Really loose coolant temp sensor

mrsmart180

TDI
2000 Golf TDI ALH
I figured I would change my CTS after I did my timing belt change. I installed it but it wiggles a whole lot. I didn't realize this the other day and I was revving it high and saw tons of coolant pouring out of the cts. Why the heck is it so loose? I used one from idparts so I dont think its a junk one.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
lol
definitely missed installing the o'ring, i did that once! easy to do when the part your replacement for the first time was covered in greasy mess or was missing, in my case, it was really nasty and i pitsuprisinglyched it, also did it in the dark with a headlamp soooo.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
then its not the correct part or the threads are cracked or stripped
take it off and compare with old one
it should be a hand tight job that compresses the seal.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
The CTS on a 2000 ALH engine doesn't have threads........... It is secured in place by the use of a horseshoe style clip! Using a new O-ring requires a bit of pushing to properly install the Horseshoe Clip....... then, the CTS will not be loose!

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
The o-ring May have rolled. Purchase a tube of syl-glide, it’s water resistance and good to a few hundred degrees of temp. Makes coolant o-ring jobs much easier and more successful