Real-World comparison test: Optilube

DubFamily

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328D xDrive
Greetings!

If this seems too long to read, skip to the end. I provided cliff notes :D

So after the Optilube Group Buy kicked off and Optilube came out with its new Summer+ formula; I started discussing the differences in their (Optilube's) products with Brian over at dieselfuellube.com. Over several weeks we discussed various aspects of all these products, what may or may not work better and why, etc. and we both came to the agreement that it would be really nice to do some real-world testing of each and see which works "best" for our TDIs.

Because of this, and my commute (I'll discuss that more in a minute), I decided to go ahead and kick off a simple real-world test of these products. I normally run Optilube XPD in every tank of diesel for my car, and was ordering a new gallon of XPD from the group buy, so I asked Brian if I could combine shipping and throw in a quart of Summer and a quart of Summer+ to do some testing of each. Brian hooked me up and sent all 3. My next post will detail my testing methods for anyone interested; obviously there are too many variables in "real-world" for me to account for every one of them, but I will do my best to level the field on each product.

The reason I decided to do this is mainly because my commute allows for relatively fast results reporting, and a pretty reliable background on my fuelly for comparisons. My commute is approximately 62 miles each way, or 125 miles round trip daily. My commute takes me from back roads and farm land to rural highways and interstates, through small towns, large towns, and finally Washington DC; so basically I hit every type of traffic situation you can think of in any given day. It makes for a nice test bed overall :D As for my fuelly; if you take a look you'll see I have 67 fill ups currently in just under 11 months of ownership, and I've tracked every tank from the first dealership fill. Other than a couple unusual outliers, I am pretty reliably even at ~41mpg+/- so it makes for a reasonably accurate starting point.

In my next post I'll detail my testing procedures, and you all can feel free to constructively criticize them if you see something I can improve on... My 3rd post will be reserved for results.

Honestly I am doing this testing mainly for me as I want to know what product will be best to use in the long run for my needs; but I hope it provides some valuable information for others as well if they are trying to make the same decisions I am. I decided when I bought my car that I would be using Optilube. After reading the reports, the discussions, the arguments, etc. it seemed to me to be the best solution/price-point for what I want to do. Others may want to use a different product, or no product; and that's cool too, but the point of this is simply to get a better feel for each of the three "3 season" products Optilube sells and see if one stands out as better. ;)

TL/DR Cliff Notes:
  • Optilube has a new product, so I decided to do a comparison test of it and their others.
  • I ordered a quart each of Summer and Summer+ along with my normal XPD.
  • I have a long commute that his lots of various traffic conditions so it is a nice test bed for product comparison.
  • See below posts for Testing methods and results.

Last edited:

DubFamily

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328D xDrive
Testing Methodology.

So I have 3 products to test now:
  • Optilube XPD
  • Optilube Summer
  • Optilube Summer Plus
  • Un-additized Diesel (control group)
And in order to try and minimize issues or questions I wanted to write out what my plans are for testing. This is to be real-world, everyday driving, and as such all variables will not be in my control. As I said above, testing anything in "real world" situations means that variables are unpredictable and may change quickly. I can't control that part, all I can do is try to mitigate it through repetition.

I plan to test each product through 2 full tanks of diesel; and then repeat that again, each product through 2 more tanks. I decided to do this to help minimize the effects of weather. As we are in mid-spring and conditions are fluctuating quickly, this will allow me to first test each product in these conditions. by the time the first 8 Tanks of diesel are done and I am heading into the second round, conditions should have stabilized some into early summer weather, so again each product will be tested in the warmer conditions.

EDIT 1: Per Lightflyer, I'll be adding un-additized diesel as a control group. I'll run these two tanks between the summer+ and the XPD, as this will serve the secondary purpose of eliminating any extra Cetane boost any leftover Summer+ might add to the XPD. it would be minimal regardless, but this way it will be none ;).

Each tank of fuel will be filled to the top, literally. I top off with diesel until it is at the lip and receding very slowly, so I can guarantee relative accuracy in fill-ups. Each tank will then be run as close to empty as is feasible. I only use Shell diesel, and always from the same station, thereby mostly eliminating another variable. I cannot account for fuel quality variations from Shell's tank refueling, but using only diesel from one station at least minimizes the chance of fuel quality differences between tanks.

Other variables I can control will be maintained; tire pressure I check weekly and keep at 40PSI cold. I don't normally use AC, I prefer fresh air and usually drive with my sunroof open from 0 degrees up to about 90. However, I started off the first tank of this testing with the AC on due to my son's allergies, so I'll continue to keep the car closed up and AC on for the rest of the testing to ensure the same draw. My commute is about 60% highway adn 40% city/traffic commuting; so it's a pretty solid test of realistic numbers.

