Rear Passenger Leak; I've searched...

KrashDH

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf
Hey all,

So I've searched through the hundreds of threads related to this topic, I didn't see anything that reciprocated what's going on with mine.

First off, 02 Golf, and there is NO sunroof. So no drains that can get clogged from that.

Also, there is no water in and of the footwells. The carpet is slightly wet next to the rear passenger seat...that's right, up higher. It's basically "up" the wheel well a bit, not down in the foot trough. The door seal is in good shape and there are no signs of water rolling over any of the seals, plus the kick trim where the wires run under is dry on the top.

Is there a grommet or something under the body in that area that needs to be plugged? It seems like a really odd spot for the carpet to collect water since it's not at the lowest point where I'd expect it to collect. That, and it's just one spot.

Thanks in advance if anyone has ideas. I've tried the hose on the door trick, that doesn't show anything...somehow I think water might be getting kicked up, or if there is a drain from somewhere that terminates around there, I don't know?

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2007 Seat Alhambra 2L tdi
Check the boot for the wiring into the boot lid or trunk as you might call it, I had one that hadn't been put back properly and it leaked. Also worth checking it doesn't get wetter when using the rear washer, I'm sure the hose goes up that side.

KrashDH

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf
Check the boot for the wiring into the boot lid or trunk as you might call it, I had one that hadn't been put back properly and it leaked. Also worth checking it doesn't get wetter when using the rear washer, I'm sure the hose goes up that side.
I've got new boots for the hatch, I did a write up on here how to replace all that (and wiring), so those are fresh, if you're taking about that hatch wiring that causes the central electronics issue.

Hose for the washer runs on the driver side on my Golf, not passenger, so it isn't that.

Issue is literally right below the rear door latch on the passenger side. I'll try to post a photo

STDOUBT

Veteran Member
TDI
ALHx2
I recall a thread where someone was chasing a fuel leak near the rear passenger seat. Turned out there was a puddle of fuel on top of the fuel tank, which from there infiltrated to the cabin. So it's established that liquid can collect there.
Have you checked the seal made by the fuel fill "backdrop" piece? I wonder if water is flowing down the outside neck of the fill pipe, and collecting on top of the tank. Rear wheel well covers in good shape? If they are split/cracked, water could get into weird places. BTW - nice rains we're having!

KrashDH

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf
I recall a thread where someone was chasing a fuel leak near the rear passenger seat. Turned out there was a puddle of fuel on top of the fuel tank, which from there infiltrated to the cabin. So it's established that liquid can collect there.
Have you checked the seal made by the fuel fill "backdrop" piece? I wonder if water is flowing down the outside neck of the fill pipe, and collecting on top of the tank. Rear wheel well covers in good shape? If they are split/cracked, water could get into weird places. BTW - nice rains we're having!
Yeah it's been raining hard!!
No nothing is in bad shape. The car is actually a gem as far as frame/body (except the oxidized hood, my fault for taking a DA buffer and compound to it)

I'll check your suggestion though. It's just a really odd place for it to collect and it's not a big spot at all. I'll get under it once these storms pass, maybe this week.