Rear wheel bearing questions

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 2000 Jetta TDI 2000 New Beetle TDI ALL 5 speeds
I'm chasing a bearing sound(speed sensitive whine) and I replaced the right rear, the sound is still present. When a swerve to the left it gets quiet but it sounded loudest from the right. Could there be any other reason for an audible whine that is very noticeable at 20, 40 and 60 mph but not so much in between? Am I looking at the wrong end of the car? Could it be front bearings? I'm replacing the other rear tomorrow...the right rear looked pretty worn and was happy to see as I thought it would fix my noise but it didn't

And yes I've pushed the clutch in and the noise remains when coasting.

Who or where did kmm bearings come from

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
I noticed that the front end is misleading. The inner CV joints can fool you and make you think the opposite is whining.

Sent from my Armor_2 using Tapatalk

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
I replaced all the boots and the left inner tore within a week, ID parts had the CV and boot on sale so I bought it knowing that dirt road life would make sure I changed it at some point, guess it may be time after I swap the other rear wheel bearing...the chassis has 327k miles and the right one had a good amount of wear.

Anyone know anything good or bad about kmm bearings?

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
Have you checked the bushings? More specifically the rear and the spring bushings.
Don't know if you've noticed, but, the rear wheels on VW's kinda straighten as the speed increases. This has always been the case. Generally the pitch in at the top and front of the rear wheel. The bushings and the dust shields are things I would look at as well.

Sent from my Armor_2 using Tapatalk

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
Poly bushings about a year ago and the spring bushings are still there, looked at them when I was swapping the wheel bearing

Last edited:

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
I just went through this on my car.
My noise would at first start at around 55-60 mph , above that or below that it would be fine.
As time went on it got worse, I couldn’t tell which side it was and the noise started at different speeds as time went on.
I finally had one of my kids sit in the back to determine which side it was.
On mine the right appeared worse, as with you left turns no noise right turns horrible.
I ordered two rear bearings going to do the right one first.

With me that fixed my issue.

I cut open the bearing and found the inner inboard race to be completely spalled.

I did not have to change the lh bearing.
In your case I would do the lh bearing. And see what happens, just my .02.

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
Unless both were making noise...it does seem to be coming from the left now

Tomorrow I'm changing the left and if it's still howling maybe I'll swap out the passenger inner CV joint

No response on kmm bearings...Google search doesn't reveal much... hoping the bearing I swapped today is good...I didn't have a tq wrench but it should be somewhere around 85 pounds ish, maybe I can borrow a torque wrench and verify

Last edited:

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
It was the left rear, when I loosened up the nut and spun it, it was super noisy, swapped it out and sound is gone...

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Glad you found it!