Rawtek EGR/DPF Delete...which setup?

LIEBHERR

TDI
2011 Jetta
Wondering which Rawtek exhaust setup is right for me..
Prefer a Quiet as possible exhaust setup, with better then stock mpg & power gain.

So which setup do i need to order?
-High flow cat?
-Resonator?
-Or a combination of the two cat & resonator?
(not interested in a "straightpipe"....those are too loud!)

Does anyone here actually have one of these setups?
And if so,....which Malone ECM tune did you add to it?
Do you have ACTUAL "gain" Data?

Thanks in advance guys n gals

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Mostly, unless you are going for insane power, a different exhaust is a waste of money/time. A stock exhaust is good for at least 200 HP.

These cars are not the same as 1940's designed naturally aspirated V8 gas engines. A lot of things those fossils did to their engines does not apply to a TDI such as a less restrictive exhaust, port and polish etc.

Last edited:

YukonLT

Veteran Member - TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2010 Golf TDI 6MT
Neither, buy a Buzzken set up and save yourself a bunch of $$$.

And a tune is an absolute must if you are going the delete route.

LIEBHERR

TDI
2011 Jetta
Im not looking to gain alot more power...more MPG's be nice tho!
I had a CEL, replaced the EGR and it still came back on...
This time its the DPF that needs replacing, according to the code..

Not going to spend that kind of money on a wayyy overpriced can, since Texas doesnt do emissions on Diesel vehicles.
Much rather install a complete EGR/DPF delete kit instead, and be done with that "clean-diesel" crap.

Does a "Buzzkin" setup require an ECM tune aswell??

Cptcrnch

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI wagon; 2014 Golf TDI (buyback 7/26/17)
Wondering which Rawtek exhaust setup is right for me..
Prefer a Quiet as possible exhaust setup, with better then stock mpg & power gain.
So which setup do i need to order?
-High flow cat?
-Resonator?
-Or a combination of the two cat & resonator?
(not interested in a "straightpipe"....those are too loud!)
Does anyone here actually have one of these setups?
And if so,....which Malone ECM tune did you add to it?
Do you have ACTUAL "gain" Data?
Thanks in advance guys n gals
I have the Rawtek straight pipe setup to the stock muffler (no cat or resonator). I too didn't want loud and obnoxious either and am very happy with the sound. Slightly louder and deeper and stock but not overly loud or droning. With no cat it smells like a diesel now. It doesn't bother me but something to keep in mind. Is it giving me more power? Probably not. As was already mentioned the stock exhaust is pretty good. I mainly did it to rid the car of the DPF and EGR systems to avoid the headache you have now.

I also added the Malone Stage 2 tune with DPF/EGR delete and the DSG tune. I don't have any hard numbers but the butt dyno is very happy lol. I also noticed better mpg by 2-3mpg. However I have only filled up twice since getting the work done so I don't have enough to say if that's legit yet. I had been averaging 39 and its been around 41/42. However warmer temps may be the cause of this.

Last edited:

YukonLT

Veteran Member - TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2010 Golf TDI 6MT
Im not looking to gain alot more power...more MPG's be nice tho!
I had a CEL, replaced the EGR and it still came back on...
This time its the DPF that needs replacing, according to the code..

Not going to spend that kind of money on a wayyy overpriced can, since Texas doesnt do emissions on Diesel vehicles.
Much rather install a complete EGR/DPF delete kit instead, and be done with that "clean-diesel" crap.

Does a "Buzzkin" setup require an ECM tune aswell??
Any delete set up you choose will require a tune so your car doesn't run the regeneration cycles for the DPF anymore. The most popular choice is a Malone Stage II tune with ECO. I recommended the Buzzken set up because it's much cheaper and does the exact same thing as the Raw-Tek. Plus, Ken's and easy guy to deal with and won't steer you wrong.

