Rear rotor appears warped

Shizzell

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf 1.9L GL 2dr
Last weekend I took the rear of my car apart to replace the suspension. I lowered the axle and changed the bushings and struts. I noticed my rear drivers side wheel was turning awfully hard, so I took my caliper off to inspect.

The rotor would intercept the pads on a section while spinning it, binding the wheel. I ordered new rotors and pads, and first replaced the passenger side. No issues, and it spins freely. When I got to the one that was hard to spin, I found the lower caliper pin was frozen. I couldn't get it out of the caliper so I left it soaking in some PB blaster overnight.

What bothers me is I put a new rotor on, and spun it to find that it still does an in and out motion like the original. The side that spins freely does not appear to wobble when its spun. Now I haven't measured the width of the rotor but I think the possibility the new part is defective is low. Do I have a bent axle or something else?

Shizzell

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf 1.9L GL 2dr
Yeah the studs holding down the rotors don't really hold anything. I took the rotor off and put it back on firmly and tightened the stud down. It now looks like its turning correctly without wobble.

For future reference I found some interesting information. It could have been a bent stub axle, or a bent/worn hub.

Last edited:

FireStorm005

TDI
1999 Golf GLS TDI
You got it, rotor wobble could be either a warped rotor, hub, or something caught between the hub and rotor. Clean the hub off with a wire brush before putting the new rotor so it sits nice and flat. A bent stub axle would only make it sit crooked, not wobble.