Rear caliper parking brake arm- can it be removed?

Shenandoah

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon; 2005 Beetle; 2004 Jetta; 2002 Golf (three of them); 2002 Jetta Wagon; 2000 Audi TT->TDI; 1999 Beetle
Folks,

I'm replacing the parking brake cables on my 2000 Audi TT -> TDI as the old cables have swelled/rotted due to moisture. The parking brake cables have the old style barrel end. The new cables have the ball end. The rear calipers on the Audi are the same as a 2000 VW Jetta/Golf.

The parking brake arm on the rear calipers is different for the barrel end type cable vs the ball end cable. The arm for the barrel end has a narrower slot for the cable than the slot for the ball end cable.

I have a set of bad rear calipers from one of my parts cars that have the wider slot for the ball end cable. Is it possible to remove the arm from the shaft on the rear caliper? Or is it a pressed/one piece assembly? I've removed the 13mm nut on the end of the shaft that holds the arm, but I can't get the arm loose. Any suggestions?

I don't want to have to buy a set of new calipers just for the wider parking brake arm. Thanks.

Eric

Shenandoah

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon; 2005 Beetle; 2004 Jetta; 2002 Golf (three of them); 2002 Jetta Wagon; 2000 Audi TT->TDI; 1999 Beetle
Folks,

Just an update. I sprayed some PB blaster on the arms after removing the 13mm nut and let it soak over night. I hit the arms with a 2lb hammer and they loosened up and came off the shaft. The shaft has a knurled edge that matches the hole in parking brake arm (kind of like the steering wheel/steering column).

Eric

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
1:1 ATF and acetone for lub rust penetrate

you want to take the rust off? fill a PLASTIC spray bottle you dont mind throwing away with muratic acid (you can get this from lowes) and water mix, 50/50and spray the PART ONLY. before you do this make sure you have another bottle with baking soda and water mix 75/25 and another bucket full of it you can bump on everything you sprayed or it got onto, this stuff is nasty and burns BAD if you get it on your skin. This will EAT THE HELL out of the rust its put on let it do its thing for a few seconds and then neutralize it and repeat this process until you can get it off. If its rust holding it together, than this is the best and most dangerous, blood pressure increasing way to do it!

Shenandoah

Veteran Member
TDI
Mongler98,

Not sure I'm up for the challenge with muratic acid. I didn't know that it eats away rust. Thanks.

Eric

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
take minutes to eat rust, hours to eat metal. neutralize the acid soon as your done, no issue, spray some rustolium on the bare metal when your done. its only a last ditch effort. might be easier to put a small amount of heat on it and work it back and forth. it should come off easily