Mix Ratios:
Of course the dosage rates of these products vary quite a bit, that's one of the reasons many wish to know which works "best" as money can quickly become a factor. In order to maintain my own sanity and keep dosing relatively easy, I will be using the following dosage rates for each product:

Optilube Summer:
Mix Ratio: 1/2 ounce per 10 gallons of diesel.
As our tank is 14.5 gallons, I'll be dosing at slightly higher with 1 ounce per tank of diesel.

Optilube Summer+:
Mix Ratio: 1/2 ounce per 4 gallons of diesel.
As our tank is 14.5 gallons, I'll be dosing at slightly higher with 2 ounces per tank of diesel.

Optilube XPD:
Mix Ratio: 1 ounce per 4 gallons of diesel.
Again, our tank does not line up in an exact fit (3.63 ounces/tank) I'll be using 4 ounces of XPD per tank of diesel.

While some people may truly make the effort to use "exact" mix ratios; I would expect most people to be more like me and willing to round to the nearest whole number for ease of dosing. If not, feel free to let me know ;)

Finally, as many people are interested in the effects of doubling the ratios (as the Spicer test was at double dose on XPD) I will finish off my testing with 2 more tanks of each product at double the dose. 2 ounces of Summer, 4 ounces of Summer+, and 8 ounces of XPD for 2 tanks each.

I think I've included all the important bits, if something is glaringly missing by all means please let me know and I'll try to adjust. All of the results of this will be posted below as they are completed so people may discuss, comment, berate, or analyze all they like as we go :D

Last edited:

DubFamily

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328D xDrive
Round 1:
  • Optilube Summer Tank 1: (1oz added 4/24/13) 616.9 miles; 14.310 gallons added; 43.110 mpg
  • Optilube Summer Tank 2: (1oz added 4/29/13) 613.1 miles; 14.164 gallons added; 43.286 mpg
  • Optilube Summer+ Tank 1: (2oz added 5/03/13) 604.1 miles; 14.044 gallons added; 43.015 mpg
  • Optilube Summer+ Tank 2: (2oz added 5/09/13) 606.0 miles; 13.902 gallons added; 43.591 mpg
  • Un-additized Diesel Tank 1: (Pure D2 added 5/15/13) 573.7 miles; 13.806 gallons added; 41.554 mpg
    [*]Un-additized Diesel Tank (Outlier): (Pure D2 added 5/21/13) 605.2 miles; 13.638 gallons added; 44.361 mpg
  • Un-additized Diesel Tank 2: (Pure D2 added 5/24/13) 567.2 miles; 13.990 gallons added; 40.543 mpg
  • Optilube XPD Tank 1: (4oz added 5/30/13) 621.9 miles; 13.918 gallons added; 44.683 mpg
  • Optilube XPD Tank 2: (4oz added 6/05/13) 609.7 miles; 13.723 gallons added; 44.429 mpg

Round 2:
  • Optilube Summer Tank 3: (1oz added 7/10/13) 656.1 miles; 14.726 gallons added; 44.554 mpg
  • Optilube Summer Tank 4: (1oz added 7/15/13) 618.3 miles; 14.264 gallons added; 43.347 mpg
  • Optilube Summer Tank 5: (1oz added 7/19/13) 603.0 miles; 13.516 gallons added; 44.614 mpg
  • Optilube Summer+ Tank 3: (2oz added 7/26/13) 650.0 miles; 14.677 gallons added; 44.287 mpg
  • Optilube Summer+ Tank 4: (2oz added 8/02/13) 643.8 miles; 14.257 gallons added; 45.157 mpg
  • Optilube Summer+ Tank 5: (2oz added 8/09/13) 600.2 miles; 12.095 gallons added; 49.624 mpg
  • Un-additized Diesel Tank 3: (Pure D2 added 8/15/13) 524.0 miles; 13.792 gallons added; 37.993 mpg
  • Un-additized Diesel Tank 4: (Pure D2 added 8/27/13) 569.5 miles; 13.796 gallons added; 41.280 mpg
  • Un-additized Diesel Tank 5: (Pure D2 added 9/03/13) 586.6 miles; 14.307 gallons added; 41.001 mpg
  • Optilube XPD Tank 3: (4oz added 9/08/13) 609.2 miles; 14.173 gallons added; 42.983 mpg
  • Optilube XPD Tank 4: (4oz added 9/13/13) 651.4 miles; 14.251 gallons added; 45.709 mpg
  • Optilube XPD Tank 5: (4oz added 9/18/13) 679.4 miles; 14.241 gallons added; 47.707 mpg

