Real World MPG - 6 speed Manual

IXLR8

Veteran Member
TDI
12 Passat Platinum Gray, 02 Golf Black, 01 Jetta Black
My last 2 tanks were 1040 mile tanks, looks like I will only get about 980 miles on the present tank. 90% of my driving is on the highway in the right lane with cruise set to 63.

Thunderstruck

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GTI SE 6M
I run 42 PSI in mine. Doesn't ride harsher, and decreases rolling resistance. I live and work at the edge of the city so have a lot of opportunities for long glides in neutral. I can usually get at least 40 on the way home on surface streets. I'd say run the tire pressure up and see if that helps.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
How many miles do you guys have on your cars? I am flirting with 5k miles and I ask because I have seen a 2011 6.7 Powerstroke go from 16mpg new to 22mpg with 50k miles on it. First tank was the best tank at 43mpg. Averaging around 38mpg. Havent gotten over 715 miles off a tank since the first one. Granted this isnt all highway driving, but I do not have traffic where I live. I drive like a lil old lady trying to milk it. I am trying to avoid modding this car even though throttle response and exceleration suck. 2013 Passat 6MT TDI is the car.

Learning about TDI's.
My first thought is that your tire pressure is low, my guess is that it's around 32 PSI. Up that to 36-38 for starters and monitor a tank. Do you idle the car much? Others may say drive it hard, and that may work for some, but I like to get the car into the highest gear it will pull and let it eat. I dont use alot of A/C, but the few times that I have, I notice a decrease in my inst MPG display.

If 43 MPG is your best tank I would certainly look for other issues as well, 43 is my worst tank and that was the first one back in January.

Start a Fuelly acct and document the things you try so everyone can see what you are doing. Oh, and stay tuned here, there are alot of great people on this site that are very knowledgable and love to help...others, not so much! :)

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
Created a fuelly account to track the Passat. MFD shows slightly over 50 average, actual calculations come out 2-3MPG lower. 48 on the last tank @ 835 miles.
Dealer filled tank at new = 44MPG, but I don't think they filled it all the way. Every tank since has been 47+. 55 miles commute, one way. Didn't make much difference if I did 60 or 75mph. Tires at 43psi or so, mixture of bumper to bumper traffic and wide open high speed highway. Mixture of AC and windows open (been in the 80s). Not many times for no AC/windows closed.
My biggest problem has been behaving long enough to get a good tank, especially with the Jetta - way too fun. The passat is a little easier to be good in.

wild_phil

TDI
None yet
Thanks for the info guys. I will get that TP adjusted tomorrow. I have a fuely account. Started one right before I bought my car. Thanks for the guidance. I am lost when it comes to driving for mileage. I think another issue is I let the car creep at 1100 to 1300 rpms sometimes. Other then tire pressure, this may be user error. I will do some more research on best driving habits for mileage and adjust how I drive.

Learning about TDI's.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for the info guys. I will get that TP adjusted tomorrow. I have a fuely account. Started one right before I bought my car. Thanks for the guidance. I am lost when it comes to driving for mileage. I think another issue is I let the car creep at 1100 to 1300 rpms sometimes. Other then tire pressure, this may be user error. I will do some more research on best driving habits for mileage and adjust how I drive.

Learning about TDI's.
You'll get the hang of it.:D Add the link to your fully acct so everyone can see it.

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 B5.5 TDI/geared BSM, BV43A turbo,stage 2 TDTUNING. 2005 5sp manual passat tdi stage 2 tdtuning,BSM delete. 2015 Passat TDI 6sp manual.
I just did my first MPG check at 2000 miles. I got 42.4 MPG running 70-80 in the mountains of WV and PA on I-79 with AC on. Nice, huh? Should get better and better with more break-in. I'd bet a Prius keeping up with me (which it probably couldn't)would do well to get 40.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
I just did my first MPG check at 2000 miles. I got 42.4 MPG running 70-80 in the mountains of WV and PA on I-79 with AC on. Nice, huh? Should get better and better with more break-in. I'd bet a Prius keeping up with me (which it probably couldn't)would do well to get 40.
Real nice, how come you waited for 2000 miles before you started checking MPG?

