Rear sway bar size choice: MK4

cuban11182

Veteran Member
TDI
1984 CJ w/ ALH and 1994 XJ w/ PD150/ALH hybrid
I'm looking to add a rear sway bar to my MK4. I have a 23mm front that I plan to change the bushings out to poly. My suspension is new, but stock and I plan to keep it that way. I want to increase the handling of the car a little, but by no means do I plan to race it or go full crazy with it. I have a 1756 hybrid turbo, injectors and Stage 4 so I'm making more power than stock.

Talking with my father he said that if I go too large in the back I could really change the dynamics in the way the car handles. I live in Miami, but I'm retiring to Faytteville North Carolina so the Northern snow isn't an issue for me. Would it be best to just get a 22mm rear? Should I go bigger than that? Since I've read that there are potential issues with the way the vehicle handles, I want to say that I feel more than comfortable driving aggressively (if that's a potential concern).

Thanks in advance.

ToxicDoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, S7, .216
Almost every generic car on the market for the past few decades is set up to understeer. That is what you are used to driving. It reduces some turn-in performance but is much safer for the average driver than oversteer ("fishtailing" if it breaks loose). If you add a rear bar, it should be very small given the description of your driving/application.

cuban11182

Veteran Member
TDI
Almost every generic car on the market for the past few decades is set up to understeer. That is what you are used to driving. It reduces some turn-in performance but is much safer for the average driver than oversteer ("fishtailing" if it breaks loose). If you add a rear bar, it should be very small given the description of your driving/application.
Thank you ToxicDoc.

nitec

Vendor
TDI
1.9TDi PD

I had the 25mm Neuspeed bar at the back of my Golf and it was probably my favorite upgrade on that car...the Koni coilovers were a massive waste of money but that sway bar made driving the car a ton of fun...up here in the winter I could get that car sideways in the snow without issues in a fully controlled drift (a bit of left foot braking to initiate - didn't even need the hand brake)

I guess it will always depend on your driving preference but I wouldn't hesitate to do it again any time...if you really want a nice stiff ride you could add the front as well but the rear will make the most difference...

cuban11182

Veteran Member
TDI

I guess it will always depend on your driving preference but I wouldn't hesitate to do it again any time...if you really want a nice stiff ride you could add the front as well but the rear will make the most difference...
You're killing me smalls!! All I see is the 28mm from them. What position do you have the link in?

nitec

Vendor
TDI
1.9TDi PD
I might have the sizing wrong - I think they only have the one size so 28mm maybe makes more sense...tightest setting on the bar - dial back if you find you're having too much fun :)

do watch out until you get used to it though...the car caught me out on an on-ramp the first few weeks after installing it...I was taking it as fast as I normally do and all of a sudden I noticed the back coming out, which it's never done before...If I hadn't caught it, it might have ended a bit messy...the point is as stated above the dynamics of the vehicle change so drive with a bit of caution in the beginning....

btw - not much to break on this so maybe find a second hand unit...tons of people parting their mk4s so these things are all over the place...just clean and grease up the link bearings because they get packed with grime and seize where they are