Rattle/Fix Thread

HercNav

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI DSG w/Nav
Below is what I've found with the help of othera like Whiplash Willy. Good luck all…fun car, nice styling, love the diesel power.

Items I use to help stop rattles. Left to right: felt, zip ties of a couple sizes, and rubber. I like the zip ties because the different sizes provide variable pressure where trim pieces come together. The end is larger enough to handle and is visible once placed to remind me where I think the rattle is until sure. The rubber is from a trailer hitch ball cover that was just the right thickness for some areas – the Center console HVAC area.

B Pillar in Headliner. My headliner was replaced for missing or broken clips which resulted in significant sagging along the back edge…you could see under the headliner looking through the rear window. I starting hearing what is best described as “rice krispies” above my left ear around the B pillar. I isolated it in the headliner just behind the B pillar near the window and could stop it when I press on headliner. It turns out the edge of the headliner was starting to separate and the foam was making the rice krispies noise. When I touched the edge it made the sound. I could get access to the headliner by being careful and pulling it below the weather-stripping. I put some fabric glue suitable for foam in the gap and press it together with some small clamps. The sound has been significantly reduced (60-70%) for most of the road surfaces that used to make the noise and still goes away completely when I push it up. I’m trying to see what else to do…maybe placing some foam household weather-stripping beneath the headliner might dampen the movement enough to eliminate it. Even the local service manager doesn't like this design, but having them work is not the best option in my opinion.

Instrument Cluster Trim Buzz. This one has been talked about a lot. For me it’s definitely coming from the lower left where the selector button is. When I hear the buzz and push on the trim around the button it stops. With a tiny flat head screwdriver I was able to wedge enough space to get some felt in behind the button area, but it hasn’t eliminated the buzz. I read about the Styrofoam placed behind the middle bottom piece of the trim and will tried that with no improvement. I finally attempted to remove the trim and it came out pretty easily with smooth steady pressure pulling (prying) at the clip point which are just to the inside of the vents on either side of the instrument cluster. I remove just the left side and had enough room to work. As I looked where the button passes through the trim I could see a plunger rod with a tiny spring around it. I bumped the trim and it vibrated with some noise. I wrapped the spring with felt and tape to hold it in place. I also put a strip of felt where the button first passes through the trim as that was loose. I then put some electrical tape (as it soft) around the vent clips and the inside of the trim where it meet the tach…thinking where hard plastics meet. I put it all back together and I would say it’s 99% fixed although it may appear somewhere else Whiplash Willy put did some work and the noise seemed to move. The combination of the suspension transmitting the road vibration to the hard plastic is the combination that causes all these rattles, but the 1% remaining is a much muted buzz, the harsh one is gone and I’m satisfied. Knowing now what it is, it not necessary to get the trim out. If you use a skinny flathead screwdriver, butter knife or trim tool you can pry open the trim by the button and stuff felt in. Make the sure the felt is deep enough to contact the length of the spring and as close to the front where the button and trim are to pad the plastic button. I wasn’t sure this was going to be a success to no pictures of the removed trim. One note to be careful of. The clear plastic over the gauge is very sensitive…even my fingernails have scratched it. You’ll notice the felt I tried around the gauges and trim in previous attempts to isolate the buzzing.

Center Console (HVAC) creak. Another common one. 99% fixed with a wedge between where the HVAC console trim meets the lower trim surrounding the gear selector. Use a flat head screwdriver to pry it apart and place it in there and be sure some of it wrap down the outside.

Driver’s Seat Creak. Get frequent creak when turning, some acceleration from a stop and getting in/out of the car. It wouldn’t reproduce when I took it to the dealer, but will re-address at 10,000 service. It may a spot weld that broke or some play in the rail guide…we’ll see.

Overhead Console. Lots of creaks when I touch anything up there, but only one while driving. The speaker covers vibrate so I placed a small zip tie on the side…fixed. Could be both speakers.

Gear Selector Trim. The brushed metal surround rattled. I placed some felt under the top right edge and a zip tie on the side…fixed.

Passenger Recline Lever Rattle. This one sounds like it was coming from the door, but when I bumped (like a back-hand 1/3 the way up) the passenger backrest it reproduced so knew it was in the seat. It comes from the recline lever center circle trim piece. I placed some rolled up tool cabinet drawer liner material behind the hollowed out level to provide pressure and it’s fixed it. Only thing is every once in a while it needs to be redone…trying to find a more permanent material that stays in place.

