Rear Passenger Door Lock not always working.

flash9

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon GLS 5-Speed, 2003, White
I did a search for "passenger lock" and "passenger door lock" and it did not reveal any help.

Occasionally (lately more often than not) when we unlock the car the rear passenger door on the drivers side will not unlock.
It does not matter if we use the key flop or the button on either of the front doors.
It will open if you pull the door handle from the inside.

I suspect this is most likely the latch/lock mechanism in this door, but was wondering if anyone else has had this problem, and if there is a known fix, and what parts are needed?

jjcsnlynn

Veteran Member
TDI
02 & 03 Jetta TDI,99 Beetle TDI, 04 Chevy Duramax 2500HD 4x4
I have the same problem in my daughters Passat. I believe it's in the door latch mechanism on the handle. Not the door lock/latch. I haven't played with it yet.

nokivasara

Veteran Member
TDI
Tiguan 4-motion, Golf mk7
I have the same problem in my daughters Passat. I believe it's in the door latch mechanism on the handle. Not the door lock/latch. I haven't played with it yet.
Do you mean that adjusting the wire to the handle can help with this issue?
We have this too but it's quite rare that the door doesn't unlock so I haven't done anything to it yet.

jjcsnlynn

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes, the wire that goes into the barrel. I had a window problem and no lock problem. When I put the window back in, I moved the wire that goes into the barrel and have had the problem ever since. I just haven't done anything about it because it opens from the inside.

Votblindub

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Jetta Wagon
My W8 does that on the driver side rear. In for more ideas on this subject.

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
I did a search for "passenger lock" and "passenger door lock" and it did not reveal any help.

Occasionally (lately more often than not) when we unlock the car the rear passenger door on the drivers side will not unlock.
It does not matter if we use the key flop or the button on either of the front doors.
It will open if you pull the door handle from the inside.

I suspect this is most likely the latch/lock mechanism in this door, but was wondering if anyone else has had this problem, and if there is a known fix, and what parts are needed?

Gordie,

If you need a new lock you can have one of mine. I replaced my door locks with my CCM many moons ago and still have the original locks. Changing the rears is a real PITA because of how the glass installs.

Check the wires from the car to the door via the rubber boot. Make sure they are in tact first.

Just let me know if you end up needing it.

Lito

flash9

Veteran Member
TDI
Gordie,

If you need a new lock you can have one of mine. I replaced my door locks with my CCM many moons ago and still have the original locks. Changing the rears is a real PITA because of how the glass installs.

Check the wires from the car to the door via the rubber boot. Make sure they are in tact first.

Just let me know if you end up needing it.

Lito
Lito,

That would be great - I sent you an IM. Please give me a call or send me a TXT.

Gordie

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gordon,

A buddy of mine has worn out his door handle and the plastic frame that holds the handle. It's so worn, that the door doesn't open very well once he locks it.

Is the back door used a lot? If you're going to take the lock out, you might consider replacing the handle "frame" if it looks loose and worn.

The plastic side opposite of the cable gets worn out. It's just plastic on plastic. Check to make sure it's still "tight"

Lito

Last edited:

jjcsnlynn

Veteran Member
TDI
My problem started when I reinstalled the barrel and cable at the right side of this picture. It's adjustable and I must have inserted it too far.

It has teeth and grabs however far you push it in. Had no problems when it was half way in, but I took up the slack and now I have a problem.

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
My problem started when I reinstalled the barrel and cable at the right side of this picture. It's adjustable and I must have inserted it too far.

It has teeth and grabs however far you push it in. Had no problems when it was half way in, but I took up the slack and now I have a problem.
I think the cable needs to allow the lock mechanism to go back fully. Maybe you can just move the plastic piece in towards the lock so that it's centered in the slot that it fits into

danny miller

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta 1.9 ALH
Many people report problems with the microswitches in these doors, they can falsely report the state of the door and lock and that can cause this problem. Also the solder on the PCB tends to crack and that'll screw it up too.

I had a 2002 Jetta where the driver's side didn't lock or unlock without the physical key turn. The microswitches weren't the problem though, the door lock motor itself turned out to be dead. Had a door lock module from a junkyard, swapped it, found the junkyard one DID have dead microswitches. Damnit. Put the junkyard motor on the original lock module to make it work.

flash9

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks to Lito, this weekend I replaced the drivers side rear door mechanism. What a pain! This requires the removal of nearly everything in the rear door. My door lock now locks and unlocks.

The only thing is a couple weeks ago the horn had stopped beeping when we locked the car, and I was thinking it was related to this door lock problem, but it still does not beep. :confused: I did check the horn and it works fine.

Last edited:

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Thanks to Leto, this weekend I replaced the drivers side rear door mechanism. What a pain! This requires the removal of nearly everything in the rear door. My door lock now locks and unlocks.

The only thing is a couple weeks ago the horn had stopped beeping when we locked the car, and I was thinking it was related to this door lock problem, but it still does not beep. :confused: I did check the horn and it works fine.
LOL, I told your Gordon, what a PITA. Glad you got the lock installed!

Lito