Model Year 2014
Model Passat
Tranny: 6M
Fuel Type: ULSD

MPG: 54.26 (MFI: 57.2) Off by 5.5%

USCGTO

TDI
Passat TDi 6M
Pretty sure I could have easily gone across the 900 mark.

But then, I would have to fill up sometime on way to work and or risk getting stuck in traffic.

I had a refill at 650- then at 745 and now at 845.. If timing is correct, I'll try and get the next one closer or higher than 900.

czeetah

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat 6MT / Opera Red
First long trip. Mountains of North Carolina to coast of Virginia.

Filled till oozing out filler. Drove 425 miles, filled again till oozing.

7.7 gallons, 55.2 MPG

Temps 80s

Keep in mind that's from about 2000' above sea level to sea level .. Though a lot of up n down.

Could be fill error.

??

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
7.7 gallons, 55.2 MPG
Temps 80s
Keep in mind that's from about 2000' above sea level to sea level .. Though a lot of up n down.
Could be fill error.
??
Sounds plausible to me, what makes you think that there was a filling error?

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
Dunno, just seems high .. Did stick to speed limit so 65/70 most of way.
Will see how she does trip back.
Well, 65 MPH is a great speed for FE. What do you usually get for MPG?

grampareg

TDI
2014 Passat Highline 6MT Black
Fuel Mileage

I have been getting around 95 klm per gallon, The most I got from a tank was 1287 km and was just into the red

cevans

TDIClub Enthusiast, TDI Parts Ninja Vendor , w/Bus
TDI
2015 Beetle Conv. TDI 6-Speed & 2006 E320 CDI
Recent all-highway trip netted me 56.1 on the MFD. Filled in NJ where attendants fill your tank for you, so I won't have a confirmed number for a month until I fill. My MFD has been within 2mpg so far.

Best speed for MPGs in the 6MT, in my experience, is 65-72. You need to both keep up with traffic and have enough speed to coast often. The Passat coasts like no other car I have ever been in.

When is the last time I said I love this car? It's HUGE ands still gets better FE than anything else out there. Sad this part of it doesn't get more attention!

MikeS_18

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, '13 Passat SE, '64 Ford Econoline
Corey, those are crazy numbers. How many miles on your car now? Are you totally stock still?

cevans

TDIClub Enthusiast, TDI Parts Ninja Vendor , w/Bus
TDI
2015 Beetle Conv. TDI 6-Speed & 2006 E320 CDI
I'm at 26,000, stock. Hancooks are at 42psi. I use Opti-Lube XPD every tank.

I'm serious about the coasting thing. Every day I take the same route to work (as most do), and one part of it is a 1-mile slight downhill. In all my MkIV TDIs I could pop it in neutral, and if I was doing 35 at the top of the hill I'd be doing 35 at the stop sign at the bottom of the hill. In the Passat I'll hit that stop sign at 40mph if I'm in neutral, but I can keep it in 5th for the whole way down and still keep 35mph. It is crazy.

Last edited:

Lincoln

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6 Speed MT

7.7 gallons, 55.2 MPG

Temps 80s

Could be fill error.

??
I think the up and down helps. Powering up keeps the engine closer to peak efficiency, then you get to coast down.

On a different note, I had a personal best yesterday:
62.4 MPG on 56 mi route. Temp was 67F. Figure ~60 MPG actual since my MFI is usually 2-3 MPG high compared to hand calculations. Range showed 275 mi to go with 668.6 since the last fill, so on track for >900 mile tank (though I never actually go over 900 since I fill up when the light comes on). Car is completely stock, with Hancooks set at 35psi. 17847 total miles. No crazy hypermiling techniques. Just cruising along with traffic at ~60 MPH and coasting down hills. This car is amazing.

Tinkertoy

TDI
'17 passat SEL 1.8t gasser, '13 passat se dsg
I have been pulling about 52 mpg on the highway. That is in the morning with no a/c running and 68mph. That drops to 49 or so in the afternoon, when I have the a/c on.

I get between 37 and 42 in town.....unless my wife wants to be lazy and wait in the car with the a/c running.

It is amazing how much fuel gets wasted when you idle for long periods!

USCGTO

TDI
Passat TDi 6M
Date 9/3/2014

Miles 837
Gallons 15.522
Price 3.519
Model Year 2014
Model Passat
Tranny: 6M
Fuel Type: ULSD

MPG: 53.92

PaulB

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE M6
So, if the TDI option raises the price only $1,000 (and it's usually over $2k more), that means your payment is going to be $16.67 more for the month. So that's 2x more for the payment than you are saving in the fuel costs.
One thing missing from this analysis is the resale value. I suspect some of that premium paid for diesel, maybe all of it, will be recovered on resale. Try to sell a gas-engined car with 200k miles on the clock. Might as well drive it to a junkyard; while resale on a diesel is not that unreasonable. I got $4500 IIRC for a B4 wagon with 216k...

