Real World MPG - 6 speed Manual

Lincoln

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6 Speed MT
Just don't get radtech's hopes up too high. Not everyone can pull off 55+, even with nice long flat commutes. I suspect that has more to do with driving style than build variation, but could be wrong. I usually return ~50-55mpg on my commute (higher end in summer; lower end in winter; plenty of variation based on traffic), but there are many who report only getting upper 40s even with nice long commutes. Wouldn't want him to have unreasonable expectations.

Lincoln

Veteran Member
TDI
I'll note that I haven't had any corrective maintenance issues either. But I think that's another thing that varies. Most have no problems, but some have premature failures. True for any brand, though perhaps marginally worse for VW than for Honda or Toyota. I figure it's luck of the draw and driving habits either way. I just picked up a used Honda Civic that had the transmission replaced, had a leaking EGR valve, has a power steering pump that is getting ready to fail, and has a non-functional AC compressor. All at 160k miles. (I got a good price and don't need it for reliability since it's mainly for my teenager to drive.) We'd all be flipping out if we had the same problems in our VWs, but need to remember that even the most reliable brands aren't immune to these things.

I don't worry too much about the scheduled maintenance costing a bit more either, since that cost is spread over many miles and is relatively minor compared to the purchase price and corrective maintenance.

My point is that most of us get truly awesome mileage and don't have any problems, but there are no guarantees. That goes for any brand though--if you look at forums for competitor vehicles, you'll find people there complaining about maintenance costs too, and I'd guess some are getting 55mpg from their hybrid Civics.

Lincoln

Veteran Member
TDI
Oh, and so as not to be misleading, my lifetime mileage is only 47 mpg, since errands and other short trips get me MUCH lower numbers than my daily commute, which is 40 miles each way and 75% highway.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
Just don't get radtech's hopes up too high. Not everyone can pull off 55+, even with nice long flat commutes. I suspect that has more to do with driving style than build variation, but could be wrong. I usually return ~50-55mpg on my commute (higher end in summer; lower end in winter; plenty of variation based on traffic), but there are many who report only getting upper 40s even with nice long commutes. Wouldn't want him to have unreasonable expectations.
Is this me getting someone's hopes up? "From the sounds of your commute the Passat TDI would be a great choice."

Lincoln

Veteran Member
TDI
I think it sounds like a good choice too--I just wouldn't want him to expect 55+ and be disappointed if he's closer to upper 40s. You're clearly above average, and your numbers are not typical, as they say in the legalese at the end of commercials. :)

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
I think it sounds like a good choice too--I just wouldn't want him to expect 55+ and be disappointed if he's closer to upper 40s. You're clearly above average, and your numbers are not typical, as they say in the legalese at the end of commercials. :)
My results are above average, yes. But it sounds like his driving style is very similar to mine. How is it that my car has NEVER gotten below the EPA highway rating for an entire tank, I don't know. But I don't do anything special. The biggest detriment to my mileage has been speed and cold temps. He states that he always drives 65 MPH, over 65 MPH is where my MPG starts to decrease, so I would believe that his flat, 65 MPH commute could result in 50+ MPH tanks (especially in the summer time), and as he noted, he would be in a comfortable, midsize car.

radtech83

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE 6MT White
My results are above average, yes. But it sounds like his driving style is very similar to mine. How is it that my car has NEVER gotten below the EPA highway rating for an entire tank, I don't know. But I don't do anything special. The biggest detriment to my mileage has been speed and cold temps. He states that he always drives 65 MPH, over 65 MPH is where my MPG starts to decrease, so I would believe that his flat, 65 MPH commute could result in 50+ MPH tanks (especially in the summer time), and as he noted, he would be in a comfortable, midsize car.
Lincoln & psd1,

Thank you for commenting on my question. Yes I have read most of psd1's post in this thread and I believe we have very similar driving styles. Slow take off, look ahead for traffic flow and stops to coast when possible. And long flat highway commutes. I would be thrilled to ride in a comfortable car like the passat and get 45+ mpg. I think with my driving techniques that 50 mpg is possible.

My main two concerns is really the maintenance cost and repair compared to say a Honda or Toyota. A

And the future cost of diesel fuel. We all know diesel is cheaper to produce then gas yet diesel has been $0.50-$0.75 more then gas for the last couple years. Where is this price going too. I don't want to get into a diesel and in 2 year be paying $1.00+ more per gallon then gas!