I agree that a Prius wouldn't return great MPG numbers either, and even though the Passat isn't a handling star, it's a lot more fun a Prius in the twisty stuff!

Moynihan007

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
First Fill Up

44mpg for first fill up. 50/50 city/hwy. hwy speed around 70mph give or take. Used AC and wasn't afraid to have some fun now and then. Good baseline to work from on the quest for the 50mpg club

jaydhall

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SE, 1999 NB, 1999.5 Jetta GLS, 2004 Jetta
Averaged 49.4 from Denver to key west FL and back. Averaged 50.7 from Denver to Phoenix and back. Driving at posted speed limits on both trips. Have 29K on the car now.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
Last two tanks, 1325 miles/24.2 gallons=54.75 MPG. Lifetime average at 50.3 MPG over 14K miles.

goldgary

TDI
2012 Passat 6M
50+ all the time

I have 2012 SE Manual. with 38k on the clock. I pumped up my tire pressure to 44 psi. since new, I have Conti's. On my trips to Maine, approx. 200 miles. doing 70-72 a/c on, I can avg. 55+ mpg. Even back and forth to work, I avg. 53 Mpg. Winter time, this drops by 3 mpg. When car was new, I ran tire pressure at recommended 34 psi. and I was getting in the 48 mpg range.

Before all the nay sayers saying how this shouldn't be done. I have for years pumped tires up to point of them getting "squirlly handeling" on the road. Never go past that mark, you know when you have to much air. I happen to like how the Passat handles with higher pressure. Feels more BMW-ish. More secure in corners. Doesn't hurt ride that much due to suspension is already set for a soft ride.

Just for the fun of it one time on my trip to Maine, I kept speed at 63-65 whole way, and I got an astounding 58+ mpg.

These numbers are all off MFD, but I did check early on with paper and pencil, and found MFD to be within .2 of mileage. Close enough for me.

So if you want to boost you mileage, try upping your tire pressure to where you feel comfortable. This works for me, but may not for everyone. Won't cost you a cent. Can always bring it back down if not right for you. Rolling resistance is killer to mileage. Oh!, and just running around town, stop and go, my mileage is 48 mpg.

Gary

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
I have 2012 SE Manual. with 38k on the clock. I pumped up my tire pressure to 44 psi. since new, I have Conti's. On my trips to Maine, approx. 200 miles. doing 70-72 a/c on, I can avg. 55+ mpg. Even back and forth to work, I avg. 53 Mpg. Winter time, this drops by 3 mpg. When car was new, I ran tire pressure at recommended 34 psi. and I was getting in the 48 mpg range.

Before all the nay sayers saying how this shouldn't be done. I have for years pumped tires up to point of them getting "squirlly handeling" on the road. Never go past that mark, you know when you have to much air. I happen to like how the Passat handles with higher pressure. Feels more BMW-ish. More secure in corners. Doesn't hurt ride that much due to suspension is already set for a soft ride.

Just for the fun of it one time on my trip to Maine, I kept speed at 63-65 whole way, and I got an astounding 58+ mpg.

These numbers are all off MFD, but I did check early on with paper and pencil, and found MFD to be within .2 of mileage. Close enough for me.

So if you want to boost you mileage, try upping your tire pressure to where you feel comfortable. This works for me, but may not for everyone. Won't cost you a cent. Can always bring it back down if not right for you. Rolling resistance is killer to mileage. Oh!, and just running around town, stop and go, my mileage is 48 mpg.

Gary
I agree on tire pressure, I went from 36 to 40 this last tank. I only have 14K, but am averaging 50.3 pen to paper. My MFI reads a couple 10ths low to about 53 MPG and then reads high after 54 MPG.

How are your tires holding up? I have the Contis's as well and they are in great shape.

