Rear Door Latch Stuck, Won't Open!

Texas_sky

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 GOLF TDI 2dr 5spd
Was trying to change out a rear driver side door lock actuator 3B4839015AP on 06 jetta today. I put everything back and secured the cable and before I could get the door skin on I shut the door (after I installed the two 6mm screws on door jam) and it won't open up from the inside or outside. The lever that the outer door cable attaches to is stuck and won't move. I supposed I should have tested the part before I installed it. Any ideas what I can do to open up the door, do the mechanisms and latches have to be adjusted to a certain position before putting everything back together? :confused: Car still driveable just no left rear door skin or functioning door.

Last edited:

mextdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI 1.9, 2012 Passat TDI SE DSG, Previous 2014 Beetle TDi, 2012 Golf TDi DSG
Is there any way to loosen the latch at all from the inside of the car? That's what I would try, or see if you can manually pull the cable that is pulled when the door is opened? I know that when you lock your keys in the car the pros use a type of balloon thing that is pumped up between the door and the pillar. Maybe you can find one of them on amazon and try to open it just enough to manually manipulate the lock? It probably won't damage anything if you do it carefully...

Texas_sky

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 GOLF TDI 2dr 5spd
The metal L shaped narrow thin piece that the door handle cable connects to is completely stuck, won't move at all. I suppose I should have tested the part before installing but this is my first time changing a door latch. I would have just put the old one back on and called it a day. Anyone know what the next step is, door bolts seems to be blocked with no ability to open. Interior door panel would be hard to take off from inside without the ability to open door or is it possible?

Last edited:

sptsailing

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta Manual, stock with Panzer Plate & Franko6 modified EGR cooler & CAM
The metal L shaped narrow thin piece that the door handle cable connects to is completely stuck, won't move at all. I suppose I should have tested the part before installing but this is my first time changing a door latch. I would have just put the old one back on and called it a day. Anyone know what the next step is, door bolts seems to be blocked with no ability to open. Interior door panel would be hard to take off from inside without the ability to open door or is it possible?
That metal piece mechanically forces the latch open. It is not clear to me how it is possible to screw up a door latch so that that piece gets jammed.

If my situation was as you have described, I would go to a junkyard and get an identical door latch to take apart so as to figure out what to do to get it to move. I have a partially disassembled door latch here that I looked at, and the only way I can see it not releasing if is the door lock mechanism is locked. That thing is above, to the the left and behind the lever you need to move. It can be mechanically moved as well, which will enable to door latch to be opened.

Texas_sky

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 GOLF TDI 2dr 5spd
That metal piece mechanically forces the latch open. It is not clear to me how it is possible to screw up a door latch so that that piece gets jammed.

If my situation was as you have described, I would go to a junkyard and get an identical door latch to take apart so as to figure out what to do to get it to move. I have a partially disassembled door latch here that I looked at, and the only way I can see it not releasing if is the door lock mechanism is locked. That thing is above, to the the left and behind the lever you need to move. It can be mechanically moved as well, which will enable to door latch to be opened.

How can you mechanically move it? Only if I could get the 6mm triple square bolts out and all this would be resolved but not accessible with door not opening. Is there a possibility the cable that goes to interior door handle on the back side fell off? The latch (that is seized and on the car) I originally bought from LKQ off a 08 jetta that looked to be in good shape. I think worst case scenario it might have to be cut off with a reciprocating saw but that could damage other parts possibly.

sptsailing

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta Manual, stock with Panzer Plate & Franko6 modified EGR cooler & CAM
If the door skin is still off, you can unlock and open the door in some way for certain. Do you have anyone you know with the same model VW? Get them to let you take the door skin off and work with it to figure it out. It can definitely be done.

Texas_sky

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 GOLF TDI 2dr 5spd
If the door skin is still off, you can unlock and open the door in some way for certain. Do you have anyone you know with the same model VW? Get them to let you take the door skin off and work with it to figure it out. It can definitely be done.

Unfortunately there isn't a way to open it. Without access to the interior or side of door where the door lock actuator is, it will not open. The actuator is seized on the outer side that connects the door cable at this point I'll have to buy a new door latch https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009Z1O0XS/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A1KERYFVDOGIQG&psc=1 and saw off the old one or try to remove the complete door at the hinges. It's a complicated mess. Had one mechanic look at it today and they had no idea what to do. This is a unfortunate situation, guess it could be worse car is still driveable.

Had to completely destroy the bad lock actuator to get the door open but now it is not opening again after I got everything back together so I will adjust the lock actuator and the outside door cable in the handle as mentioned in these post.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=470312

https://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=362813

Last edited: