real world EVs review

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
Depends on what you call rare and cool. Something I wanted: OE 15s for my GSW.

OE Lyons? I think that's what they are. I removed the 17" OE's on one Mk7 and replaced with 16" Passat wheels with Nokian Entyres. The other GSW has the OE 16 Dover with Nokian "One's." Thought about 15, but I think the 16 is a good compromise for that car.

Pro tip: any NCS TDI guys, if you can find a set of the 15" aluminum Jetta Hybrid wheels, they are extra light and look good on the car (all the NCS TDIs came with 16" aluminum wheels as standard, save for the 2015 Value Edition, which got steelies/ugly hubcaps)
This is interesting. I guess I never noticed the wheels on the J Hyrbid.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
How do you like the Nokian Ones? I'm looking at those as well as the Entyre. I doubt this car will get much winter use in the near term so a regular all season may work fine. And they're about $100 less for a set of 4 than the WR G4s.

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
How do you like the Nokian Ones? I'm looking at those as well as the Entyre. I doubt this car will get much winter use in the near term so a regular all season may work fine. And they're about $100 less for a set of 4 than the WR G4s.
They just went on (her) GSW, to too early to say, but I did mount some on my 2003 after a road hazard incident took out 2 Entyres. The One's are a little quieter, and might be even better for LRR and FE, but otherwise very similar. I'll have a better idea after some inclement weather. I really liked the Entytres as a LRR tire for MPG, but they were also very good in rain and snow. The compound didn't last as long as some others, but I'd take the trade-off for better grip. The first Entyres I had (made in Finland?) were the best, but the 2.0 versions (made in Russia) started having road noise, which increased notably over time. The One's were made in America (TN), which is pretty cool, so we'll see how that goes. The guy who mounted them on my 2003, a Nokian dealer in Texas (of all places), was very upbeat about the switch from Entyres to Ones. I think I paid about $105 per tire for (4) 205/55/16 for the GSW, but a bit more out in Texas, at $115+/- each. Need more miles to really have compare.

Daemon64

Veteran Member
TDI
2022 Polestar 2 BEV - Current, 2021 Q5 55e PHEV - Retired, 2015 Q5 3.0 TDI - Retired, 2013 Golf TDI - Retired
They just went on (her) GSW, to too early to say, but I did mount some on my 2003 after a road hazard incident took out 2 Entyres. The One's are a little quieter, and might be even better for LRR and FE, but otherwise very similar. I'll have a better idea after some inclement weather. I really liked the Entytres as a LRR tire for MPG, but they were also very good in rain and snow. The compound didn't last as long as some others, but I'd take the trade-off for better grip. The first Entyres I had (made in Finland?) were the best, but the 2.0 versions (made in Russia) started having road noise, which increased notably over time. The One's were made in America (TN), which is pretty cool, so we'll see how that goes. The guy who mounted them on my 2003, a Nokian dealer in Texas (of all places), was very upbeat about the switch from Entyres to Ones. I think I paid about $105 per tire for (4) 205/55/16 for the GSW, but a bit more out in Texas, at $115+/- each. Need more miles to really have compare.
Its not on a GSW but I have the Michelin Cross Climate 2's on my polestar 2, and I will say I saw no appreciable wh/mi hit in the electric over the summer low rolling resistant michelins it came with. FWIW electrics are more noticeable for tires / usage and the cross climates for traction I will say are almost as good as Continental DWS 06+ ... snow / rain to me feel mostly like dry pavement, and it gets good range to boot. Mind you they put the power down w/ 487 HP & 510 ft/lbs AWD 245's... I was honestly amazed at how well they've performed, I figured I'd be getting less range, and mostly ok traction.

TomJD

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI GLS, 2015 Golf TDI
The 15s last longer, too.

Pro tip: any NCS TDI guys, if you can find a set of the 15" aluminum Jetta Hybrid wheels, they are extra light and look good on the car (all the NCS TDIs came with 16" aluminum wheels as standard, save for the 2015 Value Edition, which got steelies/ugly hubcaps)
NCS only? Or Golfs too?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
It was an OEM wheel on the NCS Jetta Hybrid only, I'm sure it would bolt on a Golf, too. Sometimes the aesthetics don't look right on certain cars, that's why I specified NCS cars because they'd already look 'normal' with those wheels. Other than that, and the goofy grill, the hybrids look the same as the other NCSs (and I think you could use that grill on a TDI, too!).

gmenounos

Vendor
TDI
'99.5 Golf GLS, '01 Jetta GLX Wagon (TDI conversion)
Its not on a GSW but I have the Michelin Cross Climate 2's on my polestar 2, and I will say I saw no appreciable wh/mi hit in the electric over the summer low rolling resistant michelins it came with.
Interesting. I've been thinking about what tires to get for the Model 3 for next winter. I'd considered the Cross Climate 2's but Tire Rack found that they got noticeably (about 11%) shorter range than the stock tires: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=298
Maybe that's just par for the course for winter tires.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Interesting. I've been thinking about what tires to get for the Model 3 for next winter. I'd considered the Cross Climate 2's but Tire Rack found that they got noticeably (about 11%) shorter range than the stock tires: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=298
Maybe that's just par for the course for winter tires.
Are those winter tires or a sort of enhanced all season tire? Is the range meant in fuel efficiency terms or tire tread life terms? Winter tires tend to get used in the winter, so that could explain some of the range reduction if it's a fuel efficiency thing.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Cross Climate2s are an all season tire with a severe snow rating. I've been surprised that I haven't taken a noticeable FE hit with these: still getting 48-52 MPG, winter and summer. Had them for about 25K miles now, and they also seem to be wearing well. I'd buy them again for my GSW but their cost has also increased significantly.

