RE CODE A NEW kEY

VW Petrolero

Veteran Member
TDI
2018 Golf SW 1.8 TSI
I have a 2000 Jetta TDI & I want to re-code a new key(inmobilizer part) but according to Andy from Ross -Tech you need workshop code# importer # and the date that this code was produced.But according to my dealer that is their information that can not be released otherwise I can do the procedure like if they are doing it.
Is there a way to get this information other than the dealer?
Thanks for your replies.
Tony

fhryder

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS TDI (tornado red)
Hi:

Try another dealer.
I had negotiated to buy some parts from one, and as the deal was closing, I said by the way I need to recode a key, I have the vin, and the immo number can you generate an skc.
Sure he said and called over the tech who keyed my numbers in and printed it out, and gave it to me.
BTW he said this is only good for today, yes I said, but it's good for today forever, if you've got a Vag-com.

So wrap your request in something else to sweeten the pot with another dealer and try again.

BTW US dealers seem to be easier to get along with,
everything in Canada is a monopoly you know /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Frank

VW Petrolero

Veteran Member
TDI
2018 Golf SW 1.8 TSI
They gave me already the 7 digit SKC Number but that's about they'll give me not the wsc or the importer number or the date.
Any more help?
Thanks
Tony

weedeater

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Baltic Green
I'm pretty sure you don't need the WSC or importer number to do the recode if you have the SKC and the date the code was generated. Check on the RossTech site. I believe the NA importer number is '444'. You can use the default WSC.

Uwe

Vendor , w/Business number
You do indeed need the dealer's WSC and Importer Number in order to be able to decrypt the 7-digit code. Now the Importer Number is easy -- it's 999 for all Canadian dealers and 444 for all US dealers. The WSC is a little more difficult. Go look at some of their new cars. The "Dealer Number" should be somewhere on the window stickers on the cars. Or if you've ever had your car serviced there and they stamped your service history books, the stamp should have the dealer number.

In the US, dealer numbers look like this:
"412 345" in other words 6 digits starting with a 4. To get the WSC, drop the first digit (always a 4). In this example, the WSC is "12345".

I *think* Canadian dealer codes are only 4 digits, like:
"1234". Here, you have to put a 9 in front to get the WSC, which would be "91234".

-Uwe-

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
Uwe to the rescue once again. I myself just had this same issue yesterday, the dealer gave me the 7 digit SKC & the 999 import #, but would not release the WSC????? I've been going there for years for service, so I guess some dealers are more strict than others on this issue. I will take a midnight stroll through the dealer lot on my way home and look for their # on the window sticker.

Thanks again Uwe

VW Petrolero

Veteran Member
TDI
2018 Golf SW 1.8 TSI
Thanks Uwe for your help.So now all I have to try to get from my "friendly" dealer is the date when the code was produced ?
I hope they'll release that to me.Do I have to take the car to them or that will be in the dealer bank of data?
Sorry for bothering you.
Thanks Tony

Uwe

If you're in the Toronto area, I expect you'll find Georgetown VW more helpful with things like this than the average dealer. They also operate a performance / tuning shop and sell VAG-COM systems..:)

Again, to find a dealer's WSC, simply go there and look at the window stickers on some of their new cars. In the uppper right hand corner of the Window Sticker, you should find something like this:

Make sure the car you're looking at was originally sold and shipped to that particular dealer (sometimes cars will be traded between dealers). Then see my previous message in this thread and you're all set.

-Uwe-

Uwe

Something else I forgot, for those of you in the USA, if your dealer refuses to give you your 7-digit data: Grab and print a copy of this PDF:

http://www.epa.gov/fedrgstr/EPA-AIR/2003/June/Day-27/a14461.pdf

Read page 25 of this document (Federal Register page 38451) Paragraph (6) (middle column, about 1/3 of the way down). Take a highlighter to that section, then stick it under the dealership's nose.

Make sure you tell the dealership that you need the 7-digit data because you're trouble-shooting an emissions related problem and need to swap ECUs..:)

-Uwe-

VW Petrolero

Veteran Member
TDI
2018 Golf SW 1.8 TSI
Thanks Uwe again.You didn't answer my question regarding the date .Is it in their data bank?
By the way I am in Vancouver
Thanks
Tony

Uwe

Yes, you need the date to code was generated. It's a rolling code (changes every day!). I doubt they recorded the date they got the SKC for you. With their own equipment they can only use an SKC on the day they obtain it!

