real world EVs review

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I was over in the park, across the street, and someone had a Cybertruck parked there. I took a few photos and posted them in my media.
Cool. It's a goofy looking vehicle for sure. I wonder if the owners ever get tired of the attention they draw. Sometimes it's nice to be incognito. Jealous of the green grass there, but I'm going to enjoy the eclipse up here tomorrow!

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)

"The Livesey family waited more than four hours to charge their Tesla and the last ticket they handed out before leaving was No. 189, and they saw more vehicles pulling up to the stations."

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I'm always game to point out disadvantages of EVs and the charging network, but in this case I have to think that people should have done a little planning and not expected available chargers right after an event that attracted a big crowd from many miles away.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Stuff happens. We were headed up about 80 miles N, NW to get into the eclipse totality zone Mon. when my serpentine belt broke about 25 miles in. Luckily about a tenth of a mile from an O'Reillys that had the belt in stock. Pretty easy job on the 2.5 I5, but enough to derail the trip. Just as well really, traffic was jammed up along the route we were going to take for hours following the eclipse. Got a good look from the O'Reilly parking lot.

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
I guess the word hasn't gotten out in NJ that EV's are out and hybrids are in. I'm seeing more Lucids and Rivians on the roads, Mach-Es and Lightnings are popping out and now I'm seeing two and three Teslas in driveways. A guy right around the corner from me has a Lyriq.

Last edited:

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
Three more Teslas were added to the neighborhood. With one of them, the owner charges it on the street by mounting the charging cable on a mailbox post.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Our local Tesla store (or whatever it is) has a very, very large number of new vehicles parked. If I go online and "order" one I'm told I can have just about any version I want right now.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Yeah, the non-existing dealers here are also loaded... the fugly cybertrucks, too (man they are MUCH worse in person...and smaller than I thought). The overflow lot is now pretty much full, and that location is set to be demolished and redeveloped starting later this year (a mall). So not sure where they are going to stack all these things. Because the actual dealers' lots are not very big. And where they are, they are surrounded with no room to grow.

The dealer auction lots are also JAMMED full of them. Lots of crashed ones. I thought the harvesting of parts to put in other cars was going to be a big thing, guess not. Or the parts are damaged beyond use.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I've read that there are a lot of very low mileage Teslas out there that are totaled. Many more than ICE vehicles. Not sure why people seem to hit things with their new car. Maybe it's a symptom of adjusting to the self-driving feature.

oilhammer

TDI
I think that is a lot of it... add in that a lot of these fancy cars total easily due to the cost of parts, then add in Tesla's strange parts availability policy. Easy to see why so many mildly crashed Teslas sit gathering dust on the insurance pool area of Manheim.

And the rich people + nannyware + cell phones + the general "aloofness"... we just had one of our customer's daughter crash her new Volvo... AGAIN. Blew both front tires out on something...

1714477652207.jpeg

oilhammer

TDI
"I put my baby in a new Volvo because I want her "safe" "... yet she keeps crashing into things. I think the rest of the people sharing the road are less safe with her behind the wheel of this two-ton turbocharged Swedish juggernaut.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I saw one in my small town yesterday. Looked different in person than pictures. Especially with the lights on at dusk. I will have to check one out up close one of these days.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Model 3 oncoming headlights are especially annoying. My colleague who owns one says they also don't light the road very well.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The new Fiat 500e is now in the US with a 75% increase in battery capacity vs. the old model. 42 kWh vs. 24 kWh. On a dedicated EV architecture this time, and tipping the scales at under 3000 lbs. Pretty good for an EV. Looks like a great city car. Too bad it isn't eligible for the federal rebate. Leasing might be a good option.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Just watched that review. The car is definitely cute, and it appeals to me because I think more EVs should be built as short distance cars with less range and smaller engines. But you could buy a base Model 3 for less after the rebate, which would make buying the Fiat a bold choice. And I can only imagine how fast it will lose value.

oilhammer

TDI
It would need to be closer to $15k for me. That price tag is ridiculous for a car that will likely be a scrap heap in a few years.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yeah, the sticker price is too high. Especially without a $7500 rebate.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The Tesla executive in charge of charging didn't fire enough people to satisfy Elon, so he fired nearly the entire team in a fit of pique. That's just typical Elon. Tesla will hire new people. The Superchargers still make up 65% of fast charging plugs in the US. Life goes on.