gmenounos

Vendor
TDI
Are those winter tires or a sort of enhanced all season tire? Is the range meant in fuel efficiency terms or tire tread life terms? Winter tires tend to get used in the winter, so that could explain some of the range reduction if it's a fuel efficiency thing.
I was talking about the Cross Climate 2's having worse fuel efficiency than the stock EV tires. They're probably a bit louder too, since the stock tires have some foam inside to reduce road noise. But they should have quite a bit longer tread life than the stock tires and a lot better traction in snow.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
One thing I'm surprised about them on my MKIV is that they seem to be quiet. But as you well know, the general noise level of a MKIV TDI is high enough that any tire might seem quiet. ;)

Daemon64

Veteran Member
TDI
2022 Polestar 2 BEV - Current, 2021 Q5 55e PHEV - Retired, 2015 Q5 3.0 TDI - Retired, 2013 Golf TDI - Retired
I was talking about the Cross Climate 2's having worse fuel efficiency than the stock EV tires. They're probably a bit louder too, since the stock tires have some foam inside to reduce road noise. But they should have quite a bit longer tread life than the stock tires and a lot better traction in snow.
I mean i cannot speak to your vehicle / stock tire setup. But for the michelin primacy 4 summer tires that came on my car... the cross climates are not louder at all, and i have the same if not better efficiency with the cross climate 2

245/45/19
Primacy 4

Cross Climate 2

Primacy will be the first number in all these comparisons

Tread Depth - 8.8/32 vs 10/32
Weight: 26lbs vs 27lbs
Sec Wid: 9.6" vs 9.5"
Tred Wid: 8.2" vs 8.1"
ov Diam: 27.7" vs 27.6"
Rev / Mi: Both 751

So the cross climate is a very slightly smaller width than my stock tires, and only 1lb heavier likely just due to the extra starting tread. The primacy are supposedly tuned for noise, but like literally no difference for me between the 2 ( I got a hearing test a few years ago due to a motor cycle causing ringing in my right ear for like 2 weeks. My hearing is extremely above average. I usually can hear ball joints, wheel hub bearings, and etc... before the mechanic can hear them... FWIW ). So my guess is that even though they 1 lbs heavier, the slightly narrow contact patch makes up for some of it, thus such a small difference almost undetectable in range.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yeah, the Tire Rack estimated 11% hit to range with an all season tire (cross climate) of the same nominal size as stock sounds very suspect. That's a huge hit- I just don't see it as likely. Maybe a few percent at most.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ID 2all is a dumb name. They should just call it a Golf or eGolf. Looks good, better than the ID3 by far. I'll be quite surprised if it actually sells for $25k *edit- 25k euros* by the time it makes it to market in several (or more) years.

Last edited:

oilhammer

TDI
That is just as hideous as the rest of them. Maybe slightly less, as eyesight gets adjusted for cost I think. But still... of course, we HAD the eGolf, they collected dust on dealer lots and the last of them got blown out for nearly 50% their MSRP, so...

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I'm grateful it's a car not an SUV or CUV. I'm sure it's intended to compete with the Honda e, which we also won't get. Approx 280 mile range, which is a big step up from the e-Golf. The interior isn't to my taste, as I'm sure it'll look and operate like crap in 10 years. But still, that and a diesel for road trips would be a great 2 car combo.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I think it could make it to our shores. With 226 hp it's in the hot hatch segment. VW still imports the GTI into the US. They'll be in high demand in Europe, no doubt. That will probably soak up the first few years of production.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Well the didn't bring the ID.3 over, so I'm not optimistic. I also wonder if that platform meets US safety regulations.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'm sure the ID3 would pass any crash test requirements. It might need different tail lights or something minor like that. If a smart car or IQ can pass, the ID3 shouldn't have a problem passing.

oilhammer

TDI
Don't be so sure, there are bunches of vehicles sold around the world that cannot pass our standards. Toyota had to quit selling the HiLux here and come up with the "North American" Taco (based loosely on the Prado) instead.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I'm sure the ID3 would pass any crash test requirements. It might need different tail lights or something minor like that. If a smart car or IQ can pass, the ID3 shouldn't have a problem passing.
I meant I wonder if the MEB Entry platform used for the ID.2all meets US safety regs.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I meant I wonder if the MEB Entry platform used for the ID.2all meets US safety regs.
I don't think it would have any problem passing. VW intends for it to be global vehicle. EVs tend to outperform ICEVs in crash testing due to the structural rigidity of the passenger compartment and lower center of mass. The Chinese market is obviously full of both cheap EVs and ICEVs that are barely safer than a motorcycle in an accident.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Looks like the tax credits for American made EVs are having the desired effect. BEV sales were booming in January despite declining sales in the overall auto market.

gmenounos

Vendor
TDI
2000 miles on the odometer and all good so far. Mostly local driving with a few 150-mile trips to NH and a 450-mile trip to Utica, NY. Longer road trip to Virginia still on track for next month. Lifetime "fuel economy": 283 watt-hours/mile.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 miles on the odometer and all good so far. Mostly local driving with a few 150-mile trips to NH and a 450-mile trip to Utica, NY. Longer road trip to Virginia still on track for next month. Lifetime "fuel economy": 283 watt-hours/mile.
119 MPGe, not too shabby! Especially for cold weather operation. Expect that number to rise along with ambient temps.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
With the clarification given to the IRA EV requirements, people have until April 18 to take delivery of a Model 3 standard range w the LFP battery and receive the full $7500 tax credit. This is due to the battery being made in China. After April 18, it will only qualify for a $3750 credit. I'm not sure if there are other models from other manufacturers similarly affected. For instance, I'm pretty sure the Bolt battery is made in Korea. Japan was recently added to the free trade partner list for battery manufacture, but I don't know about S. Korea.