Rear Axle Beam Bushing Tool

smos1

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 B4V w/AFN swap, 2011 JSW with a leaking pano
I know it's on here somewhere, a photo, actually a bunch of photos of the homemade tool to press in these stupid bushings.

It would be greatly appreciated if someone could send me that link?

And why do they have to make them uneven like that, seems like a flat headed bushing would work just as well?

Anyway, thanks in advance.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
The bushings I received for the B4 looked like those in your listed puller thread from the Vortex, except that there were two per side, so you would need two of those pitman pullers modified.

What a crappy job - I realize now that I had blocked out the memory... :D

smos1

Veteran Member
TDI
The pitman arm system doesn't seem as good as the system Abacus described. I tried to cobble something together from the big box store, and the 2" pipe cap that was described in Abacus's post was too small of a diameter, and that was as big a piece of metal they carried.
I'm trying something else, if it works I'll let you know.

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
Here is the tool we made. It looks like crap but works slick, very easy to use and it installs both sides at once without having to fully remove the axle beam from the car. It can also be used by just one person and it's friendly with an electric in pact hammer/gun so long you you use deep sockets. This has installed about 10 sets of bushings, two on my brothers B4 and the rest on mine. I tried four different bushing manufacturers but my B4 would tear them up in about a year. Ironically the $11 CRAP cheapest ones from NAPA are holding up the best and have been in about 4 years now with no issues. Go figure. I tried to find poly ones but no luck.

Last edited:

smos1

Veteran Member
TDI
is that a 2" cap? I had one but it looked to small to fit the bushings.

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
Yes, it's a 2" threaded cap. It is too small, hence the booger (my brother's) welds and then grinding them down. I've threatened to make one that looks better but this one works very well and fits exactly.

annieneff

Veteran Member
TDI
1983.5 Westfalia tdi (afn), with flipped 5 speed V6 (dvz) transmission
More importantly; what's your rental cost for those Mark? Boogers and all ;).