Real World MPG - 6 speed Manual

Jbdesigns

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6MT, 2012 Jetta TDI 6mt (sold)
TDI owners are the only group that use "only" and "45 MPG" in the same sentence.
I laugh myself when I talk about it. When I was at the dealer yesterday to get fuel filter changed I'm talking to my salesman about my mileage. He knows I get great tanks and tells potential customers about my experience. And when I say I'm only going to get 44-45 mpg in winter, I chuckle out loud. Telling him that 45 is still fantastic but when it's down 3 or more you can be disappointed. I don't actually look at it as much now and just drive.

passatv6af

Veteran Member
TDI
B7 6MT
we have about 2000 miles on our 2013 SEL, and the wife just drove from Dallas to Memphis, 452 miles going between 65 and 75mph depending on the road. She reported that the display is showing 44mpg right now. She was hoping for a little better. She did say it dropped a mile or two once she got on the faster freeways and was going over 70. She will head to Jackson, MS tomorrow, then back to Dallas Tuesday. Once she fills up we'll see what the calculated MPG is. Her car seems to be fairly close to the display most of the time.
That's weird. The 6mt gets 43mpg+ without any effort. Has she been using cruise?

cmarcho

TDI
2015 Corvette Z51 7spd / 2016 ATS-V (was '13 passat sel)
That's weird. The 6mt gets 43mpg+ without any effort. Has she been using cruise?

Oops, wrong thread!!! LOL

I meant to post in DSG mpg thread! Don't know how I clicked on this one.

:eek:

Thenixon

TDI
2014 Passat SE TDi
Hmm, I'm on my third tank and averaging just shy of 44 mpg. Seems like increasing my tire pressure would be the first thing to do. Do you guys rely on a simple pencil gauge when overfilling your tires? Or is a more accurate piece of gear implicated?

Jimbo70

Veteran Member
TDI
None currently
We're taking a nice, long road trip starting early Friday morning with our '13 Passat TDI 6MT. It has about 8,000 miles on it at this point and this will be its first long test. I'm thinking about tweeting about it for my dealership. If I do, I'll post the info before we leave.

Jimbo70

Veteran Member
TDI
None currently
Well, we WERE going to take our Passat for a nice, long road trip Friday morning. That was until my wife tangled with a deer tonight on her way home from work. Both she and our daughter are fine. The car? Not so much. Now we're taking my gas '14 Jetta on the trip. Oh well, maybe next year. What really sucks is we just got the car back from a month at the bodyshop two weeks ago, after it was backed into by an F-150 while sitting in a friend's driveway.

ZootsAlures

Veteran Member
TDI
2012Passat SE TDI
Yesterday I drove with a colleague from the Hartford area to Sandwich, MA (Cape Cod), then to Boston, then west to Gardner before heading back. About 60% of the highway speed was at 69 MPH and a bunch of random moments well north of that. Totaling 390 miles I averaged 45mpg including off-highway and city driving too.

2012 Passat TDI SE. 6SpM-Black/Black/Dark Tint

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
long term records

Only 14k miles... but 41+ mpg average which includes about 80% city driving, and I don't hypermile.

Best? 54mpg on a ~780 mile tank at 5000-10,000 feet of altitude, and through the mountains and all highway. Not hypermiling, in fact pushing moderately all the time. I was impressed.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
What really sucks is we just got the car back from a month at the bodyshop two weeks ago, after it was backed into by an F-150 while sitting in a friend's driveway.
A month, how bad was it hit?

HBRD_KLR

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6M
I am planning a 859 mile trip one way trip next week. Hoping to make it on one tank.
My best was 870,

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
So, last two tanks have only been 47.3 and 47.4 MPG. The weather has been very cold though, it was 8 when we left the house yesterday.

ZootsAlures

Veteran Member
TDI
2012Passat SE TDI
My real MPG have trended down almost 15% in the last 45 days. Colder weather and I trust winter blend are the prime culprits. Approaching.another 10k mile checkup and will inquire about what can be done to improve MPG s other than my lead driving foot

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
My real MPG have trended down almost 15% in the last 45 days. Colder weather and I trust winter blend are the prime culprits. Approaching.another 10k mile checkup and will inquire about what can be done to improve MPG s other than my lead driving foot

What are your numbers?

oswegoPD

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TSI, 2013 Passat 6M sold, 2012 Jetta Premium DSG sold, 2004 Jetta GL 5M (sold)
I am done about the same with this cold snap.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
What can be done? Move to a warmer climate. ;)

oswegoPD

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TSI, 2013 Passat 6M sold, 2012 Jetta Premium DSG sold, 2004 Jetta GL 5M (sold)
Getting above 35 degrees the last 2 days was worth 10 mpg on my commute.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
Recorded my second worst tank since purchasing the car, 44.2 MPG. We had some real cold weather and it is just a killer! From a best of 54.8 in September to this... :0

ZootsAlures

Veteran Member
TDI
2012Passat SE TDI
I switched to Sunoco from using a generic fuel after watching my MPG AVG trend downward from 49 to 41- even including sub-freezing temps. First Sunoco fill up I immediately achieved 52-53 MPG. A 20% + immediate gain in MPG was pretty weird but I'll take it. Weather did climb above 50 F a couple of days but tomorrow it's supposed to drop again to the mid 20's

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
I switched to Sunoco from using a generic fuel after watching my MPG AVG trend downward from 49 to 41- even including sub-freezing temps. First Sunoco fill up I immediately achieved 52-53 MPG. A 20% + immediate gain in MPG was pretty weird but I'll take it. Weather did climb above 50 F a couple of days but tomorrow it's supposed to drop again to the mid 20's

I'll guess the improved MPG came during the warmer weather? We have had a warm trend 30* AM's and 50* PM's and this tank is showing 47 MPG, which usually means an actual 48-48.5 MPG.

Do you have any other explanation why the Sunoco fuel would return so much better economy?

ZootsAlures

Veteran Member
TDI
2012Passat SE TDI
My unscientific explanation is that the "Other" station's tanks have accumulated too much water and that their filtration process is poor.

Maybe it's due to them purchasing the least costliest fuel and then NOT to mix in the Additives that the name brands do. I spoke with the "Other" station's night supervisor and shared my observations with him. The only thing that he could offer up was the single stage filtration process vs. duel stage filtration that other stations use.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Filtration shouldn't make a significant difference in fuel economy, as it's all going to be filtered by the vehicle's fuel filter anyway.

I think your increase in economy can be attributed to those warmer temps you mentioned.

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
To pass our current over stringent emissions regs the ECU jacks around quite a bit with the injection events, timing, quantity and duration settings in relation to ambient temperature & air pressure....

those adjustments can affect mpgs quite a bit up & down.....

PassatSE4me

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE 6MT
Looks like I might have my first sub 600 mile tank. On vacation this week and have been doing lots of tooling around town.

ZootsAlures

Veteran Member
TDI
2012Passat SE TDI
Between the last day of running on the "Old" fuel and the next day of using the Sunoco there may have been a difference of five -seven degrees F to which if the temps went down I would see an MPG swing go down one maybe two MPG. In this instance the temp rose (Mid 30's-low 40's F) and the MPG increase was drastic-over 10MPG.

I do have a fairly competent grasp of engineering practicum though my experiences in diesel theory are solely with my TDI-Yes, much to learn. Looking at my data logging on fuelly.com is missing at least the outside temperatures enabling a foundation for analysis.

My thoughts ran trying to point to the contributing variable- fuel brand that MAY have been the sole cause. Non the less, I'm staying the course with using the Sunoco brand and paying the inconsequential premium (< $3 variance per tank full) to achieve these improved and desired results.