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
Lincoln & psd1,
Thank you for commenting on my question. Yes I have read most of psd1's post in this thread and I believe we have very similar driving styles. Slow take off, look ahead for traffic flow and stops to coast when possible. And long flat highway commutes. I would be thrilled to ride in a comfortable car like the passat and get 45+ mpg. I think with my driving techniques that 50 mpg is possible.
My main two concerns is really the maintenance cost and repair compared to say a Honda or Toyota. A
And the future cost of diesel fuel. We all know diesel is cheaper to produce then gas yet diesel has been $0.50-$0.75 more then gas for the last couple years. Where is this price going too. I don't want to get into a diesel and in 2 year be paying $1.00+ more per gallon then gas!
Don't forget the torque factor. Do you have much time in diesel vehicles, they are a totally different beast to drive compared to a similar gas powered vehicle.

radtech83

TDI
Don't forget the torque factor. Do you have much time in diesel vehicles, they are a totally different beast to drive compared to a similar gas powered vehicle.
psd1 I owned a Ford 7.3L Excursion for 11+ years but I have never owned a diesel car. If like a truck the car would have plenty of torque. Which would make faster take offs possible.

Please explain what your hinting at. Thank you!

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
psd1 I owned a Ford 7.3L Excursion for 11+ years but I have never owned a diesel car. If like a truck the car would have plenty of torque. Which would make faster take offs possible.

Please explain what your hinting at. Thank you!
The best way is to go to a dealership and drive a gas Passat and then jump in a TDI. The low end tq makes the TDI such a fun car to drive especially in twisty/hilly low speed areas.

radtech83

TDI
The best way is to go to a dealership and drive a gas Passat and then jump in a TDI. The low end tq makes the TDI such a fun car to drive especially in twisty/hilly low speed areas.
psd1 - I plan on it. I was concerned that you were implying that the torque factor was a negative. I'm really down to looking at a new Passat TDI or save the money and get a Honda Civic MT gasser. But I have tired of spending so many hours of my day driving in a noise small car like the Honda Civic Hybrid. What I did like about the Excursion was the luxury of the ride.

So I think the TDI can give me the luxury of the Excursion and the MPG's of the hybrid.

psd1 - are you still posting to your fuelly.com? after 37 fillups your at 50.7 mpg or have you stopped posting?

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
psd1 - I plan on it. I was concerned that you were implying that the torque factor was a negative. I'm really down to looking at a new Passat TDI or save the money and get a Honda Civic MT gasser. But I have tired of spending so many hours of my day driving in a noise small car like the Honda Civic Hybrid. What I did like about the Excursion was the luxury of the ride.

So I think the TDI can give me the luxury of the Excursion and the MPG's of the hybrid.

psd1 - are you still posting to your fuelly.com? after 37 fillups your at 50.7 mpg or have you stopped posting?
It should be showing 57 fuel ups. Yes, I do post every fill. I'm so anal I even topped off the dealer fill the day I bought it so I knew that I was starting with a full tank. :p

My daily commute is 43 miles round trip, starting at 1700 Ft ASL ending at 200 Ft ASL, this includes about 3K ft of total elevation change each way. Very good conditions coming to work, very tough heading home, including a 6% 2 mile grade two miles form the office. Typically my MFI is 60-75 MPG on the way to work and 36-42 MPG on the way home.

Lincoln

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI is definitely more fun than a comparable gasser. I also don't worry too much about higher cost of diesel (on average--it's frequently lower than RUG in summer). Let's say it's 10% higher on average, which seems pretty close to me (I've seen it $1 more, but I avoid those stations since there are plenty with it only ~$.30 more). That might add up to a few bucks per fill up, but those fill ups come only ~half as frequently. Still a pretty huge savings on fuel.

As discussed before, maintenance cost differences aren't big enough to sway me away from a VW, particularly after test driving my TDI compared to Hondas and Toyotas, but everyone has their own tipping point on cost.

jagdpanzer

TDI
2013 Passat SE 6M
2013 Passat TDI SE 6M 47.3 mpg

Hi,

I've been lurking here for a while. Love my Passat! Bought it new in spring of 2013, have averaged 47.3 mpg for the life of the car, over 28K miles. Mostly highway/commuting on I95.

My miles also include some running around town/ errands etc. I would say 10% of the miles. Best tank I've ever had was 50.5 mpg, worst in low 40s.

I've read thru this thread and from my experience would conclude that the epa figures for highway mpg is at least 10% low.

John

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
March has been a great month for MPG.