Left Rear Passenger Door Rattle. The door rattles when being closed. It sound like it’s a cable behind the trim vibrating when the door is closed. I pried the silver trim over slowly and through the middle larger square whole I indeed saw a cable…for the interior door latch. I put my finger in there to press the cable against the door and when I bump the panel no rattle. We I released the cable and bumped the panel…rattle. To wrap the cable fully you’d have to remove the entire door panel, but I didn’t want to get that far into is so attempted with where I was. The cable wants to rattle against the inside panel so I stuck some adhesive weather stripping down the inside panel by the cable and that fixed. Again, the transmission of road vibration through the suspension to the hard plastics is going to produced even more rattles.

Drivers Door behind silver trim panel. Just started…probably similar to rear door

Last edited:

HercNav

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI DSG w/Nav
I hear ya Big D. The rest of the car is great so no problems elsewhere...just spreading the word.:D

whiplash willy

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 4-Door Golf TDI 6MT w/NAV & Sunroof
Thanks HercNav for the time you put into this! I hope others will add their fixes as well!

I have a few helpful links that helped me take care of some of my rattles:

1. Here is a CHEAP source of felt tape, that can used to silence some rattles. For $15 you can get 75ft!

http://www.amazon.com/JVCC-FELT-06-Polyester-Felt-thick/dp/B000QC6HVS

I bought this stuff and it is pretty good quality. It beats going to the local hardware store and over paying for a small amount of this stuff.

2. Also, here is the webbed cloth tape that VW uses to wrap wires. Dealer and other sites over charge for it at $30. Here you can find it for $9:

http://www.bold-sport.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&keyword=tape&product_id=86

3. Here is a thread that goes over removing those pesky rattling dash and door trim inserts: (Felt tape can help with this)

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5543152-DIY-mk6-Jetta-GLI-interior-trim-removal-guide

4. Also here is a good video on how to remove your door panels:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzyv8owgI_4

I have a few other things that I will have to dig up to post.

Last edited:

peppy

TDI
2001 Jetta 2011 Jetta
I wish the tech. at the dealer had seen the video on how to remove a door panel. They have had our car for 18 days now.

r4ndys1ngh

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 Jetta TDI
the only rattle i hear in my car is from the door handle from the driver side. it vibrates when i have my music on. If i put my hand around it stops. trying to figure out a situation to stop the vibration

detroitmike

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat DSG
I'm having problems isolating what can be described as a buzzing noise under certain road vibration conditions. It sounds as though it is coming from the rear end of the drivers door trim piece. The buzzing will stop with the slightest pressure to the trim piece or door in that immediate area. I removed the trim and covered it with felt as seen in the photos below but that didn't seem to completely work. Has anyone isolated this and been able to fix it?

vpersico2

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
Hercnav, can you explain more what you did with the Passenger Recline Lever Rattle? I've been fighting this one with no luck.

HercNav

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI DSG w/Nav
Vper,

The overall recline lever is hollow on the backside. You can push your fingers between the seat and the lever and feel the open space behind. The rattle seems to come from the center post in the level vibrating against the overall lever cover/housing. To prevent it place something between the seat and the lever to put some pressure against the lever to keep it from vibrating freely. Anything will work to see if this is the same rattle I have. I'd just wedge a piece of towel behind the lever up against the seat cover. It should fit pretty snug. If this isolates the rattle then you can try and find something that isn't so noticeable like black foam pipe insulation or rolled up tool cabinet drawer liner.

vpersico2

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
Thanks! I know I have the same rattle because it does it when I bang on the rocker right near that seat. I can make it stop by pushing on it with my other hand, but I just couldn't figure out how to make it stop permanently (or semi-permanently)

cm12tdi

TDI
12 Jetta TDI 6MT
Our 12 Jetta tdi has been to the dealer about 8 times since new for a buzzing & rattling noice in the drivers door panel area. Our last visit was to have the door panel replaced that the hamfisted mechanic gouged the **** out of when removing the switch panel. Now with the new door panel installed, the buzzing is worse than ever. Drives me nuts listening to it. Don't know if I want to start messing with it yet as they are still covering this under warranty.

993er

Veteran Member
TDI
None
I remember coming across a rattle/fix thread with lots of pics where the sunglasses holder and overhead/interior light assembly were removed to fix a buzz that came from it.

Would anyone have a link to it. I've searched and have come up empty.

GT4Point6

TDI
2014 Jetta TDI 2105 Passat TDI
My drivers side handle on the roof, when you pull it down, there is a plastic bushing that spins freely and buzzes on certain roads. Folded up a small piece of paper and wedged under the bushing. The paper stays in eve when you use the handle.

This handle is above the drivers left shoulder when seated in the car.

My rear window deck lid rattles with heavy bass. I'll try the zip tie pieces to see if that helps.