keaton

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI-less ATM

Dieseline

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 TDI - sold at 350k,2009 TDI -sold back to VW 9/29/17 225k, 2015 TDI SE
Yes I have been bothered by it the past 2 months. Found the issue today. As per VW tsb 80-15-01. Google that. The tiny bolt that holds the heater coses to the firewall pass through loosens up and causes that God awful rattle! My bolt was actually laying in the rubber grommet under the hoses. It's a 6mm headed bolt and maybe half inch long. I used a deep quarter inch 6mm socket and 3 inch extension with a flex head ratchet. Took about 5mins but really is a pita. Fixed it this morning and just drove 50 miles, all quiet! Good luck!

Dieseline

Veteran Member
TDI
And you'll find the heater hose connection I'm referring to directly behind the oil fill cap, on the firewall.

keaton

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI-less ATM
Yes I have been bothered by it the past 2 months. Found the issue today. As per VW tsb 80-15-01. Google that. The tiny bolt that holds the heater coses to the firewall pass through loosens up and causes that God awful rattle! My bolt was actually laying in the rubber grommet under the hoses. It's a 6mm headed bolt and maybe half inch long. I used a deep quarter inch 6mm socket and 3 inch extension with a flex head ratchet. Took about 5mins but really is a pita. Fixed it this morning and just drove 50 miles, all quiet! Good luck!
And you'll find the heater hose connection I'm referring to directly behind the oil fill cap, on the firewall.
that one is tight if its the same one we are talking about. this is on the left side that bolt is on the right size of the drivers foot well

Dieseline

Veteran Member
TDI
The bolt is outside the car. Inside sounds like it's coming from lower left, above brake pedal. That tab also talks of the clamp on the pipe inside the car. But that was fine on my car. The assembly shakes and rattles and vibrates inside the car. Just trying to help you out. I was happy to find the bolt had fallen out, instantly knew that was the problem. It's a joy to drive again, that noise was driving me insane.

keaton

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI-less ATM
The bolt is outside the car. Inside sounds like it's coming from lower left, above brake pedal. That tab also talks of the clamp on the pipe inside the car. But that was fine on my car. The assembly shakes and rattles and vibrates inside the car. Just trying to help you out. I was happy to find the bolt had fallen out, instantly knew that was the problem. It's a joy to drive again, that noise was driving me insane.
thanks. I will look again, was looking in the cabin under the dash.

Dieseline

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeah that's mentioned in the tsb I gave him. He said that was fine already. Such an annoying rattle\buzz from 2 small parts..

Scongiundi

TDI
2013 Jetta TDI (6spd manual), 2015 Jetta TDI SE (6spd manual)
Ah, missed it. Have you been able to find the technical bulletin online? If so, can you link it?

Dieseline

Veteran Member
TDI
I was able to view it with on demand pro at work. I'm sure there's something online that has to link to it. I gave a pretty thorough description to the op of where the bolt is and how to go about tightening it. If you can't find anything by after Christmas,when I go back to work, I'll see if I can send you the tsb.

Scongiundi

TDI
2013 Jetta TDI (6spd manual), 2015 Jetta TDI SE (6spd manual)
I was able to view it with on demand pro at work. I'm sure there's something online that has to link to it. I gave a pretty thorough description to the op of where the bolt is and how to go about tightening it. If you can't find anything by after Christmas,when I go back to work, I'll see if I can send you the tsb.
I have not been successful in searching for it. If you find it I would appreciate it. I’d just like to have it for my records.

Dieseline

Veteran Member
TDI
If either of you know how to post pics on this site, send me a message with your email and I'll send you the document. Then you can post it so anyone else having this problem can reference it.

keaton

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI-less ATM
so i was able to look at the TSB. when i looked on the car the bolt is not there... guess it vibrated lose till it fell out.

Dieseline

Veteran Member
TDI
Just like mine Keaton. Check in the boot, mine was laying in one of it's folds. Glad it helped you find the culprit! Can you post the pic I sent you?

soldierguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Jetta TDI S DSG
So for those of you that have fixed this yourself, how did you manage to get at the connection on the firewall? I can't get my hand in there to see if the screw is loose, or even if it's still there.

Also, the second pic in the post above this one...where is that? The part in the top pic was easy to find, but my hand is too big to fit.

I tried nosing around from inside the car, but no love. If I need to I'll mention the TSB to the dealer when I take it in for service at 20K, but if I can do this myself I'd rather take care of it.

Thanks in advance.

soldierguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Jetta TDI S DSG
Never mind on the DIY fix...saw it described earlier in the thread. I think the bolt on mine is missing, so I’m going to see if I can get in there and try some spare bolts I have in the garage. If I can’t fix it, the Jetta is going in for the 20K service in about a month, and I’ll have it looked at then.