Rear view Camera for Golf TDI S

simo7708

TDI
2015 VW Golf TDI S 6MT
Is it possible to add a rearview camera to the TDI S? I noticed that the S and SE have the same headunit (minus the Fender audio) and the SE comes with a rearview camera standard.

Would a rearview camera be plug and play (plus VCDS tweaking) on the S, or are the headunit control modules completely different on the S and SE?

Is there somewhere I can look to see if the headunit part numbers for the S and SE are the same?

Edit: mods, can you fix my spelling error in the thread title? Oops

Last edited:

otsoko19

TDI
2015 VW Golf TDI S AT
Tagging along as well... Rearview camera would help with my terrible reverse parking skills.

Caseyb476

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SE 6spd man
I would think this is fairly involved. There is a motor under the VW badge, to open it for the camera. I'm going to guess you have to replace a few pieces to get that thing to open.

forcedfedbug

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta, Totalled late 11. 2012 Passat TDI w/DSG and a 2012 Golf TDI. Golf traded for a 2013 beetle
Rvc

The camera is really a straight forward replacement of the badge. Stringing the wires to go up front is what takes a bit. A professional installer can do it in under an hour. The issue would be if the radio came with the input. The vcds tweak is a checkbox.

Ron

Caseyb476

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SE 6spd man
The camera is really a straight forward replacement of the badge. Stringing the wires to go up front is what takes a bit. A professional installer can do it in under an hour. The issue would be if the radio came with the input. The vcds tweak is a checkbox.
Ron
But isn't it pricey? I guess that's where I was going with it.

simo7708

TDI
2015 VW Golf TDI S 6MT

Ron
This.

That is the basis of my question: does the TDI S headunit have an input for a rearview camera?

WiszMaster

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta TDI - Silver, '06 Golf TDI, '06 MB 320 CDI

WiszMaster

Veteran Member
TDI
Review Camera for Golf TDI S

This is my head unit. And Yes, it really is 80*F out today!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WiszMaster

Veteran Member
TDI
Does anyone know how the large trim around the headunit comes off? I tried tugging on it some, didn't seem to budge, but also didn't want to tear it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

forcedfedbug

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta, Totalled late 11. 2012 Passat TDI w/DSG and a 2012 Golf TDI. Golf traded for a 2013 beetle
how to get trim off

Not sure on the golf but for my beetle it was on there very good. I used a spatula to pop the spots that have the clips that hold it down. The first time I watched the installer put the pieces together though. the first time I did it I was sure the plastic pieces were going to break it took so much force. I have since taken it 10-15 times and it still seems to take too much effort. You may want to talk to a professional radio installer and see if they can show you. The place that did mine let me watch it go back together so I could do it myself later.

Ron

simo7708

TDI
2015 VW Golf TDI S 6MT
Why would you have to remove the headunit for this? Aren't the 'brains' in the glove compartment?

otsoko19

TDI
2015 VW Golf TDI S AT
http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7618

It looks like someone was successful on a GTI base model. It came without camera, no Navi, and also no fender sound system. I think this confirms that our base S head unit(which it seems the base GTI also shares) can have rear view camera installed without issues. I hope... Lol

Last edited:

atl630

TDI
2015 Golf S
I found this on aliexpress for $299: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/OEM-...SS-FOR-GOLF-MK7-MIB-HEADUNIT/32253257675.html

The wiring harness looks the same as the one on kufatec, but I don't have a MK7 (yet) so I cannot be the guinea pig..

As far as the radio being compatible - I am fairly certain it is, but if someone with a SE/SEL can post a VCDS Auto scan and someone with a S can post one then we can compare part #s and see if its the same radio..

otsoko19

TDI
2015 VW Golf TDI S AT
I found this on aliexpress for $299: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/OEM-...SS-FOR-GOLF-MK7-MIB-HEADUNIT/32253257675.html
The wiring harness looks the same as the one on kufatec, but I don't have a MK7 (yet) so I cannot be the guinea pig..
As far as the radio being compatible - I am fairly certain it is, but if someone with a SE/SEL can post a VCDS Auto scan and someone with a S can post one then we can compare part #s and see if its the same radio..

Did you end up buying the camera from the site? 300 is pretty cheap and would love to hear what the outcome may have been. Thanks!

WiszMaster

Veteran Member
TDI

otsoko19

TDI
2015 VW Golf TDI S AT
This is the reason why I stay away from the "OEM" gear on AliExpress. I'm by no means claiming that the AliExpress version is a fake, knockoff, or lesser quality part, but I'm just not wanting to risk it. Very frequently the items direct from China/waiwann are knockoffs, b/c bin parts, or rejects, or plain fakes.
https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/comparison-intel-i350-t4-genuine-vs-fake.6917/

Hmmm... i didn't know it said OEM, I'm pretty sure it is a knockoff buy still wondered of someone did try it.

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
The backup camera is over rated.

To back up, you need to turn around and look out the back window. When you do this, you can't see the camera.

For the last three feet you can use it to get really close to something.

I've tried it, and in my opinion it is nearly useless. I barely even bother to look at it.

It's not an 18 wheeler, it's a tiny car.

andyrooski17

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE DSG

To back up, you need to turn around and look out the back window. When you do this, you can't see the camera.

I've tried it, and in my opinion it is nearly useless. I barely even bother to look at it.

I felt this way at first, coming from a non-camera civic Si hatch, but over time i've grown to like the camera. It's not great for backing up along long winding driveways, but I really like it for simple things like backing into a parking spots. It really gives you a great look at the lines, which is always tough with the head turn method.

CoJoNEs

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf; 2015 Golf

You don't need to turn around and look out the back window. I almost never do this anymore. Backing up requires your mirrors. The backup camera is really nice for backing into parking spaces.

otsoko19

TDI
2015 VW Golf TDI S AT
You don't need to turn around and look out the back window. I almost never do this anymore. Backing up requires your mirrors. The backup camera is really nice for backing into parking spaces.
My mirrors are set like this >>>> http://www.caranddriver.com/features/how-to-adjust-your-mirrors-to-avoid-blind-spots . I would have to adjust them every time I reverse(which is rare because i don't like messing with my mirrors). Thats why the rearview camera for me would be great addition!

mdroid86

TDI
2015 Golf TDI S, 2012 Jetta TDI Premium (sold)
i added it to my S about 4 months ago. i enjoy it. i bought the camera from carsystems.pl
there is no connector like the previous generations. the regular harness from the glove box just gets 2 pins added to it along with vcds.

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey

For the last three feet you can use it to get really close to something. I've tried it, and in my opinion it is nearly useless. I barely even bother to look
at it. It's not an 18 wheeler, it's a tiny car.
Yea if you live in a house and pull straight into a your garage and back out,
park in a regular parking lot... no problem. However I park in a large concrete
parking garage with tight spots, concrete pillars and fairly dark. My MK6 is
very blind to the rear....