Rattle at Idle

Rapid Transit

Veteran Member
TDI
03 4dr Golf GLS
Ever since 11mm pump upgrade and tune I’ve had a rattle coming from center of the dash. This occurs only at 903rpm. I’m wishing I would have opted for the dynamic idle just to get past the harmonics causing my pain. About to tear dash apart to find offender. Anybody else have this affliction?

STDOUBT

Veteran Member
TDI
dos jettas
I think you can raise the idle speed with just VCDS.
I've noticed these dashboards do get creaky over time. Have you tried just smacking it in different spots?

Rapid Transit

Veteran Member
TDI
03 4dr Golf GLS
Thanks for that. I’ll plug in today and bump it up a tad, if I can. I have smacked the dash to no affect. The sound appears to come through center vent deep in the dash. Maybe engine compartment? If I hold RPMs at 950, no vibration. Car is pretty much rattle free with exception of this. Which is rare for the MK4, I understand.

03TDICommuter

Veteran Member
TDI
01' NB, 5spd
I have the same issue with my beetle. At least with it, some of the dash comes apart easily. I’ve removed the center console, wrapped up the radio harness as I was sure the aftermarket adapters were to blame, looked for something else that could rattle, looked underneath - nothing. Still rattles. I wonder if it’s a blend door definitely not an HVAC thing as the rattle didn't change even when changing HVAC settings.

Last edited:

Rapid Transit

Veteran Member
TDI
03 4dr Golf GLS
Added for future searchers.
1999.5 and later A-4 TDI's have engine idle speeds varying from 882 - 945 RPM's and a VAG COM or VW Scan Tool can be used to raise or lower engine revolutions in the following manner:

Example (VAG COM)

1. Click on "Select"

2. Next, on "01 - Engine"

3. Then "Adaptation"

4. Under "Channel Number," scroll to Group 02.

5. Current Idle Speed will be displayed in the upper left-hand corner.

6. Under Channel Number, is a block with 5 digits in it, representing a numeric value of ECU code.

7. Enter your new desired value in place of the existing number or use the up and down arrows to change the existing digits.

8. Minimum value accepted is 32743, which equates to 882 RPM's.

9. Maximum value is 32803 which equals 945 RPM's.

10. Once a new value is entered, click on "Test" to see how this changes the Idle Speed.

11. Finally, don't forget to "Save" the new configuration before "Exiting."

Note: The ECU will only accept digits within the 32743 - 32803 range and whenever a value is entered outside of those digits and tested, the VAG COM will automatically adjust your selection to the highest or lowest acceptable value.

Saving the configuration is the same (whether or not you tested it) and out of range numerical values will be changed to the closest 32743 or 32803 figure.

Thanks to TDI Ray for pointing me in the right direction - Just remember "Engine Adaptation" as a keyword.

[ January 02, 2002: Message edited by: Turbo Steve ]</p>