

Trying to use the existing MKIV twist mount on the windshield limits my choices, but that’s ok. I broke a windshield once while trying to pry the mirror mount off for another project, so I’m reluctant to try that again. That glue is tenacious.

Genesis - I was thinking I would tap into the overhead light which I assume is unswitched since you can turn on the light when the car is off. Is that correct?

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
You need both switched and unswitched power for the mirror technically, although switched is actually enough. The reason is that the Homelink works with the ignition off, but the light, auto-dim (which it has) and compass you do not want on when the ignition is off. It wants both power leads.

If I remember correctly I got an adapter for the mirror mount as I didn't want to screw with trying to take the other one off, and that was successful. There is only ONE manufacturer for Homelink mirrors -- they have a patent, so no matter where you get it they're all made by one company (which is why they all look mostly the same too.)

OE VW has the Homelink buttons and transmitter on the sunvisor. I couldn't find one at the local scrapyards, so I went that direction with the mirror some 10+ years ago, and like it a lot. The auto-dimming rear view mirror is a nice bonus doing it this way.

RexNICO

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Tiguan, 2011 Q7
This is old, so ignore the pricing and availability, but should give you an idea of options.
And as far as I know, there was not an Audi with Homelink.
On a somewhat related note, I just picked up a Nexx garage NXG-200 that gives me phone based control, alerts & geofencing.
That said, I've never used Homelink in 1 of my cars, I just use the sliding function of the visor in my MKIV

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
Does the MkV auto-dimming mirror work any better than the MkVII?

As far as I can tell the auto dimming feature is useless. It never dims when I would want it to. When I drive my wife’s car at night I have to flip the mirror up so I can’t see anything.

MkIV forever!

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
The one I have is a "generic" and it dims just fine when someone is blasting you with headlights from the rear at night.

RexNICO

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Tiguan, 2011 Q7
Does the MkV auto-dimming mirror work any better than the MkVII?

As far as I can tell the auto dimming feature is useless. It never dims when I would want it to. When I drive my wife’s car at night I have to flip the mirror up so I can’t see anything.

MkIV forever!

I've never used an MKVII (unless a 2014 Tiguan counts), so I couldn't say.
Have you tested the mirror to make sure it works at all? If you use a bright LED flash light, you can make it dim during broad daylight. Cover the front sensor and shine the flashlight directly into the sensor on the glass side.

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
I've never used an MKVII (unless a 2014 Tiguan counts), so I couldn't say.
Have you tested the mirror to make sure it works at all? If you use a bright LED flash light, you can make it dim during broad daylight. Cover the front sensor and shine the flashlight directly into the sensor on the glass side.
Maybe I'll have to give that a try. The mirror has been exactly the same since the day the car was new. It either never worked, or that's just how it is.

My wife is not bothered by it. She claims it works.

I mean, I have seen it kind of go slightly dimmer under certain circumstances, but much later than I would have liked, and not dim enough. Maybe that's just how it is?

I think it sucks, but I drive it like 1% of the time, and it doesn't bother her, so whatever. I have just made a mental note to never buy one if I buy a new car one day. Or at least I need to see it work before I buy.