real world EVs review

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
When you've wrenched on just about everything in the automotive world, you tend to identify certain traits that certain companies do that is specific to them. So you can look at an engine, removed from whatever it was in, even with any identification removed, and you can tell whose it is. They all do things a wee bit differently. And there are transitional changes as well as continental changes. A European Ford has some differences than a domestic one within a certain time frame. Same for GM stuff. And despite Nissan being owned by Renault for some time, they still continue to do things that are still distinctly Japanese Nissan.

oilhammer

TDI
Yes, VAG has pretty much caved to this CUV nonsense that has become the norm here. Really sad. But, the consumers are driving it. The new cars I would care to own are dwindling every year.

Daemon64

Veteran Member
TDI
2022 Polestar 2 BEV - Current, 2021 Q5 55e PHEV - Retired, 2015 Q5 3.0 TDI - Retired, 2013 Golf TDI - Retired
VW of A doesn't get it... First they said goodbye to over 100K TDI sales a year, now they limit supply of the only cars they have left (GTI and Golf R) to only a couple thousand a year. And they expect us to fall in love with their mediocre SUVs and ID4 electric?
yeah most of them have the atlas just sitting on the lot, tons of them, and my wife and i everytime "STOP MAKING THAT CAR" its awful

oilhammer

TDI
They'll be fire sale soon, like the eGolf did at the end. At least that was a decent looking boat anchor. And "only" about $40k, LMAO.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Apparently VW is partnering up with Xpeng to badge engineer a couple of Xpeng models for the Chinese market. Seems like a decent plan since VW's EV sales in China have not been stellar. Will be interesting to see if these rebadged cars expand to sales outside of the Chinese market eventually.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I bet this boat wishes their anchor only cost $50k
Zerohedge would more accurately be titled Zero credibility. Reminds me of this story:

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
That's just bad reporting. One nameless person said they thought the fire may have started near an EV. The official Coast Guard statement is that they don't yet know the source of the fire. Another RoRo ship caught fire off the coast of New Jersey the other day and there was similar speculation that an EV was the cause. Turns out all the EVs on that ship were offloaded in another port before the fire started.

Last edited:

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
I was considering selling my TDI and just committing to full electric. After the last few weeks, maybe not.

"In the end, I just don't get how Tesla can seem to put in massive SuperCharger installations in many locations in what seems like mere months and then keep them maintained, but companies like EA, ChargePoint, Blink, and EVGo struggle to quickly build out and then maintain much smaller sites with 1-4 chargers. I mean, this is not exactly rocket surgery here; it's a solved problem, technologically.

I suppose in the end, as with most things, it comes down to $$$$ together with the will and commitment to making it happen.
"

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
"In the end, I just don't get how Tesla can seem to put in massive SuperCharger installations in many locations in what seems like mere months and then keep them maintained, but companies like EA, ChargePoint, Blink, and EVGo struggle to quickly build out and then maintain much smaller sites with 1-4 chargers. I mean, this is not exactly rocket surgery here; it's a solved problem, technologically.
Think of all the products/services we touch where one supplier can make it work and another can't. They're everywhere. Why could Mercedes make durable, reliable diesel cars in the 70s and GM failed miserably? Or closer to home, why does one VW diesel engine run reliably for a long time, and another doesn't? Think ALH and BHW for older engines, or CVCA vs. CKRA for newer ones.

I'm willing to bet that the non-Tesla chargers all struggle for different reasons, even though the consumer result is the same.

Daemon64

Veteran Member
TDI
2022 Polestar 2 BEV - Current, 2021 Q5 55e PHEV - Retired, 2015 Q5 3.0 TDI - Retired, 2013 Golf TDI - Retired
I was considering selling my TDI and just committing to full electric. After the last few weeks, maybe not.

I suppose in the end, as with most things, it comes down to $$$$ together with the will and commitment to making it happen.
"
Exactly. Volvo is gone, 20th Anniv R is running nice. Waiting for the lease end of the P2, in the mean time, in april gonna order an Audi rs3. Few years later we'll get a rivian R1T provided they're still doing well. But no electric as our primary.

Chimney removed from house, working on sealing the interior, and then pellet stove coming. 88% LHV & 82% HHV -- Quadrafire Outfitter 2. Runs on a thermostat, auto start.... relatively low emissions. Will produce about 1/2 the CO2 of our electricity running the splits to heat, but also much less $$ like think 1/3rd or less. Also have replacement sashes for 13 of our windows coming tripled paned R5.2 1" .19U, and then all the remaining huge bow/bay windows and etc... going from 1/4" 1980 double paned like R1.7 to Triple paned 1" R5.2. So working on reducing emissions incredible from the house..... like difference of 11k lbs of CO2 /yr in heating w/ the splits ( 12,000 kwh and in mass its like 900 something lbs per megawatt ) ---- so the pellet stove should ONLY be around 5,500 at MOST.... which the other upgrades might even be less.

fun times, fun times...

