RE: Buyback and crash damage question...

Pollo

TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
RE: Buyback and crash damage question...

I have a question to forum members regarding crash damage cars and buyback. I have a 2014 Jetta TDI SportWagen and I just had a small crash and my drivers door is quite dented in. Door opens, glass is OK and no airbags were employed. Car functions properly and drives true. Do I get it fixed through my insurance or do I drive it as is before turning it in for buyback? I was planing on keeping it till May 2018 before turning it in for buy back but in this situation I will have to do it sooner.
Any help/advice is VERY much appreciated!

halbert

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 sportwagen
question 1: Have you collected on your insurance, and are you going to fix it?
question 2: Does your insurance want to total the car?

If your insurance is NOT going to total the car (which will throw you into title/claim limbo), then my recommendation is to take the insurance money and start a buyback claim. Buy a salvage door skin if you need it to make the door close, and run, don't walk, to the claims portal and do a buyback ASAP.

The issue is with damaged vehicles that have cloudy titles (either rebuilt vehicle titles or non-registerable salvage certificates), not damage per-se. A fender-bendered car is not banned from buyback.

Pollo

TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
I doubt the damage is extensive enough for a salvage tile. I guess $3-4K to get it fixed (at the most). I was not planing on fixing the damage and return it "as is" with the damaged door. I was not planing on getting any money form my insurance company.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Is the title clear, loan paid off? If so file for insurance and collect the money and then turn it in for the buy back as is. If there is a lien then this can't happen without clearing it first. With a lien they will require repairs be done. The buy back plus $3k would be nice!

Pollo

TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
Yes, title is clear...no loan...no lien...own it 100%. So basically get the insurance to give me $ for the damage (minus deductible) and turn it in for buyback - correct?

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Correct. If you own it, then get estimates and they have to pay up. You aren't required to do repairs if you own it free and clear. Then turn it in as is as soon as possible. Collect there as well. You should have no issues with either the insurance payout or the turn in as the title should still be clear and the car is still registered and driving, from what you have said.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
You haven't stated whether the collision was at-fault (you hit something) or not-at-fault (someone else hit you). Dunno about your area but in my area, which has outrageously high insurance rates, it is wise to do everything within reason to NOT file a claim against your collision policy.

One at-fault claim in my household would raise premiums approx 30% for the next 6 years on 6 vehicles! It is not worth filing a claim unless it is for $6,000 or more (plus the deductible, so $7,000 damage). Needless to say, all deductibles are maxed out and any vehicle worth less than $10k only has basic liability coverage.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I would change insurance companies if they did that to me (and have). This is assuming you haven't filed claims before. I never carry full insurance on any vehicle that doesn't have a loan on it (except my 1935 Ford antique). Needless to say my insurance rates here must not be anywhere near yours.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
An observation on switching insurance companies: they all communicate here in IL, and your rates will still be elevated if you switch. I doubt if the situation in Canada is comparable in any case.

Cars that can be driven under their own power may be turned in for buyback— with the caveats given above about salvage title problems, and beware taking off OEM parts from the car prior to turn-in.
But, yes, damaged cars may be turned in. In April, our son turned in his '13 Jetta which had been T-boned on the passenger side, ruining both doors. He owned the car outright and was able to collect the insurance settlement and turn the car in for the full buyback amount with no issues.

Pollo

TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
Here are some pictures of the damage...sorry for the small size....still learning how to post pictures....
I am going to get an estimate for the damage tomorrow so will try to report back.

Last edited:

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Looks like a non issue to me. Turn it in. Your decision to collect from insurance based on your particulars and desires and repercussions.

Pollo

TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
Went to see the insurance to get the damage/fix estimate. Tad under $2K...thought it was going to be more but so be it. Will be turning the car in with the damage "as is". Will collect the damage minus the deductible.
Thank you for all the answers. I will report what I get from VW...:eek:

Tony45

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI 2-door 6MT (BB - 4/18)
Went to see the insurance to get the damage/fix estimate. Tad under $2K...thought it was going to be more but so be it. Will be turning the car in with the damage "as is". Will collect the damage minus the deductible.
Thank you for all the answers. I will report what I get from VW...:eek:
I don’t think will be a problem turning in car as is. Good luck, and let us know how it went with the buyback.

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
Is the title clear, loan paid off? If so file for insurance and collect the money and then turn it in for the buy back as is. If there is a lien then this can't happen without clearing it first. With a lien they will require repairs be done. The buy back plus $3k would be nice!
My JSW was sideswiped two months before the turn-in date and then rear-ended about a month before. We had a loan on the car but both insurance claims went directly to us. I think they told us that if the car was going to be totaled they'd have to pay the lender first, but not otherwise.

The dealer took the car back without issue regarding the accident damages.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Usually when there is a lender involved, the lender wants the car fixed to restore the property value secured by the loan. Letting the payment go only to the "owner" usually results in the lender getting cheated. I am surprised you got it that way.

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
My credit union told me they didn't care what we used the check for as long as we continued making payments.

Similar thing happened to our eGolf before Thanksgiving when someone hit it while parked at work. Insurance asked if we wanted the check sent to us or the shop. It's a lease so we had it repaired but we haven't heard one word from VW finance about the accident or repairs.

But I don't disagree with your logic, just that how it's handled likely varies by state and is a conversation one can have with one's lender and insurance company as to how to handle the payout.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
True, but a bad lender practice to not require your collateral be kept in at least as good of a condition as when the loan was made. Like you said it probably varies from lender to lender and state to state. Not my logic, but has been my experience.

Djoisan

TDI
none
You can get insurance completely because that's what it exists for. However, will it cover the repair of a significant dent in the driver's door if you say that the door was badly damaged there? I think you can consult a good lawyer over the phone. Or even his secretary. This question is quite solvable and very simple. Of course, it depends on your insurance, on the situation on the road. Do you have a DVR? You can ask what you are interested in here rflaw.net. I'm sure they'll help you. Good luck and take care of yourself.

Last edited: