Rear hub re-use?

shoebear

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon, 2005 New Beetle, 2013 Sportwagen
I need to install rear alignment shims -- both sides. I've read that hub removal often requires a puller. What are my chances of being able to re-use the hubs? I'm concerned that the puller will destroy the bearings.

If I count on needing new bearings, I can pre-order them and have them on hand before I start; but if I don't need them, it's wasted money (and/or the hassle of return shipping).

If I count on re-using the hubs but then destroy one (or both), I'll need to rely on local auto parts stores and accept their brands and prices.

shoebear

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks, Seatman. I do have a set of metric offset wrenches, so I may be able to get the bolts without pulling the hub. But the article makes it sound like the bearing WILL be destroyed if I pull it.

maxmoo

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 golf, 2001 golf, 2000 beetle, 2003 wagon, 2004 golf, 2004 jetta, all diesels
The bearing will be destroyed when you pull the hub.
I have never been able to remove those 4 bolts without pulling the hub....they are usually quiet rusted....count on replacing them too, in most cases.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
There is a specialized wrench you can get that may allow you to r&r the hub with bearings intact. It is flatter than a regular wrench and will get in there to do the job on those 4 bolts, provided they aren't rusted so badly that acetone and ATF won't get them loose after you apply and wait for a couple of days.

I ordered mine from a FLAPS. The same ones that didn't have the proper shims.

You can get one on Amazon, where you will be able to find the proper shims.

Good luck,

PH

shoebear

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks, PH. I have a set of metric offset wrenches (if I can find them). Would that do the job, or do I really need the special wrench? I don't mind buying one if it will make the job easier -- I just don't want to buy something that works just the same as what I already have.

On edit: Are you talking about the SPC 87530?

Last edited:

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Yes, that is the one. The reason you need it is because a regular wrench can't fit between the tone ring and the mounting surface to get to the bolt heads. There just isn't that much room there. You can figure that if the bearing is good, then buying that wrench and using it once will pay for it. A new hub and bearing costs more than the wrench after all.

The bolts are guaranteed to be rusty, so using a good lubricant like PB blaster or a solution of 50% acetone and 50% ATF, applied multiple times over several days will pay off.

Cheers,

PH