Rear Axle Stub replacement

5spd_Jetta

TDI
98 Jetta, 2014 Passat
I am in the process of replacing the right side rear stub axle. I bought a new one and forgot about getting new bolts. I'm having trouble finding these bolts, can anyone suggest where they got them? IDPARTS.com doesn't have them, nor does AutohausAZ. I need to get them asap, so any help would be appreciated.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
What’s special about these bolts? I don’t think they’re stretch bolts, so they can be reused.

-Todd

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
you can reuse all the bolts and nuts you took off. Just put them to a wire brush or wire wheel to clean them up and put a dab of blue locktight on each of them on the threads. It helps to run a wire brush though the threaded parts if its really rusty or cruddy. If the bolts you took out are covered in rust on the threaded area it was seated, clean up both the threads and the bolts.
Even the axle nut on the rears is 100% reusable. please buy new cotter pins though, never reuse a cotter pin.
When you tighten up the axle nut, its finger tight then rest your hand and the weight of your arm from gravity only on the end of the wrench and spin the drum in reverse, lossen it up and repeat this step 2 times. put the castle nut on and the cotter pin in, your done.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
VW might say to replace them but they're not TTY so it matters little. If you're concerned just put a drop of low grade thread locker on there and you'll be fine.

Steve

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat B4V, ALH engine out of a 2002 Jetta, some IE Rods and ASV Pistons. Nothing drivable yet though
I just bought some for my suspension overhaul and the only place I could find them was Jim Ellis VW. Unfortunately I waited too long to get them, they went up in price between the time I originally found them and when I bought them.

5spd_Jetta

TDI
98 Jetta, 2014 Passat
Okay, thanks for the info. I figured they were stretch bolts, plus I'm not a big fan of reusing old bolts on important parts. If nobody knows where to get them, then I guess I will be forced to clean them up and reuse them. I'll make sure I don't over tighten the axle nut.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Okay, thanks for the info. I figured they were stretch bolts, plus I'm not a big fan of reusing old bolts on important parts. If nobody knows where to get them, then I guess I will be forced to clean them up and reuse them. I'll make sure I don't over tighten the axle nut.
no, there not, most car makers suggest you replace bolts that keep the car attached to the road but the reality is, its not s "stretch one time use bolt"
the main reason its suggested you replace them is that they come with thread locker already on them.
Just clean them up and put some blue thread locker on them and torque them down properly. Aside from internal bolts on the crank, some internal engine bolts and nuts, exhaust nuts and studs, head studs, flywheel bolts and or nuts, you can reuse anything you like, just not the ones i listed above.

5spd_Jetta

TDI
98 Jetta, 2014 Passat
Okay, new baby in the family has set me back a little in fixing my car. Tonight I tried to remove these bolts and I'm not sure what size Hex head they are. I have tried a 6mm and its small, 7/32 is too small, and a 1/4 is too big. I don't have a 6.5 or 7mm hex driver. Does anyone know if either of these are the right size, or 15/64? Also, what are those textile looking shims behind the drum? Will heating the bolts hurt these shims?

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I can guarantee they’re metric, unless someone forced SAE hardware in. From memory I thought the 4 bolts are 15mm hex heads.

The shims are probably for alignment.

Congratulations, on the additional family member!

-Todd

5spd_Jetta

TDI
98 Jetta, 2014 Passat
Hmm.....These are button head allen bolts. I guess tomorrow I will head to the store and have an excuse to buy new tools. I just hope that I can break them free.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Button head... rounded top? If so, I believe they will be graded 12.9. I think all button or socket cap screws/bolts (other than SS) are graded the same. If you can get them out cleanly, they could be reused.

If you go to a traditional hex head, be sure they’re graded at least 10.9.

-Todd

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Round top bolts? This is getting very goofy, makes me wonder if someone broke the original bolts and substituted something else? It just doesn't sound right.

Steve