Rear bumper replacement

drucifer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta sw tdi pd
My wagon got kissed by an f250 with tow hooks. I can find bumpers of the right vintage but wrong color. Right color is 4plus hours away and really needs paint anyway. Should I have it painted then install or vice versa. Locally my choices are gold or white.The car is reflex silver.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
I’d have it painted and installed……especially since it’s on his insurance since it’s his fault.

drucifer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta sw tdi pd
We are way past that. I just want to get it over with or live with it. Car has total clear coat failure on the roof and top of the hatch plus sunburn on one fender. She's not a looker.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
I guess it’s what you want to live with.
I’d get the white one have it painted and installed………if you don’t care about color….slap the white one on and call it a day…..just my .02….
Currently I’m running a black golf with a silver hood and will probably end up with a silver hatch too….

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
He will have to sand / scuff it , wipe it down with a degreaser and then paint it.

kcunniff

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf GLS BEW (5spd)
I'd get the bumper that is in the best condition. Have a look at all of the inside mounting tabs and slides, are they all there and intact? As noted, the current color will not affect paintability.

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
There's a MkIV silver wagon at the LKQ in Edgewood (MD). Given the cost of a good paint job, I'd find a bumper cover that is already RS.

drucifer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta sw tdi pd
There's a MkIV silver wagon at the LKQ in Edgewood (MD). Given the cost of a good paint job, I'd find a bumper cover that is already RS.
I looked at the lkq website. No wagons and a couple rs sedans. Is it possible this was not so recent and the car is already gone to the crusher?

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
I saw it on Monday, but yes, that yard moves through vehicles pretty quickly. It was a later RS wagon ('04?) 2.0 with grey interior. I mostly stopped to look at it b/c it was one of those wagons that received GLI/GTI seats (3 section bottoms), and to see if the glove box was unbroken. Each LKQ yard seems to get a gasser wagon a month, the one in Mt Airy perhaps more often. I can keep an eye out for you, just finished finding some items for other members.

drucifer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta sw tdi pd
I'd been only looking at pick s part va,car-part, CL and the classifieds here but I will put LKQ on my radar. There is another member that I've been pm'ing that needs the same RS bumper. He is one county south of me.