All for off-road use, of course.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
BuzzKen also uses a true diesel catalyst in his systems so that once it's heated up it reduces the raw diesel smell :)

My understanding is that the Rawtek exhaust uses a simpler metallic cat that doesn't work quite as good.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
Also unless you are looking for big numbers hp wise the stock muffler with a resonator will give you results very close to that of a stock sounding exhaust system.

gloaming

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf 6MT CR170 (Sold); 2004 R32 (not a TDI)
BuzzKen also uses a true diesel catalyst in his systems so that once it's heated up it reduces the raw diesel smell :)

My understanding is that the Rawtek exhaust uses a simpler metallic cat that doesn't work quite as good.
Rawtek apparently got a new catalyst source that is improved over the previous one. I can't comment on it yet; I'm going to install mine after a few spring runs at the track.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
Rawtek apparently got a new catalyst source that is improved over the previous one. I can't comment on it yet; I'm going to install mine after a few spring runs at the track.
That's cool to hear. Let us know how it works out :cool:

614Diesel

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI 6 Speed Loyal Ed. / 2000 Jetta TDI (RIP)
I'm on my third tank since I swapped my old system out for the buzzken with resonator attached to the banks 3'' straight pipe out the back and couldn't be happier with the MPG improvement. I'm averaging over 45 mpgs and am using the Malone stage 2 tune. I was concerned that it would be loud but didn't want the original muffler, resonator takes care of that I drive mainly highway and won't hear the exhaust unless I start getting on it over 2.5k besides that it's all turbo whistle, no drone. I'd go with buzzken unless you just like spending more money on something that does the same thing.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
/\ This!

Unless you have big turbo plans I'd say the 2.5" that buzzken offers is likely the best bang for the buck. FWIW the Rawtek only comes in 3" which is overkill on anything below a stage 3.5. It won't hurt anything, but IMHO it's just a bit of overkill if all you're after is bumping up the MPG numbers along with a nice bump in torque which a stage 2 will give in spades :)

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
I got the buzzken 3" as well. Almost went with the rawtek at first (because they were having a Christmastime special) and slept on it. Couldn't justify A) the higher prices, and B) paying nearly $200 more for shipping (both coming from Canada, and probably relatively close in weight).

Noticed you're in Dallas - I got mine installed at Digi Sport Performance in Denton. Brian and his techs did a fantastic job. My setup has the stock muffler (for now), catback and resonator.

Was a fordie

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
I just got my car back yesterday from getting the rawtek Eco with resonator set up installed and then at the end I also had a bank's power monster exhaust single entry exhaust tip added I like it so far it's a really nice sound got the rawtek Eco DPF delete EGR delete kit.. definitely can feel a power increase and got that stage 2 tune from Malone with the DSG tuning and dynamic idle and DPF/egr delete on the tune

whizznbyu

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen 6 speed manual. B5 died at 302k miles.
I just got my car back yesterday from getting the rawtek Eco with resonator set up installed and then at the end I also had a bank's power monster exhaust single entry exhaust tip added I like it so far it's a really nice sound got the rawtek Eco DPF delete EGR delete kit.. definitely can feel a power increase and got that stage 2 tune from Malone with the DSG tuning and dynamic idle and DPF/egr delete on the tune
PRIOR to getting you Dynamic idle, did your VW idle at 1050-1100 rpm when ambient temps were below 40F? My bone stock Mk7 does.

BRIAN427COBRA

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta, 2015 Passat SEL
I went with the Rawtek, Eco Kit, once the stock stuff is removed the install took me 2 hours, I went with Malone Stage 2 tune via Flashzilla, don't buy the tune from RT, go directly to Malone for 100 bucks cheaper, I still have the stock muffler on, on my 55 mile one way commute the dash says 50+mpg, my fill ups work out to 44mpg.

Was a fordie

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
the banks power monster exhaust with the single outlet 3.5 inch sounds really wicked.. gets rid of the entire stock muffler..

whizznbyu

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen 6 speed manual. B5 died at 302k miles.
Those of you who deleted, are you still using the same type of oil recommended by the manual? Which non-507.00 oil you use?

packmule97

TDI
mk6 golf
Those of you who deleted, are you still using the same type of oil recommended by the manual? Which non-507.00 oil you use?
no, have been using mobile delvac esp 5w30 for about 12k miles. Unpopular opinion but I felt that without the emissions I couldn't justify the need to keep sourcing stuff that for the most part was developed for longevity of equipment I no longer have. The car doesn't seem to mind as the oil looked great before getting to my second interval of this stuff, but I will be honest in that I have yet to submit a UOA. On bobtheoilguys forum people have been using standard diesel oil (full synthetic just not german spec) and are getting great and sometimes better UOA's, of course that is always a try at your own risk kinda thing don't have it added yet but I drive a 2013 golf, 39531miles, full emissions deletes since 13k-ish miles, intake flappers gone, mrtuning stage 2+ w/hardcut limiter and optional heavier smoke setting (I like to f**k with my diesel truck having buddies) still able to average about 45-46mpg according to fill up receipts