Rear, Control Arm bushing removal.

1998993C2S

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 Jetta Pkg2 DSG Navi
Re: MY2006 Jetta Pkg2 1.9TDI USA August '06 production.

The rear axle control arms (from center of vehicle out to hub) have replaceable bearings, but only those bearings at the hub career/outside position. The rear control arm bearing located at the vehicles center of chassis position has this bearing fixed (sold) with the control arm assembly; so show's ETKA. Any idea on how to go about removing the bearing at the outside/hub career position? I have the new bearing.
Is there a VW specific bearing tool puller. A stop at the local VW dealership turned up nothing. VW trained Tech I spoke with their was clueless as we discussed the printed exploded view ala the ETKA picture.
TIA

Last edited:

apples12

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk5 1.9tdi Match, BMW F10 520D
both the bearings can be pressed out using an ordinary hydraulic press

you can obtain both bearings from any good german auto factor/euro auto factors, take a look in the febi online parts catalogue and it gives a better representation than etka

1998993C2S

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 Jetta Pkg2 DSG Navi
Rear hub mounted control arm bearing/bushing R&R

The outside (at hub) bearing/bushing was purchase through a Febi/Bilstein source in Germany and my family mailed it here to Atlanta, Georgia. I did easily source a set of Audi RS3 front LCA bushings through a UK/Amazon source.

In order to use a "ordinary hydraulic press" though, this would require removing the "complete hub" from the vehicle.
One of two bearing's is set into the hub career and the other at the inside end of the control arm. The control arm mounted bearing is press fit on the inside end of the control arm; removing the control arm would be cake, however it is the outside hub mounted/located bearing which is kaput.

I'll try the ole rigging a threaded rod with two properly sized sockets, thereby pulling the bearing out of the hub fixture. It's the ole DIY trick. I think Klein Tools and others make a suitcase sized kit of bearing removal/retention scheme's. There great because the "work" is done on the vehicle. Oh well ...

both the bearings can be pressed out using an ordinary hydraulic press

you can obtain both bearings from any good german auto factor/euro auto factors, take a look in the febi online parts catalogue and it gives a better representation than etka

Last edited:

ATLSilverTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 Special Edition Jetta - Silver
If you are speaking of rubber bushings I have the replacement bushings if you want to purchase off of me. PM me if interested