Rear wiper blade on Golf--warning to all.

gdunn

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2k, Green, Auto: Jetta 2003, Black, Manual
I'm sad to say I let my rear wiper blade go WAY too long before replacing it and I've now got some body work to do.

I hadn't noticed, but the tip of the blade was hitting the center portion of the frame of the window and has now removed the paint for about a 1 inch stretch. There are signs of rust starting already.

It looks like, with a properly maintained blade, the arm is lifted far enough off the window to stop this from happening.

I think I'll replace mine with a blade that is 1 inch shorter than what's on it now (it's currently the original blade that came with the car).

From what I've heard of the 10-year rust warranty, it only applies to rust holes coming from 'behind' the metal (so it doesn't cover stone chips and the like from surface damage) (can anyone comment on this?). This is definitely surface damage so presumably won't be covered, although it looks to me like a very obvious design problem. Shortening the blade wouldn't reduce the area cleaned by much, but would certainly ensure this never happens.

I thought others might want to know about this potential problem...

MileageDude

Veteran Member
I replace wiper blades like my girl friend replaces shoes. It's been such a POOR winter, poorer spring and a BAD start to a summer with weather here in NYC that my blades, front and back have been replaced three times.

From your post you read as if you lived in AZ without anything but sunny weather and clear skies without any snow? Canada right? Like Florida, an A at the end?

Or? Am I missing something here.

M.D.

MileageDude

Veteran Member
Rust through warranty means that the rust has to start from the inside out, not the surface inward. It's a policy with car builders since repocessed metal hit Japan in the late 70's.

You do have a paint warranty. That you can hope to collect on.

M.D.

JettaWagonTDI1

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon GLS 2002 Candy White with Gold Pinstripe
I replaced my Jetta Wagon's rear wiper when I realized that I could not see very well. I went to my local Wal-Mart and bought a 15" ANCO replacement for $3.87 + tax. No headaches, worries, etc. I plan on replacing it yearly because they're cheap.

Shawn

snoopis

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS TDI, 5spd
Has anyone noticed, after you use the rear-wiper for a while, the only part that gets covered with water is the spot that the wiper covers?

The water will just run off on the outer edges of the window, and the area swept by the wiper is the only area that needs a wiper LOL. It just seems like using the wiper attracts water to stick to your rear window.
Maybe I just need to wash more often. I rarely use my rear wiper any more...

But now that you mention it, I've had the same blades since I bought the car in August!

MileageDude

Veteran Member
Has anyone noticed,...
You have a vacuum flow from exhaust that collects on the entire rear window as you drive. The vacuum is pulling up soot from the exhaust system. That soot is oils. Your wiper then cleans the rear window glass when you use it. So the out lined section of window glass that has not been touched by the wiper still maintains the oils and residue left from the vacuumed up exhaust deposited on the glass. The rain/water runs off the oiled glass section.

Make sence?

M.D.

mtltdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf GLS, Indigo Blue
Cool! I always wondered why that happened on my van. Maybe I should put olive oil in my wiper fluid.