real world EVs review

gearheadgrrrl

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Golf DSG, '13 JSW DSG surrendered to VW, '03 Golf 2 door manual
You really notice TDI torque when you don't have it, like in my Transit Connect with it's 2 liter no turbo gasser. Even empty it weights around 4000 pounds so even modest upgrades require a downshift, put an aerodynamically ugly load on a trailer behind and it's downshifting on a flat road to buck barely perceptible winds, modest hills bring on double downshifts. Nothing wrong with the engine, it's the same basic engine that pushes the Miata to 14 second quarter miles, but the power curve is up too high to be usable. With the same loads a TDI, even the 90 HP ALH, happily cruises in top gear and only needs downshifts for the real hills.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I believe those cars were purchased by ride hailing companies that went insolvent when China slashed the giant govt. subsidies they were getting. A similar sort of thing happened there a few years ago with bicycles when the govt. heavily subsidized those manufacturers. There were literally mountains of bicycles piled up around China. Many of those cars may be a bit obsolete by now, but I bet a lot of them will be/have been pressed back into service.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I saw 4 Rivians while riding around my town today. Seems like a lot. I see Teslas all the time, mostly Model 3s. But I also see a lot of Range Rovers, Cayannes, and Q7s. They all seem ridiculous to me.

prsa01

Veteran Member
TDI
14 jsw 6m, 96 B4v, miss my a4 :(
I saw 4 Rivians while riding around my town today. Seems like a lot. I see Teslas all the time, mostly Model 3s. But I also see a lot of Range Rovers, Cayannes, and Q7s. They all seem ridiculous to me.
It's prudent to "never say never" but I certainly can't ever see myself spending that kind of money on, what is ALMOST always, a rapidly depreciating asset. My last 2 tdis sold for about what I paid for them after years of use. My current 14 jsw (admittedly due to very unusual circumstances) could sell for more than I paid for it 3+ years ago. Of course, then I'd have to buy something else in these same circumstances.

To each their own. I have family members that do the buy new thing. My dad even does the rotating lease for cars every couple of years. For me it's always made more financial sense to buy used after the biggest chunk of depreciation and keep as long as practical. Only got burned once with private party purchases and that ultimately turned out OK due to a hail storm. I do as much of my own wrenching as my tools allow and use a tdi guru beyond that.

Thank goodness for the new car flippers. There wouldn't be any used cars without them ;-)

gmenounos

Vendor
TDI
'99.5 Golf GLS, '01 Jetta GLX Wagon (TDI conversion)
Thank goodness for the new car flippers. There wouldn't be any used cars without them ;-)
Not everyone who buys a shiny new car is a flipper. I'm 57 and the Model 3 is the first new car I've ever owned. My other 2 cars are the 99.5 Golf with 193k miles that I bought 20 years ago and the 2001 Jetta wagon with 230k miles that I bought 14 years ago. I have every intention of driving the Model 3 into the ground (cue the peanut gallery telling me that it won't be long...)

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I've fallen into the pattern (mostly) of buying new and keeping a long time. A long time used to be 6-8 years, now it seems to be longer. I've had IBW for 21, my GSW for 6. The others in my sig I bought used, but I've had all of them for more than 6 years.

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
Never needed any warranty. Usually do something to void them right away anyway.
Or the stealerships help you in that regard. Our local stealership required my wife to put new tires on hers before they'd even look at it, they claim it was as per the manufacturer. The tires were more than legal and the rears weren't even 1/2 worn (6/32nds). The manufacturer is getting an earful in a scathing letter. This is why I call them 'stealerships'.

So she spent $1K in tires and all they found (supposedly) was a bad rear u-joint. So for a $40 part they made her spend $1K before they'd even touch it. I checked the u-joint before it went in and it was fine, so we'll see what happens when it's finally "repaired".

turbodieseldyke

Veteran Member
TDI
98 jetta
Or the stealerships help you in that regard. Our local stealership required my wife to put new tires on hers before they'd even look at it, they claim it was as per the manufacturer. The tires were more than legal and the rears weren't even 1/2 worn (6/32nds). The manufacturer is getting an earful in a scathing letter. This is why I call them 'stealerships'.

So she spent $1K in tires and all they found (supposedly) was a bad rear u-joint. So for a $40 part they made her spend $1K before they'd even touch it. I checked the u-joint before it went in and it was fine, so we'll see what happens when it's finally "repaired".
*Test drive similar car on stealer's lot, unaccompanied by salesman
*Drive it to your nearby car
*Swap wheels
*Return from test drive
*"She drives nice, but i want to kick the tires some more"
*Wife drives in for service on "acceptable" new tires

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Customer just wrote us that he felt obligated to reduce the amount of hydrocarbons he creates, so he's giving up his ALH for a used BMW i3. He said the state of California is going to pay him $1,500 to crush his TDI. Sad on all counts.

