rattling noise around 2000 rpm

andyman7931

TDI
14 tiguan, 15 golf, 99 jetta/g3f
I've been experiencing a weird rattling noise that is getting worse over time. It only happens on a warm engine, the oil temp has to be over 185 and cat temp > 500 F. Under moderate engine load (25%-60% throttle) there is what sounds like an exhaust buzzing from 1500rpm to 2500rpm. Getting ready to take it in to the dealer to see what they can diagnose. The noise has been getting worse over time, now it's to the point that I can't drown it out with music.

I poked around to try to see what could be loose and the only things I came up with were the mesh around the flex joint on the exhaust was a little loose as well as the wastegate actuator rod would slip and pop as I touched it.

Anyone have any similar issues? Things to look for/at? My car has 20k on the clock now, first started making noise at 10k.

WildChild

TDI
2015 Golf Comfortline TDI 6MT
I'm just in the middle of a 5K KMs (3000 miles) road trip and I also started to notice a rattling noise that seems to the normal "diesel clatter" a few people mentioned here, between 1800-2000 RPM. 24K KMs (15000 miles) on the clock. Not sure if it is normal or not.

The fuel consumption is getting a lot better than when I got the car though!

andyman7931

TDI
my fuel consumption keeps getting better too. Not sure if it's due to the engine breaking in or the warm weather or both. I frequently get over 50mpg combined driving per tank now, on trips I've seen as high as 63mpg with the cruise set to 65.

I have to think that my noise isn't normal diesel clatter due to the high frequency of the sound. Also my mk6 didn't do anything similar nor did my mk4 and the mk4 clattered a lot compared to these new ones.

VW_TDi_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf-S TDi with DSG
I have the same exact sound. I thought I was crazy, but thank you for bringing it up. I made my appointment for my 10,000 mile service & a leaking window washer jet. I want to have them diagnose that buzzing sound as well and If you do find out what it is before me can you please let me know on this thread.

CoJoNEs

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf; 2015 Golf
I'm hearing a noise at the same rpm's, generally when I'm on the highway. It pulses for me, a consistent pulse but does not increase/decrease with speed.

VW_TDi_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf-S TDi with DSG
Well it makes me wonder if its normal. I did mention it to the service writer about the buzzing sound a few weeks back when I had the software update done and he said it may be the turbo actuator working. I don't know if that helps or makes sense.

andyman7931

TDI
mine's going in tomorrow morning. I'll post what the dealer says.

I drove my car 200 miles today and played with varying speeds/revs. The noise starts for me at 1500 rpm with 7 psi of boost. The noise gets louder with revs & boost, up to 2400 rpm and up to 20 psi of boost. In some gears at full throttle the noise goes away. the frequency of the noise appears to be mostly related to boost pressure. My uneducated guess would be the wastegate actuator rod end is causing the noise. I feel VW should own this problem and come up with a fix instead of me having to figure it out. We'll see what they have to say.

it's good to hear others with similar noises, hopefully it's an easy fix.

manyVAGs

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI
This may or may not be your problem but my wife's car had a rattle which sounded like metal on metal from the rear of the car. I found that the problem was the tools in the tool kit bouncing against each other. I identified the problem by removing the tool kit and shaking it. The problem was solved by placing some paper towels between the metal tools.

andyman7931

TDI
just got back from the dealer. The tech test drove the car and identified the noise. He then started poking around and found one of the plastic covers under the driver's footwell area was assembled wrong and was loose. He repaired and couldn't duplicate. I put 20 miles on it since and can't either so hopefully that's the issue.

CoJoNEs

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf; 2015 Golf
...found one of the plastic covers under the driver's footwell area was assembled wrong and was loose...
on the outside/underside of the driver footwell? If so this could be my problem as well, I swear this is where I am hearing it.

steve1479

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI
I'm having this issue with my '15 Jetta

Can you post pics of the the panels mentioned? Is it on the inside of the car under the dash or outside of the vehicle underneath it?