Rear springs

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
What's people using for rear springs? This is the SEL. Looking to maintain stock ride height, will be parring with B6, I prob wouldn't mind it a little more stiff to avoid squat.

Online parts dealers im seeing color codes on PN for 1 lilac, 1 white 2 yellow.

I haven't crawled under the car yet to see what is currently installed.

Last edited:

tristan81491

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
I need to do my rear suspension soon as it's about .5 or .75 inch lower than my parent' 2015 that has 65K versus my 160K. I am planning to see what colors are on the springs and go the OE route as everything (except for the sag) has been fine. The only other issue was in the last 2,000 miles, my front sway bar started to develop a knock on some bumps and I got the links to swap out, but recently my DPF was replaced under the warranty and they had to drop the subframe and in doing so it seems to have fixed (possibly only temporarily) the noise.

I may be in the minority here, but I find that the suspension on these cars are not bad for what the car is but I am open to hearing about other options as well.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Just like the mk5 the rear suspension comes from I fear i have a broken spring or shock mount as there's a good clunk going over bumps, think is coming from the left rear, but not sure.

I too also have no major complaints with the stock suspension, the Bilstein B6 and mounts were a killer deal, figure why not see what we can do.

danmin

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat 2.0 TDI @ 180k
The rear suspension is a pain to deal with. I just did my rear shocks. Good luck.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It's the same as a mk5 so should be straight forward, I did rear springs and shocks on that and wasn't thrown for too many loops.

Maybe its needing it on jack stands and using a jack to release tension on the control arm to undo the bolts

I've already upgraded to an H&R RSB on the Passat.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI

So def looks like white, liliac, yellow. , but not double yellow.

This is the right rear, with broken ear.

What's the other markings to the right, pink & blue, assembly check marks?

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Don't touch it, its structural rust!!!!

don't get me started, mind you this has only been on the road as a daily since 2017 and has been garage kept since then. It isn't the primary winter car either, the alltrack is even worse :(

Not sure if the warmish garage speeds up the satan slurry they use on the roads eat into everything. The front subframe and control arm looks much better.

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I took the two year old on his first field trip to the dealer for rear lower control arm bolts and nuts for the spring job, tossed him the part numbers,

N10628601 M12X1.50x75

This is what he gave me, two different length bolts. The kid wanted to run around the dealer and climb in the show cars, so I didn't inspect too much of what he tossed me, paid and left.

Looking the PN it up it should be 75mm long which the shorter does measure from collar to tip, but just seems kinda short. Other bolt measures 90mm from collar to tip.

So how does VW measure the bolt length, did I just get a slightly longer bolt?

p.e.fletcher

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE/2011 Golf TDI
It's the same as a mk5 so should be straight forward, I did rear springs and shocks on that and wasn't thrown for too many loops.

Maybe its needing it on jack stands and using a jack to release tension on the control arm to undo the bolts

I've already upgraded to an H&R RSB on the Passat.
Yeah rears didn’t seem too tough to me. I’m running H&R Sport Spings with Koni Yellows was a huge upgrade from stock on the NMS imo.

p.e.fletcher

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE/2011 Golf TDI
I took the two year old on his first field trip to the dealer for rear lower control arm bolts and nuts for the spring job, tossed him the part numbers,

N10628601 M12X1.50x75

This is what he gave me, two different length bolts. The kid wanted to run around the dealer and climb in the show cars, so I didn't inspect too much of what he tossed me, paid and left.

Looking the PN it up it should be 75mm long which the shorter does measure from collar to tip, but just seems kinda short. Other bolt measures 90mm from collar to tip.

So how does VW measure the bolt length, did I just get a slightly longer bolt?
I used this kit for the rear and it looks like one bolt is slightly longer than other, although not fully threaded. Part numbers are listed in the details you could double check:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
yeah those longer ones without threads are for shock to the spindle. Form what I've seen those aren't TTY.

But comparing the picture of the shorter ones with the 4 top strut mount bolts, I think I got one correct bolt and one longer bolt.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
After 100K miles, one broken ear on a spring, those new B6 and springs were well worth the effort. Seems to have settled in maybe 1/2" higher after 200 miles, but I had felt the rear was sagging so it's prob back to stock.

Now I'm debating if it'll be worth the $ to do b6 with new springs up front. It was under 400 all said and done for b6 shocks and springs out back, pricing out fronts looks like closer to $600, plus some tools as I've never done struts.