Rattle coming from center console - '15 Jetta (Fix)

Scongiundi

TDI
2013 Jetta TDI (6spd manual), 2015 Jetta TDI SE (6spd manual)
I wanted to share this problem with others in case someone else is experiencing the same thing. Both my dad and I purchased used 2015 Jetta TDIs (both 6MT) with ~25,000 miles. In both of our cars, we heard a very noticeable "rattle" coming from somewhere within the center console. The noise was very pronounced when revving the engine at low RPMs (~1100 - 1400 RPM). For example, when starting out in first gear it was very noticeable. At higher RPM, the noise was not noticeable at all. The rattle had a lower pitched sound to it and seemed more embedded, like it was coming from something deeper within the console rather than a clip near the outside of the panel.

The fix was identical for both cars. The noise was coming from the upper line leading into the heater core. This line was vibrating and making noise at certain RPM. To fix, the dealer removed the center console kick panels for access, repositioned the clip to stabilize the line, and placed zip ties around both lines for additional stability.

After this (work was completed under warranty), noise is completely gone. I figured that if our two cars had the same problem, I'm willing to bet others do too.

fastcar4re

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI SEL (purchased as "new" in May 2017).
Thanks for posting that as I have one vibration as you've described, although I have a DSG automatic transmission, and my vibration sounds like it is coming from under the steering wheel area.

Does anyone know if I can get to the heater core on a 2015 Jetta with some simple interior panel pry tools or other simple tools? The reason I ask is that some heater cores are buried in the dash and take hours to get to (e.g. 2005 Passat).

Scongiundi

TDI
2013 Jetta TDI (6spd manual), 2015 Jetta TDI SE (6spd manual)
Thanks for posting that as I have one vibration as you've described, although I have a DSG automatic transmission, and my vibration sounds like it is coming from under the steering wheel area.

Does anyone know if I can get to the heater core on a 2015 Jetta with some simple interior panel pry tools or other simple tools? The reason I ask is that some heater cores are buried in the dash and take hours to get to (e.g. 2005 Passat).
Best video I could find was this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUPm1O-Jfvk
Looks like you will just need to take the center kick panel(s) off.

Last edited:

16vjohn

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
EA288 CVCA 6MT
I finally could take no more of the horrible rattle. At first it was only on startup for a bit, later evolving into relentless rattle at idle and low rpm. As the previous posts suggest, a zip tie, or in my case, some foam, was enough to cure it.

The rattle can be heard very clearly in this video... sorry for the poor camera work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRxCoGh3juk

I really don't like these types of "fixes", but I am unable to find the so-called screw that comes loose at the firewall. As far as I can see, it's just a big rubber grommet and both lines pass through. I don't like how loose those lines are, but it is what it is.... I'll take heater core serviceability even if it does come with rattles.

carnotgas

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta
Hidden Screw

The screw is located between ths two lines at the firewall. I needed a mirror and a light to find it. Its very difficult to see. If its fallen out there will be a screw hole there.

tdi54

Veteran Member
TDI
1981 Rabbit Diesel(sold), 2009 Jetta TDI MT(sold)2010 Jetta TDI MT, 2015 Jetta TDI SEL, DSG, 99 Ford F 350 PSD Dually, 2016 BMW X5 xDrive35d, 2016 535d
You definitely need a mirror to see it. When I mentioned this rattling to the VW dealer, they told me there was a 'tech tip' for this known issue and they tightened the screw which took care of the problem.

16vjohn

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
EA288 CVCA 6MT
Thanks for the tip. I'll make a better effort with a mirror, possibly remove the intake hose. For now, I'm pretty sure the screw is long gone.

CTD_Chevrolet

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Jetta S DSG, '02 Jetta ALH 5spd
Thanks for the tip. I'll make a better effort with a mirror, possibly remove the intake hose. For now, I'm pretty sure the screw is long gone.
Mine is missing as well. I haven't gone to the dealership yet to get it fixed but it's a known issue. I've never had a car with a warranty before so this is all an exciting new adventure for me :D

jmviado

TDI
2015 VW Jetta Tdi SEL
Thank you very much for your post.

I wanted to share this problem with others in case someone else is experiencing the same thing. Both my dad and I purchased used 2015 Jetta TDIs (both 6MT) with ~25,000 miles. In both of our cars, we heard a very noticeable "rattle" coming from somewhere within the center console. The noise was very pronounced when revving the engine at low RPMs (~1100 - 1400 RPM). For example, when starting out in first gear it was very noticeable. At higher RPM, the noise was not noticeable at all. The rattle had a lower pitched sound to it and seemed more embedded, like it was coming from something deeper within the console rather than a clip near the outside of the panel.
The fix was identical for both cars. The noise was coming
After this (work was completed under warranty), noise is completely gone. I figured that if our two cars had the same problem, I'm willing to bet others do too.
I didn't have to take off any panel. It's very accessible from underneath the steering column just right of the accelerator pedal. Just zip tied both heater tubes to take out the slack. Rattle gone! Thank you.

carnotgas

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta
I found the heater box screw to be loose and it would not tighten. The replacement screw part WHT004564 has a larger diameter and fit tightly. The clamp inside the car was contacting the heater box which I rotated.

Dub4life

TDI
2015 Golf
I know I am bringing this back from a while ago. Does anyone happen to have pictures of this? I saw the youtube video, but it looks like you just had to take off the side panel?

I am getting the incredibly annoying rattle and want to make sure I get it taken care of.