Rear rotor issue at 250 miles

agmx

TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium TDI w/DSG; 2002 F250 Lariat 7.3L PowerStroke; sold 2006 Jetta TDI Pkg 2
As I walked up to the car yesterday, I noticed grooves in the passenger side rear rotor. When I looked at the drivers side, grooves are there but in different positions. Today I noticed a third groove starting on the drivers side rotor. I have an appointment with the dealer tomorrow but thought I would check here to see if anyone else has had this issue. The brakes seem to work fine; not pulling, squealing or anything else annoying. The front rotors are smooth and I checked 2 co-workers Passat's and their rear rotors are also smooth. As soon as I figure out how to post pictures I will do so.

Last edited:

skinnyb

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI
Both of my front ones are like this. The dealer told me it is usually a rock that gets trapped in between the caliper and causes the wear. Still stops fine so I haven't been to worried about it.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Salsaman06

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL (sold back to VWoA Dec 21, 2016)
A rock? Seriously? Your dealer is smoking something. My right front rotor is showing abnormal wear. Will point it out at the 10 K checkup coming up soon and see what they say.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

charley654

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW S DSG
My rear rotors were the same way,
no I am at 4K miles, and the grooves are gone. I think they were gone at 1000 miles.
It will go away on its own, I think it is the new brake pads need to break -in.
You may be wasting your time taking it back to the dealer.

skinnyb

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI
Mine has 40 K now. They haven't gotten any worse so I am not to worried about it.

charley654

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW S DSG
When you are at the dealer look at a few new cars that have been test driven, those will have some unusual marks on the rotor as well.

xr650rguy

TDI
Passat 2013 SE
I had unusual marks (like the pad was making uneven contact (groove "looking" lines around the circumference) for the first 1500 miles or so. It went away. Probably just bedding in the brakes.

agmx

TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium TDI w/DSG; 2002 F250 Lariat 7.3L PowerStroke; sold 2006 Jetta TDI Pkg 2
I had looked at 2 co-workers cars (both about 4 months old) and they didn't have the grooves. I checked a few at the dealer and they didn't either. The mechanic went with the "some of them break in that way". I had it documented and will follow up with them at my 30 day courtesy check. Hopefully they will be gone by then since I drive at least 100 miles a day commuting to and from work. It has been a long time since I have bought a brand new car and I just wanted to make sure I wouldn't get blamed for something that happened in the first 250 miles of driving. And I'm still trying to figure out how to post pictures. I keep getting a box asking for the URL of the attachment.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
You have to host the pictures on another site. We have a picture server available at http://pics.tdiclub.com ... once you upload the pictures, you will need to provide links to their URLs.

agmx

TDI
Finally.....pictures

Thanks for the help on how to post pictures. Here they are:

Passenger rear rotor

Drivers rear rotor

agmx

TDI
My thought exactly. I don't buy the "some break in this way, some don't", but I'm not taking the wheels off until after my 30 day check up, if they pull the same thing. Front ones are fine and the inside of the rear rotors feel/look fine; hard to see though.

skinnyb

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI
My rears at fine but my fronts look exactly like that. 40k plus and they haven't gotten any worse. Pads are fine and it stops great with no noise or anything.

charley654

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW S DSG
SOme disc brake pads are riveted with several rivets 6-8, some are glued to the metal backing plate.
(most) also have a groove in the actual friction material ( the one that touches the rotor) one or more groove across the pad material.
Brake pads are also semi metallic, or ceramic, meaning the actual friction material have metal pieces in them.
Grooving of the rotor is normal. this will be more apparent if you re in an area with water or snow. Moisture will settle into the grooves and show up as rusty looking thing.
Heavy grooves in the rotor often caused is the brake pad material is driven/worn down to the metal rivet securing the pad to the backing plate.

Honestly you have nothing to worry about, Those groove marks will be gone in a short time.

agmx

TDI
I agree with everything you said about how the pad is constructed. This vehicle is currently number 7 in my stable and I have never seen one behave like this (nor did my 06 Jetta). I just hit 500 miles and the front ones still look normal. I am putting splash guards (mud flaps) on this weekend so I will be putting the mic on the rotors just to check.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e

Front right.

Rear right.

Rear left

Front left

29,500 miles.