Rear wheel bearing washer part number?

4x4toy

Veteran Member
TDI
97 Passat sedan
Looking for a part number for the washer on rear bearings. Time to do bearings again!! Want to put new ones in this time. Had some wear last time.

Thanks.

Graham Archer

Veteran Member
TDI
96 & 97 Passat, 99.5 Jetta, 00 Golf
Sorry I don't know the number, but here is a link to the washer : http://www.germanautoparts.com/productdisplay/78034

But I'm curious, I just changed mine and the existing ones looked much sturdier than the ones that came in the kit. So I just re-used the old ones (you are welcome to the new ones but I doubt it is worth the bother). My question is how did your washers wear? They are in there without much force at all.

Graham

4x4toy

Veteran Member
TDI
97 Passat sedan
Thanks for the link. Previous owner did not maintain vehicle correctly. Over tightened wheel bearings. I need to replace the axle stubs from the bearings spinning on them at one time, hence bad washers.

4x4toy

Veteran Member
TDI
97 Passat sedan
Found a Dorman part that fits perfect. Part number 618-021. Found it at Rockauto. $3.45 for a box of 5.

The washers I removed from my car measured 2mm thick these were 3.2mm thick. Made in USA also.

luceberg

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat Estate
I had the problem with the inner bearing spinning on the stub axle, causing the bearing to wear. I replaced the stub axle, but the bearing still spun on it, so I ended up using bearing lock fluid on it. That solved it, no more worn bearings.

JohnJTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat 2005.5 jetta
I had the problem with the inner bearing spinning on the stub axle, causing the bearing to wear. I replaced the stub axle, but the bearing still spun on it, so I ended up using bearing lock fluid on it. That solved it, no more worn bearings.
What is "bearing lock fluid"; never heard of it??