Really using the TDI in anger

No More Buffalo

Veteran Member
TDI
Current: 2015 Golf SEL 6m Sold: 2012 Golf 2dr DSG
So I have a pair of road trips coming up in the next two weeks - chasing my favorite band (The Drive-By Truckers) as they do a series of shows in the SE. Going to also get the oppurtunity to really put the TDI through it's paces on some of the nation's best back roads.

First Trip:

Eastern NC to Asheville and back (Fri-Sun) - Sunday is a travel-only day, so I'm taking the scenic route back - probably drive the first 60 miles or so back from asheville on the Blue Ridge Parkway, as well as hitting some of the side roads that are even wilder (e.g. 226a).

Then, leave Wednesday for Athens, GA
Leave from Athens for Chattanooga on Saturday morning, via GA-11 to NC/TN-74. All 2 lane through the mountains and Chatahoochee National Forest.
Sunday return home, via Cherahola Skyway and Hwy 28 into North Carolina, with a two-way pass up and down the Tail of the Dragon in the middle. Continuing on the the BRP and then getting on 40 in Asheville and return home.

Route: http://goo.gl/maps/Z3In1

1,955 miles, of which at least 550 will be 2 lane mountain road.

Last edited:

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Sounds like a nice drive, but I must have missed something. Where does the "anger" come in. It sounds more like fun.

Have Fun!

Don

No More Buffalo

Veteran Member
TDI
Anger as in giving it a hard thrash up 10% grades for hundreds of miles on end - as opposed to the flatlands and boring straight roads everywhere within about 200 miles of where I live.

Cherahola Skyway: (Driving eastbound it climbs from 900ft to 5300ft in 26 miles, before dropping back down to 2200ft in the next 12.)

Tail of the Dragon: (318 curves in 11 miles)

Last edited:

No More Buffalo

Veteran Member
TDI
Yea, I hope not. Even if it is, I won't be crushed. This is more a side order of pleasure along with seeing my favorite band 5 times in 9 days. I really haven't haven't done much mountain driving, just a bit near Asheville in my previous car (much less sporty). So this is a bit of an appetizer - I know people travel just to drive this roads, and I see this as a grant chance to get to know them a bit - I'm certainly not planning on pushing things too hard.

BarnyardsTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf w/DSG, Malone Stage 2 (all emissions intact), HID's, Sunroof, Dynaudio, NAV
Do it! Get the turbo hot... My cars favorite drive so far has been Tehachapi Pass on a drive from Texas to California.

No More Buffalo

Veteran Member
TDI
So I plugged my trip into Garmin's route planning software (BaseCamp) last night.The final day's leg, from Chattanooga home to Greenville, NC involves almost 60,000ft of elevation change!

Fun times ahead...

No More Buffalo

Veteran Member
TDI
Eh, I'm sure I'll be getting passed by squids on Gixers all day anyway. Not planning on pushing it hard. The one downside is that large portions of these roads are in federal park lands, which means if you get a ticket, it's a FEDERAL ticket, and starts north of $500 and goes up for there.

No More Buffalo

Veteran Member
TDI
Well I made it back in one piece, car performed like a champ, and I'm not even stiff after 12 hours in the seat today.

Here are a few photo highlights from the trip:

TDI@ Chimney Rock, near Asheville

TDI on the Blue Ridge Parkway

Obligatory photo in front of the factory

TDI @ Tail of the Dragon

Almost...

Milestone!

No More Buffalo

Veteran Member
TDI
Oh, and PS, the last tank of the trip was 563 miles from a bit Etowah, TN to my hometown... 14.54 gallons. Not bad for a DSG car, given that about 180 of those miles were being thrashed hard in the mountains. The other tanks on the trip were better.

Fuelly totals for the trip (includes a couple of days around town in the middle)

2139 miles
56.57 gallons
37.8mpg

Ace Deprave

Veteran Member
TDI
Former owner of a 2012 Passat SE TDI (traded for a 2015 Golf R)
Hey, nice job on the trip and the taste in music! Just drove from Lake Charles, LA to Birmingham, AL to see ex DBT member Jason Isbell record a live album on 8/17!

Averaged 43.4 over 930 miles.

Last edited: