Raspberry Pi CPU Integration

brandonkraemer

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 TDI 1.9L 5spd ALH VE mkIV Jetta Wagon
Recently I was turned onto the Raspberry Pi simple CPU concept and I immediately wondered if it could be reliably wired into a TDI? A few questions came up...

Is there a safe power solution for a permanent installation?

Could it be directly interfaced to the same VAGCOM port that VCDS uses but instead to the GPIO ports on the Pi, without a special converter cable?

Could VCDS run directly on the Pi, either with the Win Mobile OS or a raspian distro?

With a touch screen LCD would this be a slick "always on" VCDS integration for a ALH?

Or... is there an open source (free) tool that does what VCDS does?

Is it possible for the Pi to replace the ECU? I know... crazy talk but...

Anyone messed with these concepts?

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
Just my suggestion: might make sense to start by defining the "why", as opposed to the "what".

In other words, why do you want to hook a XXXXX up to your TDI?

Once you are clear on the "why" you can then ask "OK, then what's the best tool for this job?" Might be a Pi, might be Arduino, might be a cheap Android tablet with an existing OBD interface already written, might be an off-the-shelf Scangauge will get you there much quicker.

Because the answer to your question is, of course: With the right software and hardware ANYTHING is possible. :)

Last edited:

gatz

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Mk4 Golf TDI PD, 2006 MkV Golf GTI
I wouldn't suggest it. VCDS only runs in windows. You would need to run QEMU to emulate an x86 processor on the RPI, then install Windows and do hardware usb passthrough. The RPI 2 model B has 1 gig of ram, which is barely enough. Even if it worked, its CPU emulation would run like a dog. And you do need an official VCDS cable either way.

brandonkraemer

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 TDI 1.9L 5spd ALH VE mkIV Jetta Wagon
Gatz, since Windows offers ioT for free and it works with RPi, is it capable of running VCDS w/o the QEMU? Is there no VCDS cable alternate path?

Vince, I think the "why" im asking is a discrete (hardwired) but dedicated extension of the ECU or VCDS without external laptop or tablet hardware that are also handling other tasks.

Last edited:

gatz

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Mk4 Golf TDI PD, 2006 MkV Golf GTI
No it still will not work. VCDS has drivers and a native compiled app, both of which are compiled for X86 architecture. They wont work on an ARM version of Windows. I *think* possibly .NET apps may be able to run on IoT but not sure. Regular apps like VCDS will not work unless specifically compiled for ARM.

Possibly an Intel based system like the Intel Galileo 2 might do it. Cannot confirm or deny there.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
Vince, I think the "why" im asking is a discrete (hardwired) but dedicated extension of the ECU or VCDS without external laptop or tablet hardware that are also handling other tasks.
OK, that helps. Now, does your ECU extension pull error codes and show engine operating parameters in real time (a sort of extra dashboard)... or is the idea to perform the full-meal-deal features offered by VCDS including diagnostics, graphing, and manipulating measuring blocks.

Displaying engine parameters would be a fairly easy coding project since the calls would be standard and well-documented OBDII calls, and off-the-shelf OBD2 to USB interface cables are dirt cheap on eBay.

Or, there are off-the-shelf products ready to go.

Offering the full VCDS deal is a much bigger programming nut to crack, since you'd need to reverse engineer VW's proprietary protocol that goes much deeper than OBD2... which is what the good folks at Ross-Tech have spent years honing.

One other thought: there's a thread here somewhere on interfacing Arduino to CANBus... which could be another interface to consider if your car is young enough to support it.

Last edited:

BioDiesel'

TDI
1998 Jetta Elsbett single-tank, 230K WVO miles
This sit ehas th ebasics of what is required
http://sourceforge.net/projects/obdcon/

thisone runs on the Pi:
http://elmelectronics.com/obdsoftware.html

Basically , you need an OBDII interface which is either a modified optically isolated 1 line serial port, or CAN, and then you would have to implement the protocol to query parameters. You could do it with almost any platform that has a serial port or a CAN port, but its a bit of work.

Last edited:

Jesta1989

TDI
Vw Golf 2004 Mk5 GTTDI 140 BKD
Currently working on this myself I have installed an arm version of windows mobile on my raspberry pi 3b I agree it may run like a dog but i’m going to test this out plugged into my head unit and Vag com cable and see how badly it runs. This would be great to have vcds on my pioneer head unit to save carrying my laptop everywhere and raspberry pi’s get more technical and a bit faster every year.

mid it’s not up to the job i’m sure another brand of single circuit pc will work as there are others with a lot more processing power. Failing this I may run a very stripped down laptop board hidden in my car wired to my head unit.

turbodieseldyke

Veteran Member
TDI
98 jetta
Rather than a laptop, I'd try one of those 4-inch all-in-one PC's that were meant to hang from the back of a desktop flatscreen. (never owned one, so the name escapes me). Those things are x86 and should run windoze & vagcom natively.

Jesta1989

TDI
Rather than a laptop, I'd try one of those 4-inch all-in-one PC's that were meant to hang from the back of a desktop flatscreen. (never owned one, so the name escapes me). Those things are x86 and should run windoze & vagcom natively.
I think I know what you mean the tiny pcs that Buisnesses use attached to there networks

Jesta1989

TDI
I have already asked the question if this is possible to do on the Ross tech forum and they don’t think it will run well on a pi if at all but I still wanna try it to prove to myself it’s no good before I get deeper into the project.

turbodieseldyke

Veteran Member
TDI
98 jetta
I think the pi-killer is mentioned in post#5 -- the x86-vs-ARM problem. Good luck though. There's also a concern of leaving an ultra-powerful tool like vagcom permanently dialed into your car. No telling what mayhem could happen if the wrong hands logged in.

Jesta1989

TDI
Intel NUC, I think, is one example of what you might be referring to.
I agree this would be more than suitable typical that i’m drawn to the most expensive one that I can’t afford 😂

Intel NUC6i7KYK skull canyon Core i 7 fully assembled PC

The Intel NUC6i7KYK features the energy efficient Skylake Core i7-6770HQU Quad core processor and boasts integrated Intel® Iris™ Pro Graphics 580 and DDR4 memory. Its features 2x M.2 SSD this allow for 1 or 2 high speed SSDs to be installed. The chassis design looks like nothing else in the range and has been design for extremely efficient cooling as well as stunning looks . Connectivity is generous for a mini PC, the highlights include support for super fast Thunderbolt 3 , USB 3.1, & HDMI 2.0. The Intel NUC6i7KYK is still very compact however, and can be mounted on the back of a suitable monitor using the included Vesa mounting bracket
Base specification (this is configurable using options)
  • 6th generation Skylake Intel® Core™ i7-6770HQ processor (2.6 to 3.5 GHz turbo, Quad Core, 6 MB Cache, 45W TDP)
  • Intel® Iris™ Pro Graphics 580
  • 4Gb DDR4 RAM
  • 120GB m.2 SSD
  • 1x Mini DisplayPort and 1x full size HDMI 2.0 port supporting Dual independent display capability
  • Intel Gigabit Ethernet controller
  • One Thunderbolt 3 port with USB 3.1
  • Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260 (802.11ac), 2×2, up to 867 Mbps, Dual Mode Bluetooth* 4.2
  • Four Super Hi-Speed USB 3.0 ports (two back
  • panel ports and two front ports including one
  • charging port)
  • Up to 7.1 surround audio via HDMI and Mini DisplayPort, Headphone/Microphone jack on the front panel,
    Combo speaker/TOSLINK audio output on the
    back panel
  • 19V, 120W AC-DC power adapter
  • Dimensions: 211 mm x 116 mm x 28 m

Jesta1989

TDI
I think the pi-killer is mentioned in post#5 -- the x86-vs-ARM problem. Good luck though. There's also a concern of leaving an ultra-powerful tool like vagcom permanently dialed into your car. No telling what mayhem could happen if the wrong hands logged in.
I get what you’re saying but you would have to be very desperate to want to steal my car it’s crap but I love it 😂

Jesta1989

TDI
There are worse things than theft.
True but once again you would have to have something very wrong with you to want to mess with someone’s car that’s not a particularly outstanding example don’t think anyone thief of hacker would look twice at my car 😂

turbodieseldyke

Veteran Member
TDI
98 jetta
  • 19V, 120W AC-DC power adapter
Dear godinheaven, they can't make these things run on 12v YET????? This takes me back to 1990-something, when i really wanted to play CD MP3s in my car, but there no headunits yet, and the only portable player i could find ran on 20v. So i had to find a DC-DC up-converter, which didn't exist as a built module, so i'd have to buy the chip and build one, so i just stopped caring about it.

Jesta1989

TDI
Dear godinheaven, they can't make these things run on 12v YET?????
I’m not bad with electrics but not great either but I can get around that and it does seem weird as older desktops have a 12v output from there power suplys not sure maybe it’s due to all the tech in this one??

turbodieseldyke

Veteran Member
TDI
98 jetta
I’m not bad with electrics but not great either but I can get around that and it does seem weird as older desktops have a 12v output from there power suplys not sure maybe it’s due to all the tech in this one??
Hmm, never seen a 12v out. Are you thinking of that "monitor plug" on the back, that's just a 110/220v passthrough from the main power cord? edit: oh wait, maybe you're thinking of the 4-wire yellow/black that supplies extra 12v to the cpu.

I know the power supply to an ATX motherboard has different voltages, including -12v or something, but nothing over +12v. The 19v is a standard for laptop batteries, which use five 3.6v lithium cells inside, so i can see them using the same laptop charger for a NUC. But still. Just make it 12v/19v input. Let it run on 12v, but if the user supplies 19v, kick it down internally with a 12v regulator.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
RIP-2010 Jetta 6spd 2014 Touareg Execline
Neat.... but why does your HU have round corners and the bezel it fits into has square corners? Is that some spacer you made or does Pioneer sell something like that? That would drive me nuts..... it's doing it right now, and it's not even my car!

Jesta1989

TDI
Neat.... but why does your HU have round corners and the bezel it fits into has square corners? Is that some spacer you made or does Pioneer sell something like that? That would drive me nuts..... it's doing it right now, and it's not even my car!
Thanks I knew someone would mention that
So I worked at Halfords fitting stereos and that was the kit they provided my head unit as is basically any other is rectangular but golfs have a rounded hole. I got everything discounted there so obviously brought what they had but at a later date discovered that you can buy a facia with the rectangular hole to fit the head unit then not have the head unit Bezzle and an adapter to make the rectangle fit

Jesta1989

TDI
Mate I think if you look at the pic better it’s obvious the head unit has rectangle facia most head units come with them the bit around that is a slightly bigger rectangle with rounded corners to fit the hole vw leave in the Center console

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
RIP-2010 Jetta 6spd 2014 Touareg Execline
Sorry but the chrome profile on your screen is not the same as the hole it's stuffed into, regardless of who profiled the cutout.

There should be a 3x larger fillet on the corners of the spacer for my OCD eye to accept it. LOL

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
The head unit fit looks fine to me. The clutch pedal(and the others I'd assume)on the wrong side of the car is what would drive me nuts. Neat hack though.

Jesta1989

TDI
Sorry but the chrome profile on your screen is not the same as the hole it's stuffed into, regardless of who profiled the cutout.

There should be a 3x larger fillet on the corners of the spacer for my OCD eye to accept it. LOL
😂 you got real issues

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
LOL. Pretty easy to 3d print a fascia with TurboABA-compliant fillets though. I didn't notice it until he pointed it out. But when I looked it made me queasy, lol.