Real World MPG - 6 speed Manual

wolfsburg_de

Ross-Tech AssociateVendor , w/Business number
TDI
2012 Passat TDI 6MT
Incredible!
Did you notice the part about regen? He posted that the DPF light came on to indicate it was performing a regen. That actually indicates a problem with the system. It would have been interesting to see what faults are present.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
That is interesting. I missed that part of the article.

I wonder if he was shutting the engine off downhills or something that made it unhappy.

Knarrly Viking

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE 6MT, 2 of them!
Recent trip to Amish country from the DC area I was averaging 53mpg by MFI doing around 65mph. That's with about 50 miles of my wife driving the car around town before making said trip.

Overall, I'd say I would be able to average close to 48 mpg, if it were just me driving the car to work and back (about 50/50 city/highway) 16 mile one way. As it is, my wife drives the car more than I do, so the average stays closer to 43 mpg for the tank.

Starting to notice the cold weather taking a toll on mpg. Takes much longer for the engine to warm up when it's in the mid 50F's.

Softrockrenegade

Veteran Member
TDI
None...2011 Golf DSG (replaced by VW W/) 2013 Passat SE 6M(bought back) Current 2017 sportwagen TSI 4Motion.
140 miles a day . Only 400 miles on my car and my mfd read 56 mpg on my 75 mile ride home ! This car is killing my golf soo far ( according to the mfd ) but fuelly will tell the truth when I finally have to fill up :D

Jbdesigns

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6MT, 2012 Jetta TDI 6mt (sold)
good results so far soft rock. I too just purchased tdi passat but first tank with wife mostly driving was "only" 45 mpg. I expect better as I break it in and do more driving. however, with cold weather coming in now, I will not get my best mpg's. I do like the car better than the Jetta I had and I liked that car alot.
JB

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Plenty of good tips posted in the break-in threads. Don't sit at a constant speed for a long time, don't be afraid to use the go pedal, engine speeds over 4000 RPMs are useless.

passsattdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL Premium TDI
My friend's TDI SE DSG has hit a 52 mpg average twice now on trips that include stops and city driving.
My last 10 tanks are at 50.1 mpg US. Mileage since new is 48.9 and this is hand calculated, and on Fuelly. This is a DSG.:D This is with 11K+ miles on the clock. When it gets broke in I expect several more MPG. That is if this one acts similarly to my 05 B5.5 Passat.

Last edited:

Tdi Noobie

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE, 6MT
Trip from Michigan to Washington DC last weekend, 575 miles, 11.1 gallons, 51.8mpg. MFI showed 54.3.

I have not filled up since the return but it was raining and crazy windy from Sandy, MFI indicated 45, so going to by 5% it seems to be off, gonna say 42.25. Still good considering the conditions.

On the trip out I was driving about 72 when I could. Sat in some construction for about 15-20 minutes and drove around town for a half hour when I got there.

Pretty pleased with the MPG's

smoav8r

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta Man (sold), 2013 Passat TDI 6M
First tank on my '13 6M. 801 miles on 15.8 gal. 51 MPG!!!! Wonder what will happen once it's "broken in?"

jaredaggie

TDI
2000 ALH, Black, 5M; 2013 Passat TDI 2.0 6MT
Amazing Highway MPG

Recent road trip to Tuscaloosa to watch my Aggies play the stories Tide. Averaged 54mpg hand calculated from Houston to Tuscaloosa and back. Followed speed limits that ranged from 65-75. Left my house with less than 2,000 miles on her now near 4,000. Absolutely unbelievable car. As a side note I want to thank the fine people of Alabama Tide. Their hospitality and kindness is what the SEC seems to be all about.

gergg

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI 6M
Recent road trip to Tuscaloosa to watch my Aggies play the stories Tide. Averaged 54mpg hand calculated from Houston to Tuscaloosa and back. Followed speed limits that ranged from 65-75
That's awesome, I remember in the early days of these cars when I reported similar mpg's people on this forum wanted to throw me overboard, glad you are finding similar performance. I no longer own the Passat, but it has nothing to do with car, loved it.

brthorner

TDI
2012 Passat SE 6MT
I have 21,000 miles on my 2012 Passat TDI SE 6-speed (13 months of driving). I typically drive about 80% freeway / 20% city, and I average 39/40 mpg combined.

smoav8r

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta Man (sold), 2013 Passat TDI 6M
Second fill up averaged 46 mpg on 700 miles hand calculated. MFI showed 49.

I always notice that the MPG's are better on the commute home than the drive to work. Usually 3 to 5 mpg. Traffic is about the same each way. Anyone else notice this

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
Second fill up averaged 46 mpg on 700 miles hand calculated. MFI showed 49.