Don't you remember what date you got it?

-Uwe-

VW Petrolero

Veteran Member
TDI
2018 Golf SW 1.8 TSI
Are you talking about the 7 digits SKC they gave me?
That was last thursday.Or the date that the 11 digits code was generated? some time in 2000?
Thanks again for your help
Tony

Birdman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta 2001 Died by Truck one snowy day. Jetta 2003
ALL pre 2002 cars had a 4 digit scratch off code on the Key code slip that came in the cars owners manual. Add a 0 to the 4 digit scratch off and use that. No new to get a 7 digit if you have the 5 digit. The key code is a very slim black strip of plastic with a tail about 2 in. on it the whole thing is about 1/2 in by 3- 4 in. long. On side has the Vin on it.

Uwe

Yes, I'm talking about the date the 7-digit code was generated. That's the SKC.

I have no idea what 11-digit thing you're talking about. Immobilizer IDs are 14 digits and VINs are 17. There's no 11-digit number that's relevant to anything.

-Uwe-

weedeater

Top Post Dawg
TDI
If it was last Thursday, then last Thursdays date. And write it down. You may need it some time in the future.

VW Petrolero

Veteran Member
TDI
2018 Golf SW 1.8 TSI
Thanks Weed Eater & Uwe it might have been the 14 digits number .Sorry I said 11 .That's the the digit that I gave to the dealer & they gave me the 7 digits number.So I am supose to use this 7 digit number & not the 5 digits you are talking about weed eater? The one attached to the black strip that came with the valet key? And Uwe please be patient I am trying to get this clear for everybody that read this in the forum .
Thanks
Tony

weedeater

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1. you have a 2000.
2. you have the black plastic strip thing that came with the keys (valet) when you bought the car.

On that strip should be a scratch-off or rub-off section. Underneath will be the 4 digit code needed for your car. Note that this black plastic strip will have more than one set of numbers on it (mine has 3 sets), but only ONE under the rub-off section. With this number you do NOT NEED a 7-digit code from the dealer.

Now if you don't have it, threw it away, the cat ate it or whatever, then you go to the dealer and get a 7-digit code and the date this code gets generated.

Uwe's Vagcom software can handle either number format.

VW Petrolero

Veteran Member
TDI
2018 Golf SW 1.8 TSI
Thanks weed eater.I have the black strip with the 4 set of numbers .So with this 4 digits code I could use it .What about the wsc & importer number and date?.Will i'll still need that info or with the 4 digits you don't need that.
Thanks
Tony

weedeater

Top Post Dawg
TDI
i'm 90% sure you won't need the 'date' or other stuff. Uwe's s/w gives you two ways to log into the cluster. One uses the 4-digit code (or 5-digit which is the 4-digit with a leading '0'), or the 7-digit method. The 7-digit method is for those who don't have the 4-digit code or 'much newer cars'.

wolfsburg_de

Ross-Tech AssociateVendor , w/Business number
TDI
2012 Passat TDI 6MT

VW Petrolero

Veteran Member
TDI
2018 Golf SW 1.8 TSI
Thanks Andy for your reply.Finally I have all the information that I needed.So now to re-code the new key.
And also thanks to Uwe & Weed Eater for their help in claryfing this all procedure.
Bye
Tony

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
I was able to recode my new key this weekend. The dealer would not give me their WSC either and I could not find it on any window stickers in their lot. I did, however, manage to find an old receipt from when I had some service work done and the 4 digit # was on it. I added the 9 like Uwe said and bingo, no problems logging in.

Thanks again Uwe.

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
I got the 7 digit SKC from the dealer. They had no problem generating that for me, they just wouldn't give me the 4 digit WSC? So I found it myself on one of their bills /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

My car is a 2000 and yes I needed the date. If you don't know exaclty what date you got your code generated, guess and try a few near the date you thought it was generated. I don't think the Vag-com will lock you out if you put in wrong info like some password programs do. It just won't let you logon unless the info is accurate.