Rear Plate Screws Impossible to Remove

Mass. Wine Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
5-speed, 2015 Golf S 6-speed manual; 2015 Golf Sportwagen SEL 6-speed manual
My ‘03 Jetta wagon failed inspection for several minor reasons. One was that the license plates no longer have their reflective coating. I need to turn the plates in for new ones, but both screws in the rear plate are stripped and rusted. Penetrant spray didn’t help, nor did several other go-to methods. Should I just try cutting the screw heads off with a Dremel? Then how do I attach the new plates?

Thank you.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
My ‘03 Jetta wagon failed inspection for several minor reasons. One was that the license plates no longer have their reflective coating. I need to turn the plates in for new ones, but both screws in the rear plate are stripped and rusted. Penetrant spray didn’t help, nor did several other go-to methods. Should I just try cutting the screw heads off with a Dremel? Then how do I attach the new plates?

Thank you.
Such a silly question........drill um out and replace them, that ain't rocket science.

Mass. Wine Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silly it may seem. But it’s rocket science to me. Let me know anytime that you’d like to write a 1,200 word news story in 45 minutes. Not rocket science, but I can do it. Can you?

Oh, and thanks!

Mass. Wine Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Tires I can do, though I can count the ones I’ve changed on one hand.

Last edited:

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
Tires I can do, though I can count the ones I’ve changed on one hand.
So you never had one that was rusted tight I assume? Don't get your suit dirty when drilling out your license plate bolt. ;) How many license plate bolts have you had to remove that you can count on one hand? BTW nice looking dog.

Last edited:

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
Grind the bolt head off with a small grinder. Then, grab a drill and 1/4" drill bit to drill out the rivnuts. Keep stepping up by 1/32" in size until the back of the rivnut falls inside the hatch. You will need a rivnut setting tool from Harbor Freight and (4) hexagon rivnuts with an M6x1 thread. Reinstall with new bolts and antiseize.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
If someone is asking a question and doesn't understand one or more parts of a suggested fix....I mean, at one point, each of us had to look up or ask what an IP was, or what a TTY bolt was, or whatever....have some patience and understanding.

Until you know what something like an insert is called...you don't know what that little thingy that the screw screws into is called.

(JDSwan87 - great answer! Thanks for providing that level of detail.)

Last edited:

Mass. Wine Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yes, indeed. Thank you so much for your help.

I am not at all skilled at carpentry, car repair or with most power tools. I tried attaching a bolt to the top of the screws with epoxy, but it didn’t hold. I took my car to a local mechanic who welded a nut on to remove the screws. I wish that I could have done it myself. Maybe next time.

Last edited:

goodmonkey

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI, 2011 Touareg TDI
I've rebuilt a transmission, disassembled and repaired VE injection pumps, did a Climatronic retrofit, a host of other things, never drilled out a screw successfully. I do have a grinder though...

Glad you found a resolution, even if that was taking it to someone else.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Glad you found a resolution, even if that was taking it to someone else.
I think based on his original post, that is probably for the best. Not everyone is able to wrench on cars, and if something as simple as a stuck screw prompts you to ask how to fix it, then maybe you shouldn't. I get people asking me all the time "So how hard is that? Can I do that?", and my standard answer is "If you have to ask, then yes it is hard, and no you can't." Keeps people from getting themselves in trouble.

NHVFR

TDI
2013 Jetta sport wagon. 2004 Passat Wagon
My father in law recently tried to save money by changing his own oil on his Tacoma. He drained the transmission, then over filled the engine with oil. Cost him $3500 for a reman transmission. All to save a $40 oil change.

It’s good to know your limits. I wish he had asked me first.

oilhammer

TDI
My father in law recently tried to save money by changing his own oil on his Tacoma. He drained the transmission, then over filled the engine with oil. Cost him $3500 for a reman transmission. All to save a $40 oil change.

It’s good to know your limits. I wish he had asked me first.
The guy I sold my last untooefed car to (a 2003 1.8t Passat) did that exact same thing. :rolleyes:

Mass. Wine Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
"If you have to ask, then yes it is hard, and no you can't."
No. You can’t use this as a general rule. I’ve repaired and repainted rust holes in my car, as well as other more minor things. Replacing the driver side headlight bulb is definitely hard, but doable.

The last fix to pass inspection is replacing the third brake light without breaking the plastic clips that hold the interior hatch cover on.

Mass. Wine Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Wow! I replaced the light assembly in 5 minutes without breaking anything. Time to celebrate (and contact NASA to work on the Mars mission).

oilhammer

TDI
Wow! I replaced the light assembly in 5 minutes without breaking anything. Time to celebrate (and contact NASA to work on the Mars mission).

And the irony here is the fact that you started this thread as well as the other thread in the first place. :p

But congrats on your accomplishment. And I mean that sincerely. I also am curious who has been caring for your car all these years? Certainly it has needed something more involved that a hi-mounted stop lamp replacement or a rusted license plate screw removed.

FWIW, we've been experiencing a LOT of license plate fastener fiascos here in Missouri, as the state is issuing new plates for the first time in a long time, and many of these cars have had the same plate securely in place for a decade or more. So I feel your pain there, I've drilled out and fixed more license plate fasteners in the last year than I have in the two decades prior it seems like. :eek:

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
Keith Harley of KMH Motors maintains all three of my TDIs. Super mechanic.

He's great. If I was closer then I'd bring our cars there for everything. But I have to take time off work and wait with the car so I only bring them down there for "TDI" specific stuff. Not general VW stuff like brakes.