I always notice that the MPG's are better on the commute home than the drive to work. Usually 3 to 5 mpg. Traffic is about the same each way. Anyone else notice this
So many variables could go into it. Car is usually warmer at start up in the afternoon, unless of course you park it overnight in a heated garage. Then there are differences in elevation, wind, and traffic. It all adds up to potentially make one half of the commute better than the other.

TDI
2013 VW Passat
New Passat owner. (2013 SE) I travel 30 miles one way to work on rural roads and about a 10 miles stretch of highway. I have been averaging 45-48 MPG. One trip to Vermont, total 800 miles I averaged 49.7 Very happy with the car.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Those are pretty good numbers! You should come to the New Year's GTG @ Ho5G... there's a thread about it in the Eastern USA forum. Welcome!

mikeyinpa

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 TDI SE
How about a Sticky poll for MPG that shows results in a bar graph? Any Forum veterans think that is a good idea/possible?

mikeyinpa

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 TDI SE
Our dash computer, Trip 1, reports 40 MPG overall this time of year. Mostly local driving and about 3 MPG lower than before Thanksgiving. Winter fuel I'm assuming.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
Our dash computer, Trip 1, reports 40 MPG overall this time of year. Mostly local driving and about 3 MPG lower than before Thanksgiving. Winter fuel I'm assuming.
Winter fuel, colder, less efficient engine temps, and some people don't keep after their tire pressures when the temps drop. Triple whammy.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
How about a Sticky poll for MPG that shows results in a bar graph? Any Forum veterans think that is a good idea/possible?
There is already one in the fuel economy forum. A new thread gets started every month and the results are tabulated and graphed.

rustycat

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 passat sel
As a new owner, with my first longish freeway day drive, I calculated 40 mpg on a 404 mile trip via freeway speeds mostly in the 65 to 75 range. Total miles driven on the car to date: 690. Weather in the mid 40s. Needless to say, I'm very happy as I've never driven anything that go over 29mpg.

1sttdin13

TDI
'13 TDI SE, 6MT (candy white/black interior)
Bought my TDI last Friday, and this week I have been averaging about 30mpg. I live in the SE LA County area, and work in Santa Ana so I have to deal with traffic so I am probably going to average city mileage for the most part. No long road trips planned yet, but maybe a trip to San Diego soon.

Last edited:

AWD9590

TDI
2013 Passat 6 sp. mn.
2013 Passat TDI 6 speed 43/44 MMG

I have a little more than 4K miles of 60% highway,30% semi-rural, and 10% city driving on my SE / MT and I am averaging 43.2, hand calculated vs. 44.1 according to the MFI. I have just elected to coast in gear when possible, as opposed to coasting in nuetral as I had been. I expect to see improved MPG from this method as explained in the next paragraph.

I have read on here on TDIClub that coasting in gear causes the engine to stop pumping fuel into the cylinders under certain conditions. I believe this to be true as my MFI displays 200 MPG when coasting in nuetral above a certain - yet to be determined, by me - speed, however I notice my MFI displays --.- when coasting in gear at speed. I assume that this is because there is no fuel being burned, thus this essential variable is missing from the equation, hence the MFI can't calculate MPG and displays --.-. I believe that this is similar to when idling, and stopped. In the second example the MFI also displays --.- because there is no speedometer input which is essential to the real time MPG calculation.:confused:

:eek: So .. I think that the accumulated time of caosting in gear, as opposed to idling in gear should add up over time, and result in noticeably improved MPG.

I will advise of my reults soon.

Sincerely,

Your resident Nempi-maniac:cool:

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
I have a little more than 4K miles of 60% highway,30% semi-rural, and 10% city driving on my SE / MT and I am averaging 43.2, hand calculated vs. 44.1 according to the MFI. I have just elected to coast in gear when possible, as opposed to coasting in nuetral as I had been. I expect to see improved MPG from this method as explained in the next paragraph.

I have read on here on TDIClub that coasting in gear causes the engine to stop pumping fuel into the cylinders under certain conditions. I believe this to be true as my MFI displays 200 MPG when coasting in nuetral above a certain - yet to be determined, by me - speed, however I notice my MFI displays --.- when coasting in gear at speed. I assume that this is because there is no fuel being burned, thus this essential variable is missing from the equation, hence the MFI can't calculate MPG and displays --.-. I believe that this is similar to when idling, and stopped. In the second example the MFI also displays --.- because there is no speedometer input which is essential to the real time MPG calculation.:confused:

:eek: So .. I think that the accumulated time of caosting in gear, as opposed to idling in gear should add up over time, and result in noticeably improved MPG.

I will advise of my reults soon.

Sincerely,

Your resident Nempi-maniac:cool:
Good numbers so far. I will be curious if your in gear coasting improves MPG's, it does in my Jetta.

AWD9590

TDI
2013 Passat 6 sp. mn.
Good to hear about your sucsess with this method. I will post my results soon.

PS: I meant "COASTING IN NEUTRAL" not idling in gear, which is of course not possible with a manual transmission. Sorry.

Thanks