But yeah, if my driving was short trips in the city, I'd have a gas hybrid, not a diesel.

Last edited:

pparks1

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
That wasn't a thorough analysis, but rather a simple comment after somebody said they only drive 200 miles a month. Seems highly unlikely they would ever get 200k on the odometer. At just 2,400 miles per year, it would take 83 years.

cheoah

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta PD, '14 Passat
Getting 36 mpg driving around town. 4000 miles on car. Get 50+ on highway. The 36 reflects my having fun with me new car, noting silly, just fast accelerations and giving the curves he'll. just setup fuelly and wife says shell do with the 06 pumpe duse too.

Sent from my iSomething using Tapatalk
Please forgive typos and commas

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
Weather is starting to get cool so this will probably be my last "good" tank, Winterized fuel went on sale here on Wednesday.

884.1 miles/16.2 Gal= 54.6 MPG

Turbo Mitch

TDI
Passat
2014 TDI 6 speed MPG

Hello: I have had the car for 6 months and find when my wife drives it in town I have not seen less than 39.8 MPG. When I drive it highway in stop on go traffic on I-5 Seattle around 60 miles a day I get 43 to 44.8. I have yet to take the car on any long distance highway trips.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
Quick observation from MFI only over two days commuting, all things about the same.

11/18 temp was 5* at start of commute, MFI displayed 54 MPG at the end of 22 mile commute.

11/19 temp was 20* at start of commute, MFI displayed 60 MPG at end of 22 mile commute.

Stack this against my best on record one way commute of 84 MPG and a person can see how cold temps effect these cars.

Lincoln

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6 Speed MT
I won't argue that cold doesn't matter, but I will say that despite temps in the low 40s, my MFI showed mileage the past two days as high as most I got in the summer (~53MPG on MFI, so probably ~50.5 MPG actual based on typical fuel receipts). The difference these past two days was that I left early each day and missed the rush hour traffic. (In Seattle it's dark for most of the day now, and frequently raining, so everyone slows way down. Also, there's school traffic that doesn't exist in the summer. Basically, traffic sucks.) That made me think that perhaps the big increase in traffic has as much or more to do with my mileage than the cold, which admittedly isn't as severe for me as for someone like psd1. Anyone else notice the same?

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
I won't argue that cold doesn't matter, but I will say that despite temps in the low 40s, my MFI showed mileage the past two days as high as most I got in the summer (~53MPG on MFI, so probably ~50.5 MPG actual based on typical fuel receipts). The difference these past two days was that I left early each day and missed the rush hour traffic. (In Seattle it's dark for most of the day now, and frequently raining, so everyone slows way down. Also, there's school traffic that doesn't exist in the summer. Basically, traffic sucks.) That made me think that perhaps the big increase in traffic has as much or more to do with my mileage than the cold, which admittedly isn't as severe for me as for someone like psd1. Anyone else notice the same?
After almost 40K miles in this car there are two things that drastically decrease my MPG.

1. Speeds over 65.
2. Temperatures below 20*

40* is still in the sweet spot for my car, and I don't see much of a decline in MPG. My commute is generally very predictable so comparisons are very easy to make throughout the year. I still won't complain with a low tank of 43 MPG and a high of 56 MPG.

Timbo1711

TDI
None
Are you folks with 50+ for real? I'm quite happy with my 2013 M6 but since the beginning, I've been getting ~36 mpg no matter what I do, city or highway, unless I super-baby the throttle on a long highway trip, coasting down freeway hills, etc, in which case I get ~40-41. Is it my vehicle or are folks exaggerating here? (I assume not).....

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
Are you folks with 50+ for real? I'm quite happy with my 2013 M6 but since the beginning, I've been getting ~36 mpg no matter what I do, city or highway, unless I super-baby the throttle on a long highway trip, coasting down freeway hills, etc, in which case I get ~40-41. Is it my vehicle or are folks exaggerating here? (I assume not).....
I have zero reason to embellish my MPG. My commute is mostly rural/55 MPH highway and the TDI Passat with the 6 Manual is the perfect tool for my needs. I am the only one who has ever filled the tank in my car, and I always fill to the brim. All of this info is easy to read on my Fuelly link.

Since I'm not exaggerating, and I doubt that others are I must assume that it's your car, or your driving style. Speed kills my MPG, and then OAT's of 20* and lower. My state has a freeway top speed of 65 MPH, anything above that speed and my MPG suffers.

IXLR8

Veteran Member
TDI
12 Passat Platinum Gray, 02 Golf Black, 01 Jetta Black
I know I am for real, I don't think I have ever seen below 45mpg. 90% of my driving is on the highway, at the speed limit. High speed kills... your mpg's, low temps kill your mpg's, stop-n-go kills your mpg's. I also run my tire pressure at 38psi. I am the only one who fills my car, I do find that my mileage is still improving with 60K miles on the car. In the winter my snow tires kill 3-4 mpg's. All my fillups are posted in my fuelly account.