Re-gen problems!!! Please help

EdwinTDi

TDI
2011 Jetta w/Nav Platinum Gray 6MT
The issue that I am having since the last cold spell here in ATL..... Ive noticed that while Im driving and the car goes into to regen, the engine will begin to skip (while driving)... It may skip so much that the glowplug light will begin to flash and the car will no longer go into over drive...

I took it to the dealer last week and they said I that the speed sensor in the engine malfunctioned....I told them to fix it.... I dont have warranty anymore since my car has 66K. As I was driving from church this morning... same issue came up. Im going to call the dealer tomorrow... but anybody may know what might be the issue?

THanks

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Ask them what the diagnostic trouble codes are (specific codes including the number and the description). That will help us help you. :)

vtbigdog

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI DSG
Go to AutoZone or facsimile thereof...they can read the codes for you. My dealer charges $100 to read the codes.

pdt165

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta 6 speed (Bought Back)
Well of course they can... somewhat. All code readers should be able to access all the government required OBDII codes. Mostly engine and emissions related.

Correct, they cant access the computer VCDS system. But they can read error codes.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
They can't access any mfg proprietary items but all of them can and do read all the government required stuff. Many mfg are this way not just VW. There are lots of other things buried in there that take special tools to get into.

TDIx2

Veteran Member
Saginaw Mi ~ looking out for deer and dangerous pe
TDI
2014 Jetta
They can't access any mfg proprietary items but all of them can and do read all the government required stuff. Many mfg are this way not just VW. There are lots of other things buried in there that take special tools to get into.
Check engine light came on my eos last summer so took it to those auto parts store. those goofs said my timing chain had skipped a tooth per the code reader. VW computer said it was low pressure fuel sensor. Guess who had it right. Lol some things your better off at a dealer then auto parts store.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
What you want is the actual code to look it up yourself at sites like this or others. Not advice or opinions from the sales clerk. Sometimes they know something, most times not. Anything that sets off the CEL should show up with any scanner I would imagine. I have used VCDS since 2005 and find it very useful and worth while. I also have some generic scanners for other cars and the Torque app works as well.

TheFonz

TDI
2012 VW Jetta TDI
The one time that I had the flashing glow plug light and shaking, the issue was something to do with the emissions system, which was covered under the extended emissions fix.

gmfain

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI S
The one time that I had the flashing glow plug light and shaking, the issue was something to do with the emissions system, which was covered under the extended emissions fix.
That's great. Did they say what the problem was? Any parts changed on work order?

TheFonz

TDI
2012 VW Jetta TDI
That's great. Did they say what the problem was? Any parts changed on work order?
Sorry for the late reply. It's been a very hectic time.

From my dealership invoice, it was an issue with the EGR valve / adjuster. It was replaced under warranty.