Round 3 (Double Dose):
  • Optilube Summer Tank 1: (2oz added 9/23/13) 628.3 miles; 14.216 gallons added; 44.197 mpg
  • Optilube Summer Tank 2: (2oz added 9/30/13) 638.0 miles; 14.438 gallons added; 44.189 mpg
  • Optilube Summer+ Tank 1: (4oz added 10/05/13) 618.9 miles; 13.695 gallons added; 45.192 mpg
  • Optilube Summer+ Tank 2: (4oz added 10/11/13) 605.8 miles; 13.657 gallons added; 44.358 mpg
  • Optilube XPD Tank 1: (8oz added 10/17/13) 624.7 miles; 14.253 gallons added; 43.829 mpg
  • Optilube XPD Tank 2: (8oz added 10/24/13) 579.5.7 miles; 14.176 gallons added; 40.879 mpg

Last edited:

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Subscribed. I await your results just like I await Opti-Lube's posting of the MSDS for the new Summer+. Thanks for taking n this project.

Have Fun!

Don

TooSlick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Audi 100S
Do you run the auto climate control all the time with the AC on? A variable like that could mask any fuel additive effects. Keeping cold tire pressure constant as the ambient temps increase is another variable you need to account for....

DubFamily

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328D xDrive
Thanks, good points both.

I do not normally use AC, but I've had it on for most of the last tank due to my son's allergies; so I'll just keep it as a constant through the rest of this. Unfortunate but certainly doable to keep the engine draw the same. However, I do not have auto climate control; just simple AC/heat, so the auto functions won't be an issue.

tire pressure is 40psi and I check them every week ;)

Last edited:

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Sounds good. You seem to be eliminating all the obvious variables from your end. Fueling at the same station will eliminate almost (!) all of the fuel variables.
Enjoy the experiment.

ISurvivedNMU

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL
Lets not turn this into some crazy test of everything. I got my hand slapped for giving more than a yes or no answer in a "Do you use an additive" poll.

I like the goal of finding out what Optilube additive give the best performance in the spring/summer/fall and I think the way Jason has it laid out, we may find out.

Ford_6L_E350

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GTI - sold the 13 TDI
Jason, I want to thank you for even thinking of doing this well thought out test. Your efforts are much appreciated.

Mike

ISurvivedNMU

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL
when you do your mpg calculations, you do account for additive, right? (probably yes, but not clear)
I think it would be insignificant as for each ounce he adds its only 0.0078 gallons. So if he added 4 ounces, it would add 0.0312 gallons. while you can get fairly accurate when filling these cars when filling to the filler neck, you cannot get within 0.03 gallons each time.

No More Buffalo

Veteran Member
TDI
Current: 2015 Golf SEL 6m Sold: 2012 Golf 2dr DSG
Thanks, good points both.

I do not normally use AC, but I've had it on for most of the last tank due to my son's allergies; so I'll just keep it as a constant through the rest of this. Unfortunate but certainly doable to keep the engine draw the same. However, I do not have auto climate control; just simple AC/heat, so the auto functions won't be an issue.

tire pressure is 40psi and I check them every week ;)
Not really a good control re: A/C. Even though our cars don't have climate control, it's still a variable compressor. With identical A/C settings, it's going to be drawing a lot more power if it's 90F, than if it's 75.

South Coast Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI wagon
What is the point of this test? I thought drivers used optilube for increased lubricity to avoid hpfp failure? Anyway, the testing methodology should include a placebo (fake optilube) and many more drivers in all condition of roads, car mileage and drivers.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
^^^ a little slack, please? This is ONE GUY doing his own test. This isn't some corporate endeavor. Take from it what you will.

DubFamily

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328D xDrive
To everyone offering Thanks and encouragement; I really appreciate it. I simply decided I want to know what, if any, each product will provide as far as economy goes, so I'll do my best to determine that objectively. I know this is not perfect, but it is what I can do on my own without support or backing. Besides, what in life is truly perfect? :p

when you do your mpg calculations, you do account for additive, right? (probably yes, but not clear)
I don't; however, as the calculations are purely mathematics that could easily be adjusted for anyone interested in it. I can post details if someone would like to view that much info. ;)

Not really a good control re: A/C. Even though our cars don't have climate control, it's still a variable compressor. With identical A/C settings, it's going to be drawing a lot more power if it's 90F, than if it's 75.
True, but at the same time not using AC creates just as many variables as it removes. Windows up or down, sunroof open or closed, fan on speed 1 or 3, etc. I believe we all understand well enough that I cannot drive to and from work every day for the next ~3-4 months with all windows closed and no fan/ac on; I would either freeze or melt :D

Conditions change in real-world driving, so all we can do is account for the majority of them as well as possible. ;)

Also: If anyone is interested in a summary/description of the 3 (or 4, I have winter too) products I'd be happy to do a comparison and post some pictures. I have the stuff, may as well take advantage of that.