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Improvements sound nice. I think about doing similer things to my home: the insulation and sealing are a no-brainer, but I struggle with what to do about windows. I'm picky about aesthetics, and the house has a lot of windows. What I really should do is move to a smaller home.

gmenounos

Vendor
TDI
'99.5 Golf GLS, '01 Jetta GLX Wagon (TDI conversion)

"
I think right now, if you want to get an EV to use for mostly around town and short (100 mile or less) trips, and have a level 2 charger at home or work, probably most of them would be fine.

If you want an EV but need to do longer road trips, can stomach buying a car from a company run by a crazy person and have a service center not too far away, I think only Tesla works right now with a minimum of hassle. I'm sure things will improve for other makes in a year or two.

ID.4 owners (and others) got suckered into the promise of 3 years of free EA charging, thinking that road trips would be easy. Now they're finding out that EA isn't doing a great job maintaining the chargers and that even when they find a working charger, the car doesn't always charge as quickly as expected because the car doesn't precondition the battery to the optimal temperature prior to charging.

The Tesla chargers are simpler (no screen, no keypad, no credit car reader) and the connector is smaller and simpler:

1692983033701.png

The CCS connector has a latch on the charging cable which sometimes breaks. Teslas have the latch mechanism in the charger port on the car instead of on the cable.

Tesla can also prefab a block of chargers at the factory, which is cheaper, but I'd guess also more reliable because they can test the whole setup before it leaves the factory:

Anyway, 8500 miles in and no major complaints about the Model 3. Did a long weekend recently in Beacon, NY then down to NYC to pick up our daughter who was returning from summer camp then back to Boston. The hotel we stayed at had an EV charger so the only supercharging we did was 10 minutes at the Charlton rest stop on the Mass Pike on the way home.

Looks like we're going to do Thanksgiving in Atlanta this year, so we'll be able to see how well it works for a 1000-mile (each way) road trip.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Think of all the products/services we touch where one supplier can make it work and another can't. They're everywhere. Why could Mercedes make durable, reliable diesel cars in the 70s and GM failed miserably? Or closer to home, why does one VW diesel engine run reliably for a long time, and another doesn't? Think ALH and BHW for older engines, or CVCA vs. CKRA for newer ones.

I'm willing to bet that the non-Tesla chargers all struggle for different reasons, even though the consumer result is the same.
I really wonder if part of it is that no one is really reporting Tesla charging station issues. When you pull into a charging station, there are usually about a dozen tesla chargers but other are in the 1-2-4 range. So if one tesla charger doesn't work, you pull into the next one. Just like going to get fuel and one pump has bags on the handle. Doesn't really delay your charge or make you have to start searching for the next available unit.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Improvements sound nice. I think about doing similer things to my home: the insulation and sealing are a no-brainer, but I struggle with what to do about windows. I'm picky about aesthetics, and the house has a lot of windows. What I really should do is move to a smaller home.
We did most of our windows 2 years ago. You really can't tell the difference from the outside. The exception is that we went with true double hung windows with full screens. Can't say for sure that they've saved us any money but there is less street noise. If I pull up the blinds on the original windows in the dining room, they still let a lot of heat through. Even though they face north. If I pull the blinds on the new living room windows, I don't notice the big difference in temp.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I really wonder if part of it is that no one is really reporting Tesla charging station issues. When you pull into a charging station, there are usually about a dozen tesla chargers but other are in the 1-2-4 range. So if one tesla charger doesn't work, you pull into the next one. Just like going to get fuel and one pump has bags on the handle. Doesn't really delay your charge or make you have to start searching for the next available unit.
The Tesla chargers aren't 100% trouble free, though they are vastly better than the alternatives. What really differentiates the Supercharger network is that Tesla has maintenance crews across the country that are immediately notified when problems arise and typically have them fixed within 24 hours. While the other networks have chargers that sit nonfunctional for days and even weeks at a time.

gearheadgrrrl

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Golf DSG, '13 JSW DSG surrendered to VW, '03 Golf 2 door manual
Exactly. Volvo is gone, 20th Anniv R is running nice. Waiting for the lease end of the P2, in the mean time, in april gonna order an Audi rs3. Few years later we'll get a rivian R1T provided they're still doing well. But no electric as our primary.

Chimney removed from house, working on sealing the interior, and then pellet stove coming. 88% LHV & 82% HHV -- Quadrafire Outfitter 2. Runs on a thermostat, auto start.... relatively low emissions. Will produce about 1/2 the CO2 of our electricity running the splits to heat, but also much less $$ like think 1/3rd or less. Also have replacement sashes for 13 of our windows coming tripled paned R5.2 1" .19U, and then all the remaining huge bow/bay windows and etc... going from 1/4" 1980 double paned like R1.7 to Triple paned 1" R5.2. So working on reducing emissions incredible from the house..... like difference of 11k lbs of CO2 /yr in heating w/ the splits ( 12,000 kwh and in mass its like 900 something lbs per megawatt ) ---- so the pellet stove should ONLY be around 5,500 at MOST.... which the other upgrades might even be less.

fun times, fun times...
Been heating with wood primarily for the two decades, did the numbers once and found that I was saving more Green House Gasses (GHGs) than my friends $100+K solar array... She unfriended me when I told her that. Thanks for the data on the pellet stove vs. what I assume is electric heat pumps, been tempted to try a heat pump with the rebates but it might actually increase my GHG emissions as you found.