Rear Air Springs for MkV

A5INKY

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI, 2002 Eurovan Westphalia VR6
I have searched this and come up with all kinds of info for the MkIV and older but not much for the new cars.

My 2006 Jetta sits and rides great empty but the slightest load (passengers, cargo in trunk, etc.) really drops the rear ride height. Have seen solutions that include lift kits, stiffer (VR6) springs, Bilstein HD shocks and air bag assist springs for the older cars but not so much for the MkV.

I searched for an airbag kit from either Air Lift or Firestone and found nothing for the 2006. However, Firestone has a kit for 2007-2009 Jettas (part number 4175). I thought the basic chassis design is more or less unchanged from 2005.5 to current. Does anyone know of any difference between the 2007-2009 Jetta and my 2006? Shouldn't this kit fit my car? Better yet, has anyone installed this kit in a 2005.5 or 2006?

chops_555

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta TDI 6spd manual Build date: 09/08
Hmm... that would be an attractive option to think about if I ever were to tow anything...

A5INKY

TDI
Yep, emailed them at the end of the day Friday. Might hear from them tomorrow I guess.

Was hoping someone with experience working on the MkV car suspensions of different years would chime in and say the suspensions are identical - or say whatever is different.:confused:

Mach1

TDI
05.5 Jetta 5 spd, 06 Jetta DE DSG, 04 F250 6L, 2000 F250 7.3L
I am doing the airlift airbags, not to lift it, but I am going to travel in mine and it will be loaded, I desire to keep the rear at the right height, as not to effect the handling and to keep the headlights in the right place..

A5INKY

TDI
Mach1, Which Air Lift kit are you using? I found no kit specified for the 2006 on Air Lifts website. Have you installed it yet? Sounds like we are after the same effect, no lift just leveling when loaded and the corresponding handling improvement.

barshnik

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE w/roof, nav
I'm watching all the '09 suspension threads, as I wish to raise my '09 JSW an inch or so to provide extra clearance on gravel roads as well as provide more support for being heavily loaded or towing. Hope someone chimes in soon...

05_new_jetta

Veteran Member
TDI
MKV Jetta TDI
what about replacing the springs with airbags and installing a leveler? wouldn't that be cool, a lil expensive, but cool none-the-less.

A5INKY

TDI
Firestone has an air lift kit for both the '09 and the '09 JSW right now. Question is if the kit fits the "older" A5 chassis.

Self leveling would be cool and not too hard to accomplish. The air spring manufacturers have on-board compressor and control systems that do just that utilizing the air-bag-inside-the-coil-spring parts they sell. It is all there and available. More than I want to spend when a basic kit allows adjustment is as hard as adjusting the pressure a single tire. Would be cool though.

Turbine Suburban

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 6 manual Gone! V6 Mustang now.
With the rear power outlet, it would be easy enough to just have a $10 compressor from wally world to adjust it when it was needed. And that was not that often when I had them on a caprice. The airbags work *really* well.
Very easy to install, (use some vegetable oil spray, they fit tight) and always keep a little air in them when not needed to keep them from getting pinched by the spring.

A5INKY

TDI
In case anyone is interested, the answer is yes, Firestone's kit #4175 works fine in a 2006 MkV even though not specifically listed in their application chart.

Install was super easy. The bag length is such that it doesn't really lift the rear end much even at max pressure (35PSI). But now I can load the trunk down and level the car...no more ass dragging!

darrenf

Veteran Member
TDI
09 JSW TDI Black/Black, Pano, Avignons
A5INKY, great find! I have an 09 but I didn't know these were available. They are exactly what I've been looking for.

How are the filler tubes routed in the manual-fill setup? I tried to look at the installation manual on Firestone's website but I got a big 404 on that.

Thanks!

-darren

Mach1

TDI
05.5 Jetta 5 spd, 06 Jetta DE DSG, 04 F250 6L, 2000 F250 7.3L
I am using the airlift 80777 kit from Summit $80..3.5" X 7"..

A5INKY

TDI
The fill tubes come out the bottoms of the springs, there is already a hole there. I ran them through existing holes in the lower control arms, up the insides of the arms to a T-fitting (from hardware store) zip-tied to the upper cross member. From there a single line up under the inner right fender liner to one of the supplied schraeder valves (just like your tires) mounted in a hole I drilled right next to the 12V accessory outlet in the trunk.

The kit comes with two schraeder valves so that you can air up the bags independently. I was not interested in keeping them balanced, so I tee'd them together.

The hoses are perhaps a little vulnerable where they exit under the control arms, but I didn't care to try to figure out all the routing if they were to exit above. If I snag a line, I'll just replace it. Also, Firestone recommends trying to force the deflated bag through the installed spring, good luck on that. I just dropped the spring out altogether, much easier. Just make sure you replace the stretch bolt that has to be removed to drop the spring and retorque to the OEM spec with the car resting on the tires.

Wish I had done this long ago, car handles much better when loaded.

darrenf

Veteran Member
TDI
Ditto! Thanks for the post -- I wish I had know about this years ago. I carry several hundred pounds of tools and parts in the trunk all the time for work and this would have been a great addition to any of the last three cars that I've owned. I'm ordering my kit tonight!

-darren

darrenf

Veteran Member
TDI
Ordered (along with a remote control pump).

For anyone else considering this, note that the part number for the JSW is 4176 versus the sedan which uses model 4175.

-darren

05_new_jetta

Veteran Member
TDI
MKV Jetta TDI
I'd still like to delete the spring all together and just have the bag... might have to start another project...hmm:cool:

A5INKY

TDI
05_new_jetta said:
I'd still like to delete the spring all together and just have the bag... might have to start another project...hmm:cool:
Having seen some of your projects, looks like you might be one of those guys that could pull it off. If you do this please post with pictures!