J_dude

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 1.9l “Jedi”
Customer just wrote us that he felt obligated to reduce the amount of hydrocarbons he creates, so he's giving up his ALH for a used BMW i3. He said the state of California is going to pay him $1,500 to crush his TDI. Sad on all counts.
The stupidity of this baffles me. It’s a heck of a lot better for the environment to keep driving an old ALH rather than build a whole new car... SMH

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Wait til you EV zealots start seeing your precious teslas crushed, never to return because the commie gov wouldn't allow Musk to mine asteroids for cobalt & lithium.
Um, ok. For everything there is a season, and a time for every matter under heaven. If you hate our govt. so much, there's plenty of other options out there. :)

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier

gmenounos

Vendor
TDI
Well you could have offered him greater than $1500 to sell you the car and then it would be win-win. I'm guessing he would have sold it instead of taking the money from CA if he could have gotten substantially more money from it by selling it privately or as a trade-in. But the body may have been in rough shape. Who knows? The reality is that a 20-year-old TDI isn't in high demand outside of this site.

gmenounos

Vendor
TDI
Wait til you EV zealots start seeing your precious teslas crushed, never to return because the commie gov wouldn't allow Musk to mine asteroids for cobalt & lithium.
I couldn't care less if my Model 3 gets crushed someday when it's 20 years old. It was the only EV in 2023 that I could afford that had the range and charging speed that I need so that I could replace one of my TDIs (which I will be selling once I fix a few things - I hope one of you ICE zealots will step up and offer top dollar :) ). In 20 years there will be a lot more choices.

turbodieseldyke

Veteran Member
TDI
98 jetta
In 20 years there will be a lot more choices.
Doubtful. You EV guys don't realize the real carbon enviro-nuts have bigger plans to shut everything down completely. You think you're making a sensible compromise by trading ICE for batteries. Once they completely shut down hydrocarbons, they will suddenly remember how harmful and wasteful your batteries are, with the strip mining and child slave labor camps and windmills killing birds and dolphins, and then they'll turn their wrath onto you. Not to mention there won't be any fuel taxes to pay for roads, so you'll be taxed by the mile at different rates in every district, with invasive tracking systems that Orwell or Huxley could never dream of.

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
You forgot they control the electricity generation and distribution. Yes, to a degree they control fuels now, but they can't argue beneficial use elsewhere to compensate for it. I've seen this in numerous states already where they want to control your thermostat and usage by tiered platforms from which you need to choose, or outright limiting through tariffs.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
There are more than a few of us out there who would rather have a 20 year old car than a new one. Lately I've been looking for something with 3 rows of seats, and am considering the Audi Q7 TDI and Range Rover Discovery. But the size, complexity, and anticipated maintenance and repair costs of those vehicles terrify me. And I don't find them especially appealing.

So instead I'm looking at Eurovans and, of all things, a Toyota Previa. We had a Previa when our kids were young and it was one of the best vehicles I've owned. The size and simplicity of these cars is much more attractive to me. And I'm not afraid of maintaining an old car.

oilhammer

TDI
I just sent a 2005 Golf back on its way after the owner happily spent $4700 on it.

I have a 2006 NB here that is getting resurrected.

A 2009 Jetta that is getting a new engine.

A 2001 Jetta that the owner saved after a crash, and now I am tasked with getting its mechanicals back in order.

A 2005 Passat that is just ready to cross 400k miles, that is getting a few things done (the rest of the cars on this list have over 1/4 million)

The idea that "nobody" is keeping wanting old TDIs, or old cars in general (got a 350k mile Silverado right next to me getting its rear end rebuilt... again...) must not have caught on in Missouri.

And we are DESPERATELY in need of people to help with this endeavor. A tech and a service writer. I'm working 60 hours a week and cannot keep up.

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
I loved the Previas and Vanwagons I had back in the day.

Sad to see them go to instagram hipsters. Why do these people name their cars?

oilhammer

TDI
The Previa was a pretty well engineered and certainly well put together vehicle. But they were expensive as compared to their rivals of the time, and the lack of a 6 cyl certainly didn't hurt, although the 2.4L had adequate power and the supercharged version (which was later standard) equaled the V6s of the day. But it made them even more expensive. The traction was awful, too... but the AWD version took care of that, but with even more expense. I don't remember what the MSRPs were, but they were really high. The Vanagons and Eurovans had a similar uphill battle with regards to cost. My friend's 1982 (still air-cooled) optionless Vanagon cost almost as much as my 1993 F150 did new. A 1993 Eurovan was a whopping TEN GRAND more.

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
Never had a supercharged Previa, but did have one that was AWD, and another that had a manual 5 speed tranny--got great MPGs on road trips. I thought the NA motor did fine for a minivan.

The Vanwagons (Van) had the motor out of a forklift in it. It was fun changing the #4 spark plug.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
We had a supercharged RWD one with full leather and captains chairs. MSRP was around $34K, and that was in 1994! Yes, extremely expensive. But Toyota was offering a lease with a negative money factor, so we leased it and bought it at the end of the lease term. It was horrible in the snow with all seasons, but it did fine with Blizzaks on it. And it was absolutely bulletproof. The two sunroofs were nice, too.

We made many a road trip to SC in it, and it would happily run at 80+ MPH with 5 people aboard. Usually got 24-26 MPG on those trips. Not bad, really. We lost it to an accident, and I was sad to see it go.