real world EVs review

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I pay property tax on my vehicle and house to support schools despite not having any children.
Me, too. Last child left the school system in 2008. But my father-in-law maintained that if a community has high quality schools then residential property values are higher. That's certainly true in this area. So I still benefit.

gearheadgrrrl

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Golf DSG, '13 JSW DSG surrendered to VW, '03 Golf 2 door manual
The charging network is about the only thing TSLA has really done right- Elon would have been smarter to license their EV technology to companies that actually know how to build cars.

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta, 2003 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon
I think you guys have the situation in hand.
Not really, we have less than 5% of the charging infrastructure that would be required to support the government's 10 year goal for EV market share and no clear plan to even partially address the shortfall.

I applied for a grant to install solar at my place and was rejected because the local grid could not support inputs, so it's hardly surprising there are no chargers around here.

gulfcoastguy

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI sold, Mazda 3 purchased
The charging network is about the only thing TSLA has really done right- Elon would have been smarter to license their EV technology to companies that actually know how to build cars.
No that would be admitting that their build quality is cr@ppy. A great computer wrapped in a bargain bin everything else.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
It might also have been a good idea to not lay off his entire Supercharger team.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
It might also have been a good idea to not lay off his entire Supercharger team.
That was a dumb move for sure. Musk is becoming more of a petulant enfant terrible with every passing month. That said, most of the "customer" dissatisfaction with Tesla's cars comes from those who don't own them.

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
AAA finds interest in EVs declining as Americans turn their attention to hybrids

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
VW ID.2 to arrive sooner than expected

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Too many people are suckers for whatever internet propaganda gets spewed from their preferred echo chambers.

braddies

Veteran Member
TDI
03 golf ALH
From the article:
"California ISO pulled out every trick in the book with several demand response events including the aforementioned back-up generators, texting out an emergency flex alerts, and remotely powering down end users who volunteered to have devices and facilities powered down during peak demand periods."
It's a nice option to be able to charge from a generator

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
Too many people are suckers for whatever internet propaganda gets spewed from their preferred echo chambers.
Now THAT is just too funny considering the source. Sorry, I just couldn’t help it with all the predicting, planning, future, transitioning, expected, could, potential, promises, and a hundred other buzz words about what the EV market is going to do (but hasn’t done yet), all as propaganda to get people to buy into the EV bandwagon.

I needed a good laugh today, thanks.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Now THAT is just too funny considering the source. Sorry, I just couldn’t help it with all the predicting, planning, future, transitioning, expected, could, potential, promises, and a hundred other buzz words about what the EV market is going to do (but hasn’t done yet), all as propaganda to get people to buy into the EV bandwagon.

I needed a good laugh today, thanks.
Well, laughter is the best medicine when you're feeling depressed. Glad I could help!

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
This is why I don't click on links in treads unless it's from a known source that I respect. And that's not often.

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
That photo is from at least two years ago, and whether it was staged or not, it wasn't necessary. California allowed charging at night, so just setting the charging to happen during the evening would have solved the problem and been much more efficient.

Also, California is repairing the grid problems with storage batteries to back up peak usage times.

braddies

Veteran Member
TDI
03 golf ALH

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
There are countless photos (and videos) of EVs being charged by some internal combustion engine driven generator. There are even EV charging stations that have big stationary generators in place. What stock you take in it I guess depends on what glasses you have one. Some people refuse to believe Telsa dealers exist, even after pictures were provided. So I guess if you have your glasses on that tell you everything you disagree with is "staged" or "faked" then that's all you'll ever see.

The engine driven generator thing is seemingly far more widespread in Europe, where they've taken a much longer drink of the EV Koolaid. The fact that there are oodles of companies that do nothing but come rescue stranded EVs (and I would agree that would largely be the "fault" of the operator, not the vehicle itself) tends to lend some reasoning that it does happen, and it is indeed a thing.

But I suppose my car could be left stranded with some other thing besides my dumb ass running it out of fuel (although the mighty ALH doesn't seem prone to breakdowns much).

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
My Wagon has broken twice in 22 years and 490K miles. Once was a bad lift pump relay (if I'd not made the mod the car would have been fine), and the other was a broken original axle at 385K miles. ALHs just go and go.

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Goes with the report a while back of the Aussies using diesel generators for their super chargers in the desert. No infrastructure to tie into. Oops, didn't see El Dobro's post.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
There are countless photos (and videos) of EVs being charged by some internal combustion engine driven generator. There are even EV charging stations that have big stationary generators in place. What stock you take in it I guess depends on what glasses you have one. Some people refuse to believe Telsa dealers exist, even after pictures were provided. So I guess if you have your glasses on that tell you everything you disagree with is "staged" or "faked" then that's all you'll ever see.

The engine driven generator thing is seemingly far more widespread in Europe, where they've taken a much longer drink of the EV Koolaid. The fact that there are oodles of companies that do nothing but come rescue stranded EVs (and I would agree that would largely be the "fault" of the operator, not the vehicle itself) tends to lend some reasoning that it does happen, and it is indeed a thing.

But I suppose my car could be left stranded with some other thing besides my dumb ass running it out of fuel (although the mighty ALH doesn't seem prone to breakdowns much).
The last summer my sister and I both lived at home, I rescued her about every other week when she ran out of gas. I could never understand how she didn't take the time to fill up but then again, she was always running about 10 minutes behind for everything. Fast forward ~50 years and she's still that way but at least she's keeping her tank filled.

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
https://www.vwidtalk.com/posts/287097/

"An interesting study from McKinsey.

Some of my takeaways, assuming McKinsey projections are accurate but they seem to be realistic;

- According to their findings, almost half (46%) of US EV drivers intend to move back to an ICE. (My estimation is that most are Tesla drivers and the charging experience is still not good enough.)

- Battery/range and charging improvements have failed to keep up with expectations.

- For 2024 -2026 EV growth is expected to grow at 1-2% ( basically growing with population which means to me, little to no market penetration improvement. This might indicate state of flux where there are new users being balanced out by those leaving EVs?)

Some info about the interest in autonomous driving ( which has nothing to do with EVs, actually)

https://executivedigest.sapo.pt/wp-content/uploads/2024/06/Mobility-Consumer-Pulse-2024_Overview.pdf "

J_dude

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 1.9l “Jedi”
You do realize there are echo chambers for people on either end of the scale right? Your comment could be applied to anyone 😂
Netflix documentary The Social Dilemma explains it for you if you haven't figured it out yet.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I think the Rivian thing makes sense. VAG isn't getting anywhere fast with their EV endeavors, and Rivian is hemorrhaging money pretty bad. VAG has lots of money, and what better way to get a fast track to doing something you suck at than just buying a company that perhaps sucks less? It may get the whole Scout thing going again, too, although I still think that's going to go over as well as Harley-Davidson's electric motorcycles have. But we'll see. Marketing is a funny thing.

I still think part of the ID.4's failure is its so damn ugly and has such awful ergonomics... something that other VAG products just don't suffer with. Heck, even the Chinese-designed Taos looks better. Why so many of these companies seem to think making an EV off-the-chart intolerably ugly is beyond me.