Rattle in front right

79TA7.6

Veteran Member
Live: Wilbur/Creston; Work: Moses Lake Washington
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta, 2002 TDI Golf, 2005 TDI Golf
So over the last week I have noticed that my car has developed a nasty sounding rattle in the front right drive train area. This rattle sounds like a heavy metal rattle, almost like something is flopping around. It only does it under no load, no back load conditions. In other works it does not do it under acceleration or if I let the car engine brake. If I lightly let off the throttle it will do it and also does it at certain speeds with the clutch in or out and trans in neutral.

I have been thinking axle as the only work I have done to the drive train is a clutch swap, but that was 40k miles ago. If the axle were to somehow come loose from the trans would it cause a rattle? I still need to crawl under it to take a look, but I have no place inside to do it and it is in the 20s right now. I am hoping to do it this weekend, but I am just after some ideas of what it could be, or if I am on the right track thinking axle. Would a bad CV joint make a rattle? I know they pop when making a turn, just not sure about a rattle.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Check everything, but I had a 2" section of my front spring break off and just lay in the strut tray. It rattled just about every time the car moved. Easy to check just reach up over the tire to the base of the coil spring where it sets in the strut tray and see if anything is loose.

Could be loose brake pads, sway bushings or LCA, and of course check your axle, make sure those 6 triple square bolts that hold the inner axle to the flange are all still tight.

79TA7.6

Veteran Member
Live: Wilbur/Creston; Work: Moses Lake Washington
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta, 2002 TDI Golf, 2005 TDI Golf
I was able to look the car over yesterday. The only thing I saw wrong was the front sway bar was loose. I am not sure if that is the issue or not. I live on a gravel road and have not had time to get it on the pavement to see if the noise goes away. I will let you know when I do though.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
The sway bar should not be loose, should be fairly easy to tighten. Those bolts do work loose especially on rough roads. I live on a gravel (dirt) road also.