Last edited:

WutGas?

Veteran Member
TDI
The Last Real Jetta Sedan
You are right; I am being too harsh; just want to avoid having drivers draw inappropriate conclusions from one user.
If someone reads this thread and can't figure out that this is just a test by one person, and not scientific fact, that's their problem. The OP is pretty straight forward. It doesn't need clarification.

nikhsub1

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf R
If someone reads this thread and can't figure out that this is just a test by one person, and not scientific fact, that's their problem. The OP is pretty straight forward. It doesn't need clarification.
Exactly... I am the type of guy who will run silly tests (not saying this one is!) just so I can see the outcome with my own eyes. Often times the obvious is overlooked because we take it for granted. My initial prediction is that every test will be within an acceptable margin of error, meaning there will be no real discernable difference between the different formulas. But hey, it is more fun when your prediction is proven wrong. I applaud the OP - even a test of this nature takes time and effort to try to make all things equal. Of course if something in the test come out totally unexpected, this is where the fun begins as more and more testing becomes necessary.

Anyhow, I look forward to the results!

ISurvivedNMU

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL
Can I ask for one small favor Dub? Would you please post and let us know when you update post 3? or copy and paste post 3 into a new post. When I look at the thread, I go to the first unread post, so I would not look back at post 3 to ever know you posted info.

I hope that makes sense?

WutGas?

Veteran Member
TDI
The Last Real Jetta Sedan
Can I ask for one small favor Dub? Would you please post and let us know when you update post 3? or copy and paste post 3 into a new post. When I look at the thread, I go to the first unread post, so I would not look back at post 3 to ever know you posted info.

I hope that makes sense?
Second that motion.

jgeorge

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 audi a3 tdi
Would running base fuel in between each formula make things a little more accurate as the engine learns one formula and a second formula is added immediately afterwards the relearn may not be much if any difference as a little of the previous formula will be present. Not to mention the time-distance the engine takes to relearn each formula?

DubFamily

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328D xDrive

I hope that makes sense?
Second that motion.
Absolutely.

RacerTodd

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI
Hate to be a killjoy, but I don't see where this test will show any useful data.

There are too many variables involved to make the data have any scientific validity.

Subtle changes in temperature and humidity will affect how fast the engine warms up. Engine efficiency will be lower when the engine isn't fully warmed up.
Temperature changes affect how well the intercooler cools the intake air which will affect engine efficiency. The ECU limits fuel when the intake temp gets too high, for example.
Rain and the accompanying high humidity will have an effect.
You won't have the exact same traffic conditions every day. Every day will be a different combination of time spent at lights, time spent at various speeds, etc.
A headwind or tailwind will have an effect, especially at freeway speeds.
Oil changes or air filter changes during the test may change the engine's efficiency.
The tires will wear over the test schedule, with subtle changes in rolling resistance.
Heck, even diesel fuel may have subtle variations in the amount of energy per gallon in each load delivered to the station.

And, it's not a blind test. You know which additives are in the tank. Though you may be trying to drive the same every day, you can be unconsciously changing your driving style based on which additive you are running. Or maybe some days you're really stressed out and driving harder and other days you're relaxed and easier on the throttle.

The test could be made somewhat blind by having someone else prepare identical bottles of additive that are just numbered 1,2,3,4... with the contents of each bottle revealed after the test is complete. That would eliminate any unconscious bias on the part of the driver.

With two tanks per product, you'll never be able to see a pattern in the data. Look at your Fuelly chart. The numbers go up and down on every tank. The last 8 or tanks shows a high of 47, lows of 40 and 39.5, etc. Almost no consecutive tanks are within 1 MPG of each other.

Now, I know this'll fall mostly on deaf ears as additive choice tends to be a religion with many drivers. Most of us have some additive that we're "sure" is the best but with little real proof.

Practically speaking, a proper scientific test would need to be done with the car on a dyno (to provide repeatable engine loading), with the test cell providing air at a constant temperature and humidity. That would costs thousands, of course. That is why the EPA mileage tests are conducted in controlled conditions and not by running cars outside on a test track.