Rear Hatch Won't Open with Door Switch

nforkvw

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 TDI Jetta 6 Speed Manual / Gray, 2009 VW Jetta TDI 6 speed manual / Red,
I have a 2005 VW Gofl TDI with 60K. Anybody have any idea what might be wrong? When I use the door switch, or even the key fob switch, I can hear the electric motor making the normal sound at the hatch, that I have heard all along previously, but the hatch won't open unless I use my ignition key? Thanks for any advice. Would this be covered under the extend VW warranty?

jbrone

Veteran Member
TDI
R.I.P.: '98 Jetta TDI
Not sure about the 2005 Golfs, but it may still be a fuse. I had a similar thing happen with my 1994 and it was the fuse. Also, does yours have the vacuum line lock system? A leak would allow the motor to run but not unlock totally. Check if some crud got into the latch, and that the latch is aligned. Make sure nothing is cracked inside the hatch, or that any linkage is not loose.

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
On my 2005 Golf, the rear hatch became water logged due to a leaky
grommet seal between the glass and wiper motor. The lock worked, but
the door-ajar light came on. What I did find was that the drainage holes
had plastic plugs installled which I removed to drain the water. I resealed
the grommet myself and dried the electrical connectors and applied some
dielectric grease. Check for water leaks.
JB

Niosotis

Veteran Member
TDI
:'( RIP:2002 Black 4dr Golf TDI
this recently happend on my 03. I took the cover off the hatch cleaned up around the latch + made sure everything was moving fine. Closed the hatch without the cover and wha la, it worked fine. Popped the cover back on and all is well with the world.

nforkvw

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 TDI Jetta 6 Speed Manual / Gray, 2009 VW Jetta TDI 6 speed manual / Red,
Rear Hatch Won't Open

Thanks for the suggestions and comments. I'll take a good look and clean everything out this weekend. Thanks !

new_vr

Veteran Member
On mine, the motor that opens the lock had become detached. Reattaching it was no problem.
What was a problem was removing the cover. This was because the door was stuck closed. I never used the key in the 5 years I owned it, and the key hole gotten filled with salt and crap from the road.
If your key opens the hatch, it's a pretty simple fix.

lvcreed

TDI
used to have 3 of them
I had an 06 Beetle that had to have the entire latch replaced twice at the dealer...still never worked right! Who knows?