3/1/15 843 miles/15.3 gal = 55.1 MPG

3/19/15 944 miles/17.6 gal = 53.7 MPG

3/29/15 957 miles/17.3 gal = 55.3 MPG

2744 miles total this month with 50.2 gallons of fuel = 54.6 MPG

Winterized fuel and warmer temps, winter front on. My stock Continental's are nearing the end of their life.

radtech83

TDI
March has been a great month for MPG.
3/1/15 843 miles/15.3 gal = 55.1 MPG
3/19/15 944 miles/17.6 gal = 53.7 MPG
3/29/15 957 miles/17.3 gal = 55.3 MPG
2744 miles total this month with 50.2 gallons of fuel = 54.6 MPG
Winterized fuel and warmer temps, winter front on. My stock Continental's are nearing the end of their life.

Great numbers! I'm looking for a gently used 2013 so I can enjoy the same.

jeff63

TDI
2010 Golf 2015 Passat
I did a comparison of the two tdis, the new 2015 Passat (purchased last Halloween)and 2010 Golf. Did the exact same 110 mile route, same weather and temperature conditions and same driving habits. The Golf got 47.5mpg and the Passat 51.0 and this was in January, temps about 30F. I have already seen 54mpg with the Passat on the highway travelling from Cedarburg WI to Rochester MN. I expect those numbers to go up this summer, since the Golf often gets 50-55mpg on the highway. I drive between the speed limit and up to 5mph over.

The Passat motor is waking up and showing more power now that it has 7500 miles on it. The wife who normally drives the Golf noticed the increase in power when she recently drove it to a friends house.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
I did a comparison of the two tdis, the new 2015 Passat (purchased last Halloween)and 2010 Golf. Did the exact same 110 mile route, same weather and temperature conditions and same driving habits. The Golf got 47.5mpg and the Passat 51.0 and this was in January, temps about 30F. I have already seen 54mpg with the Passat on the highway travelling from Cedarburg WI to Rochester MN. I expect those numbers to go up this summer, since the Golf often gets 50-55mpg on the highway. I drive between the speed limit and up to 5mph over.

The Passat motor is waking up and showing more power now that it has 7500 miles on it. The wife who normally drives the Golf noticed the increase in power when she recently drove it to a friends house.

Would you consider creating a Fuelly acct so others could watch your MPG on the 2015? 54 MPG is good.

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
The mobile web page works quite well for entering your fillup. Just can't see the overall car details. It just takes you to the fuel entry page when you click the car. I've used it since I bought the Passat, from day 1.

IXLR8

Veteran Member
TDI
12 Passat Platinum Gray, 02 Golf Black, 01 Jetta Black
I have 68000 miles on my '12 6M Passat TDI, I have managed to get 5-6 1000 mile tanks during that time.

radtech83

TDI
Well psd1 reading all your posts and others in this thread pushed me over the edge. Well really the reason was my hybrid battery light was coming on and off and the car wasn't worth that the battery was going to cost. So after 4 years of following this thread and others I finally got one!

2015 TDI SE 6MT white with 28 miles on it. I have all ready put 130 miles on it and the computer says the tank average mpg is at 51.6 !!! It was good to cut my teeth with the hybrid and learning the techniques to strong mpg's

Last edited:

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
Well psd1 reading all your posts and others in this thread pushed me over the edge. Well really the reason was my hybrid battery light was coming on and off and the car wasn't worth that the battery was going to cost. So after 4 years of following this thread and others I finally got one!

2015 TDI SE 6MT white with 28 miles on it. I have all ready put 130 miles on it and the computer says the tank average mpg is at 51.6 !!! It was good to cut my teeth with the hybrid and learning the techniques to strong mpg's
Awesome! I hope you have great luck and enjoy the car.

IXLR8

Veteran Member
TDI
12 Passat Platinum Gray, 02 Golf Black, 01 Jetta Black
Hmmm... Summer tires back on the car, spring temps in the air, can't wait for summer fuel to be available. This poor pic was taken at the end of a 200 mile trip, MFA range- 30 miles.
[/url][/IMG]

nord

Veteran Member
TDI
All turned back to VW. Now a 2017 Hundai Tuscon. Not a single squalk in 10k miles.
My '14 NMS MT... 362 miles to RI and return on April 10. Snow tires on all four corners and about 20 miles on a full tank before I left. Cold, windy, and winter conditions with snow and ice over the Berkshires. This trip to pick up a '10 JSW MT for my son. We didn't push the speed limits by much but we were never in the slow lane either.

My Passat returned 49.7 mpg overall. It indicated another 200 miles to empty so that 1,000 mile tank was well within grasp.

The JSW returned about 43 mpg for the return trip. My guess is that the dealer might not have exactly topped the tank before we departed and the car likely did a bit better than the numbers indicate.

My son commented that the Passat will out-scoot him. This I can't confirm. All I can truthfully share is that the Passat is one fine car. It's comfortable, it loves to stretch its legs, it handles well, and its range borders on unbelievable.