IXLR8

Veteran Member
TDI
I was running 44 psi on my Michelin's, but after 20K miles on them I was starting to see slightly more wear in the middle of the tire and I have backed the pressure off to 40psi. With the cost of the tires, it doesn't seem to make much sense to me to decrease the tire life for a slight improvement in mpg's.

goldgary

TDI
2012 Passat 6M
tire pressure

That's odd on the Michelin's wearing in the center. I used MXV4's on my 09 TDI Jetta, and they were doing fine. I "assume" that these are the tires you are using. My current Conti's are wearing well with higher pressure and show no signs of uneven wearing after 38k. Each tire, IMHO have different thresholds for uneven wear vs. pressure. The current Conti's are loud now, and I have maybe 5-8k left on them. not quite to wear bar yet. I plan to change to Michelin MXV4's again.

IXLR8

Veteran Member
TDI
That's odd on the Michelin's wearing in the center. I used MXV4's on my 09 TDI Jetta, and they were doing fine. I "assume" that these are the tires you are using. My current Conti's are wearing well with higher pressure and show no signs of uneven wearing after 38k. Each tire, IMHO have different thresholds for uneven wear vs. pressure. The current Conti's are loud now, and I have maybe 5-8k left on them. not quite to wear bar yet. I plan to change to Michelin MXV4's again.
I have the MXM4's. On my 02 Golf I had no issue running pressures at 44 psi and the tires wore evenly. I believe the issue is the width of the tire, my Golf tire is 195 and the Passat is 215. When I ran 205's on my Golf, I couldn't run the pressures at 44 psi with out wearing the tires in the center either. Hmmmm, I ran 2 sets of Conti's on my Golf and I got over 70K miles each time. I am on my 3rd set of Conti's and I have about 50K miles on this set and they still look good.

eatpasta

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
on our annual trip to Monterey, we took four adults this time with 5 adults' luggage in the trunk. I couldn't have closed the lid with 3 more sheets of paper in there.....
All the way up there, three days of city driving with 5 adults in the car, then the drive all the way back AND the AC on the entire time..... it was about 700 miles and at the end of everything still got 43 mpg.

not bad.

gergg

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI 6M
I kept speed at 63-65 whole way, and I got an astounding 58+ mpg.
Experienced similar results with mine at these speeds, pretty amazing for a big car.

mountain-valleymotors

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2013 Passat TDI
Just over 7,000 miles on my 2013 SE 6 MT now. We took a 750 mile trip this past weekend to North Carolina and back with a number of stops and some city driving. Averaged 49.5 MPG for the whole tank full. MFI said 50.8 (It usually reads 1-2 MPG high).

DmaxSmoke

TDI
2014 Passat TDI SE 6MT
Just filled my 2014 6 MT for the first time yesterday. 651 miles of mixed driving (Biased towards highway a bit) without a light foot. Hand calculated mileage of 43.29 for the first tank. Car has 770 miles on it (119 from the dealer transfer). I am pretty satisfied.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
Last fill 911 miles and 17.1 gallons of D2. 53.3 MPG. Lifetime average at 50.7 MPG.

ZootsAlures

Veteran Member
TDI
2012Passat SE TDI
I've been achieving between 45-47MPG over the last four fuel-ups. Yes, my right foot had a cement boot! My Conti's are running at factory spec'd 32psi and I think it's time to boost the psi. Just fueled up this morning and will up the tire pressure to 36- to see if I can achieve a net gain.

"Minds are like parachutes. They don't work unless you open them". Frank Zappa

Jbdesigns

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6MT, 2012 Jetta TDI 6mt (sold)
Cold weather is coming back here in the east. That and winter fuel blend. Was getting 48 mpg tanks, now I think it'll be 45ish. Not in any way terrible but I get miffed when the mpgs drop

acmercg

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SE 6MT
Picked up my 2014 SE 6 spd yesterday, 200 mile trip home, 46 mpg indicated. Happy already.